Denver area XR's?

Discussion of events in the Mid-West, inclusive of the Rocky Mountain area
Merkur Club web site
euroford

Denver area XR's?

Post by euroford »

I'm up near Boulder, Louisville actually, and am considering getting back into xr's after a hiatus of several years. I'm curious about how many other Denver area xr fans we might have on the forum and would like to pick some brains about how tough it is to deal with our emissions standards and testing before i jump back into it.
Tim M Hovey
1950 CJ3a
1999 F350 PSD 600+ HP mountain hauler
2002 Focus Sedan with SVT Engine
2008 Escape 4 banger
In the market for an XR proj
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Denver area XR's?

Post by milehighXR »

Nobody around here but us crickets :lol:

Seriously though, I'm in Mead, exit 245 from I25 northbound, and moved out this way to avoid smog test. Fat load of good that did me, as they added Weld county in 09 due to oil and gas industry violating ozone. Now that they're clean, and e-test is in place we still have to waste our time and money on it. The XRs(Scorps too) pass with relative ease. Just make sure you take yer heart meds with you as they(the morons running the test centers) don't know the frelling difference between a front drive car and our rear drive cars. The key(in my mind) is to make sure everything is in ship shape, and that the gas cap seal has no cracks in it. If you fail for a gas cap, you still have to rerun the WHOLE fracking test. If you are buying an XR(theres one on Denver CL right now for $2550 firm that supposed to have a refreshed motor) the PO is required by law to provide a passing smog test when you buy it, IF, IF, you are in the 10 county nazi, er smog, controlled area.

I found out recently, that the rules for collectors tags have changed yet again. We'll find out in 2017 when the first XR is eligible under the new rules which are:

75 and older, 1 passing nazi, er smog test until you sell the car, at which time it has to pass smog

76 and newer, must be 32 yrs old, or older, and has to be seen by nazis, er smog, every 5yrs(it is a 5 yr tag)

In the area for owners, we have a few in Boulder, Bill(IMON list not on forums) is very interesting indeed, he is still diggin mud out of his shop though from the flood.

1 in Broomfield, ghost is his handle here, and on MSF, and maybe still on turboford every now and again.

Myself(Johnny) here in Mead, I have a few tools for working on cars, and a few more for the 80s-90s EEC-IV Fords :roll: along with my dad(also in Mead, but he's not on forums, or e-mail list) he works at a local wheel alignment parts factory, and also teaches the wheel alignment courses in Longmont for them. I do a BBQ every august for all the locals, and anyone else that wants to breeze in from out of town. Check out some of my posts.

There's a Scorpio owner in Loveland/Ft Collins, and a few XR owners in the Springs(I think they are still there).
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
euroford

Post by euroford »

awesome man, thanks for the info! I completely understand the frustration with the air-care fiasco!! fortunately, we've only had to bring in the other cars once as they are regularly driven through the roadside etests and the jeep is a grandfathered antique. I have to bring in the diesel once a year no matter what though. drives me nuts watching some guy romp my toy on his dyno. kind of cool getting to hear it from outside though. sounds like a space shuttle launch!! the diesels are done with a full throttle lug-down test, so its pretty exciting.

I'm not 100% sure about this yet, but i might purchase an unfinished project from my buddy down in fort worth. i'll likely trailer the whole thing up home to my shop and spend a couple of years re-doing and finishing a lot of things.

my biggest concern is that i will almost certainly end up with a standalone engine management, the machine discussed above comes with megasquirt edis. i'd just hate to spend several years building up a car to not get plates because of this arbitrary crap. i just have no idea about the level of visual scrutiny, i'll get it to pass the sniff, thats no big deal really! gas cap gasket huh... wow.

funny but true: i have a friend swapped a carb'd 350 chevy into a yota FJ60, drove it up to air care and passed. i figure if they missed that, its not likely they'll know whats going on under the hood of a merker xraty...

also fwiw: i have a really well equipped shop if any locals need a hand with stuff. i do a lot of TIG welding and fabrication on 4x4's and jeeps and stuff.
Tim M Hovey
1950 CJ3a
2008 Escape 4 banger
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

As I understand it from Ghost, they are significantly less concerned about visual as they are in CA. Of course they may not know what they are looking for anyhow. His XR looks nothing like stock under the hood, and he is running E85 with a standalone IIRC, and he passes with no hassles that I am aware of.
Johnny

DCLXVI
euroford

Post by euroford »

that is GREAT news. takes a huge load off my chest.
Tim M Hovey
1950 CJ3a
2008 Escape 4 banger
BassnTruck
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BassnTruck »

I have a project XR with a ton of parts I will let got for a good price.
0 Merkurs left.
slickwilson

Post by slickwilson »

New XR owner in Broomfield :D Just picked up 85 XR with 59k that has been sitting for aprox...20yrs. Trying to sort out all the electrical problems before diving into mods.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Cool you guys are starting to multiply like rabbits :lol:

Slick, Ghost is in Broomfield as well, and I have EVTMs, and service manuals if you need, and volt meters, if you wanna buy some:roll:
Johnny

DCLXVI
Shamshel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shamshel »

I just got back into the XR world since I moved out west. I am based out of the Stapleton area now. Running a mono red 89(third one I have owned).
Rich - Colorado
89 XR4ti - Mono Red, T5, Saab IC, All kinds of awesome!
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

euroford wrote:I'm up near Boulder, Louisville actually, and am considering getting back into xr's after a hiatus of several years. I'm curious about how many other Denver area xr fans we might have on the forum and would like to pick some brains about how tough it is to deal with our emissions standards and testing before i jump back into it.

I've a project for you: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26708

Drop me a PM, you may even be able to look at it tomorrow.
Johnny

DCLXVI
Shamshel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shamshel »

We should have a get together soon, grill up some food and play with our cars. I'd love to meet my fellow local XR crazies. And Euroford I just finished emissions testing last week. Had plenty of room for all my atmospheric poison values.
Rich - Colorado
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I usually do an annual bbq the first weekend in august. I think this year will be 10th in a row.
Johnny

DCLXVI
euroford

Post by euroford »

oh man... been busy. went to europe and didn't see a single damn sierra, rental car agency in koln would have hooked me up with a focus st though we took the train instead to save time.

getting closer to ironing out a couple more of lifes little details and then we can pull the trigger on the xr project.

the jeep is officially not a project any longer. she's been out wheeling three times now, i've ironed out many details and her capability is officially far above average. shes more than ready to get kicked out of the shop and pull regular duty in the real world for awhile.

same thing with the truck. i might think about a HPOP upgrade soon, but its a low priority. running great, passed her etest with flying colors, and three weeks ago she ran 14.7@87 an bandimere. i'm not going to complain, thats a 8,000 pound 16 year old truck.

just so any area xr's know, my garage/shop always has cold beer, and if i'm out tinkering around i'm always happy to share one so long as i get to kick yer tires :)

a shot of the jeep form last weekend:

Tim M Hovey
1950 CJ3a
2008 Escape 4 banger
Shamshel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shamshel »

I may take you up on those cold beers and some tinkering fun. I have 3 broken bolts in the exhaust side of my turbo that I am going to have to remove very soon. Rather do it myself and not pay a machine shop that will end up overcharging me. (Don't have a small machine shop in my garage out here compared to like back home.)
Rich - Colorado
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I have machine shop stuff here in Mead, and beer is usually on hand.
Johnny

DCLXVI