There have been some new developments...
1) I think I may have a vendor who will be sending me some nos KYBs GR-2s shortly. An order has been placed and I have not yet received notice that the items are out of stock. If I receive them I will post the vendor info here.
2) It appears that the 2004 Volkswagen Jetta struts have been successfully adapted to the Xr4ti. I believe they will also work on the Scorpio, as discussed in the Project & Video Forum. The Jetta spindle strut bore is 49.5mm and the Scorpio bore is 51mm. This gap can easily be taken up by a thin sheet metal sleeve. This is attractive because there is a wide variety of struts available for the Jetta. Risk here is that nobody has actually done this on a Scorpio yet.http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=16093
3) Eshocks.com has the Sachs units for $154 each.
4) A vendor in Germany has Sachs for about the same price (when you add the $80 shipping cost)
5) I am in no hurry, perhaps some NOS struts will show up on ebay.
6) There are also sleeve adapters available from a member of this forum to mount the xr4ti struts into the Scorpio for $80. Alternatively I can make my own.
Item 1 is in play. If it falls through I will go to item 2 etc... I have the advantage that I am in no particular hurry.
The car recently passed PA inspection, but I can feel the beginnings of the lower ball joints loosening up.
I have the new control arms ready to go, but if I'm going in there I am going to do everything. Tie rods ends, struts etc...
I don't want to revisit it later on, at least not for a while.