1988 Scorpio For Sale - SOLD

Scorpio cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, DPDISXR4Ti

FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

1988 Scorpio For Sale - SOLD

Post by FocusSVT » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:15 am

Unfortunately it is time for me to move on from my Scorpio project of the past six years. For a complete history of what I have done with this car, look here: http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... 37&t=17558

IF you would like to see the complete picture history of what I have done with it, look here: http://s327.photobucket.com/user/dneedh ... %20Scorpio

Short version:
- Rescued from Texas as an abandoned vehicle from a guy who left it to his neighbor after his house was foreclosed on. Car quit running shortly thereafter and the neighbor posted it here.
- Being a Texas car rust is not an issue, however as the pictures will show, the paint job took a beating. So did the interior of the car. I had rescued a blue 88 Scorpio from Minnesota the year before in hopes of restoring it, but the rust was so bad, it was hopeless. However the interior was in great shape.
- The original color is Raven metallic, but the paint is so badly sunburned, it is basically just black.

Good:
- Leather interior is intact, just a little stiff here and there.
- Mechanically sound.
- Replaced, water pump, belts, power steering pump, power steering rack, KYB shocks and struts, rebuilt a/c system, new condenser, new compressor, new filter/drier, new expansion valve, new Motorcraft fuel pump assembly, new radiator, ABS accumulator out of Blue Scorpio, brake pads, rotors, replaced wheel bearings in the both sides of the front, installed RAPIDO BORLA 2.5" EXHAUST SYSTEM, new catalytic converter.
- Converted from automatic to TYPE - 9 Manual Gearbox. This is the Scorpio gear box. Has new input shaft, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and also new reverse idler gear.
- Upgraded sound system to a Blaupunkt receiver with a 5-disc in-dash CD changer. Blaupunkt speakers in the interior, added a JVC sub amplifier along with an 8" Quart subwoofer in a pioneer box in the trunk.
- Headliner has been replaced.
- All instrument gauges work.
- I change the oil every 3,000 miles like clock work with Trop Arctic Synthetic Blend oil.
- It has a K&N filter. Cleaned every year.

Needs attention:
- Body needs some minor work done and re-painted.
- My daughter backed into the hood a couple of years ago and dented the hood and cracked the grill. I have a new grill and the hood from the Blue Scorpio to go with the car.
- Rear defrost grid was damaged from sitting in the TEXAS heat abandoned for several years. I have the hatch from the Blue Scorpio and the defrost grid is good. This will go with the car if you want it.
- Moon roof works, but I replaced the seal with one that I found on ebay.uk. It physically fits, but doesn't have the metal inner liner in it. It will let the moon roof go up and then back down, but will not retract into the roof. Mike Oyler from merkurdepot.com sells the correct seal.
- The tires were installed 4 years ago. They are Pirelli P5's. They probably have one more year of life on them.
- Lower dash is cracked, but I have a replacement for it. Comes with car.
- Bad ABS wheel sensor. Just bought the test equipment to work on it, but haven't done it yet.
- Bad brake pad sensor wire. Not sure which one.

I can't think of any other issues with the car.
Also includes a Thextron EECIV breakout box with the Ford Rotunda ABS adapter.
Ford Rotunda T-kit for the Scorpio. Includes the tools to remove and install wheel bearings, and also includes the fuel pump locking ring removal tool. The kit is missing a few other misc items.
Also includes shop manual, electrical manual, wiring diagrams, code scanner, and Euro Ford trailer hitch assembly.

I have the clean title in hand for the Black Scorpio.

If you want the blue Scorpio for parts or salvage, it can be included also. I have a title for it, but it was never registered in Kansas. It is fairly stripped out. Most of the interior is in the Black Scorpio. The engine and transmission is still intact, so that is something. I will try to take a few pictures of it later today.

I am located in Andover, KS. Asking $2,000 or best offer. Call or text me at 316-655-6351. Email: dneedham8302@cox.net.

Message me here, or on Facebook.

Pictures:

I have attached a few close up pictures of some of the imperfections on the body. Note: the deformation on the bottom of the passenger side right behind the wheel well was caused before I got the car. Looks like they hit a curb with it or something.

I have also linked a couple of short videos showing the car starting and running. The e-brake is pulled which is why the red brake light stays on after starting. As stated above, there is a bad ABS wheel sensor, so the ABS light stays on. I am including an EECIV breakout box and the ABS adapter to troubleshoot it. This was on my repair list, just hadn't gotten to the top yet.

http://vid327.photobucket.com/albums/k4 ... w8ou0d.mp4

http://vid327.photobucket.com/albums/k4 ... 5ng3t6.mp4
Last edited by FocusSVT on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.

FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 1988 Scorpio For Sale

Post by FocusSVT » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:14 am

Bump . . . reasonable offers will be entertained. Just looking to give her a future.
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:12 pm

Bring it to Carlisle 2017 and we'll hold an auction. I just came up with this idea, and I like it!
Brad

MerkurRS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MerkurRS » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:28 am

I have lots of parts for this car ...heck, I'll sell you a whole parts car! Cheap too.......
2012 Audi S4 Prestige, Black-Optics, APR tuned - runs low-11's
1989 Scorpio-White, a/t- a true survivor car!
1988 Scorpio - Burgundy, a/t- a low mileage survivor!
2004 VW Passat Sedan -W8 6-Speed
2003 VW Passat Variant W8 Auto
1970 Ford XL 390 ci. Convertible
1970 Ford XL 429-4v Convertible
2000 Excursion V10

FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:22 am

Bump, bump. $1500 or best offer.
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.

my8950
Level 5
Level 5

Post by my8950 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:27 am

MerkurRS wrote:I have lots of parts for this car ...heck, I'll sell you a whole parts car! Cheap too.......
I'm looking for some parts. I've posted on here to people parting cars or selling, but no response.
I think this forum gets maybe 1 hit/week.

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:09 pm

my8950 wrote:
MerkurRS wrote:I have lots of parts for this car ...heck, I'll sell you a whole parts car! Cheap too.......
I'm looking for some parts. I've posted on here to people parting cars or selling, but no response.
I think this forum gets maybe 1 hit/week.
At last count, this thread alone has 334 views, so I believe your estimate may be a little off.

I would suggest contacting Saul directly for Scorpio parts as I know he doesn't get on here too often.
Brad

FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:23 am

Thanks to everyone who looked or sent me a message about the car. Bart Dyshuk will be taking possession of both the black Scorpio and my blue parts car next week. It will be a bitter sweet day when the hauler shows up next week to get them, but I know Bart will be able to finish her up in spectacular fashion. On the plus side, I will get the left side of my garage back after several years of the parts car sitting there. My wife will be happy, and I will be alright with it down the road. Thanks again.
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.

Bob Weir
Membership Coordinator

Re: 1988 Scorpio For Sale - SOLD

Post by Bob Weir » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:57 pm

Darren,

My condolenses on the passing on of your Scorpios. I can only imagine the difficulty in making the decision, considering all the work [mental & physical] you've invested. You've been a wonderful and understanding source of knowledge to me and others to assist us in diagnosing and maintaining our Scorpios.

In the event you decide to close the area that contains your Scorpio reconstruction information, please contact me. Hopefully, the MCA can find a home for your valuable information.

Sincerely,
Bob Weir
MCA Membership Coordinator

Good luck to you and yours :cheers

FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 1988 Scorpio For Sale - SOLD

Post by FocusSVT » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:40 am

Bob Weir wrote:Darren,

My condolenses on the passing on of your Scorpios. I can only imagine the difficulty in making the decision, considering all the work [mental & physical] you've invested. You've been a wonderful and understanding source of knowledge to me and others to assist us in diagnosing and maintaining our Scorpios.

In the event you decide to close the area that contains your Scorpio reconstruction information, please contact me. Hopefully, the MCA can find a home for your valuable information.

Sincerely,
Bob Weir
MCA Membership Coordinator

Good luck to you and yours :cheers
I will still be around. I may have had to give it up cold turkey, but I won't delete any of the past 6-7 years worth of work here on the forum.

Take, care.
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.