Scorpio Parts for Sale, Trade, or Free (Sold)

Scorpio cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, DPDISXR4Ti

Merkur Club web site
StratosSpawn

Re: Scorpio Parts for Sale, Trade, or Free (Sold)

Post by StratosSpawn »

I think that it’s probably due to a combination of things. Most people probably are not in need of a replacement windshield (yet) and may be unaware of the lack of supply for them; some people may live in areas where there is no safety inspection required so they are able to live with a slightly cracked windshield; there may be people who are not registered here on MCA, but are only on Facebook and are unaware of any attempts to get a group buy organized. Of course I could be wrong and it’s simply just that there are too few people who actually own Scorpio’s and have them on the road or are trying to keep them on the road.
I’m almost wondering if it requires people to commit to two windshields in order for a group buy to work? I would think for those of us in areas where a crack free windshield is required that buying one to install and a second to have as a spare might be a good idea, but that still requires more than 2-3 people taking part.
I’m really unsure what to do at this point, as we bought the Scorpio based off of Safelite saying that they would be able to replace the windshield. Now we’ve just got a nice driveway ornament that we’ll either have to part out or try to sell to someone who lives in an area that doesn’t worry about cracked windshields, unless we can somehow get a replacement windshield.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I agree with every thing in your post.

Watching NASCAR at Indy yesterday during the pre-race open pit area camera interviews I wondered if the material used for race car windshields could be turned down/reformed/shaved to fit a Scorpio. Might not meet "code" if an inspector thought to examine it closely but if it could be done affordably it would be worth the small risk.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
StratosSpawn

Post by StratosSpawn »

Great minds think alike, as I was also wondering something along those lines with a Lexan or Perspex type windshield that could be replaced if needed. I’m not sure if that’s the material they use for NASCAR windshields, but I was also thinking that the “glass” around many hockey rinks takes hits from pucks traveling at upwards of 100mph without shattering, however they do begin to get scratched and marked up. I like the NASCAR windshield idea, but I’m sure that those aren’t really meant to last more than a season at best.