Wtb: More sweet vintage Rapido stuffs.

XR4Ti cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
turboxr
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Wtb: More sweet vintage Rapido stuffs.

Post by turboxr »

Mike that's the picture that is my inspiration.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

turboxr wrote:Mike that's the picture that is my inspiration.
I'm STILL kicking myself for selling my Stage IV Rapido XR :(
The handout pictured only lists up to Stage III...but Stage IV was offered later and a few cars were done. I asked Russ how many Stage IV cars and he said you could count them on one hand. Like I said, STILL kicking myself.

Here's a walkaround video of it:

http://youtu.be/FbUBny8xvIs
turboxr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turboxr »

Ya I was bidding on it till like $2500 but that was all the cash I had at the time. Do you know who got it? Maybe I'll just try to buy it from them? Lol. Btw, I really want that ecu, but not sure I'm willing to shell out that much $$ for what is very similar to a pe.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Someone in Cleveland bought it. I don't think the guy is on any of the Merkur forums/facebook groups/etc.
After it sold someone asked me to forward him an offer of $1,000 over what he paid for it and he said: "Don't even bother giving them my phone number".
Not sure if he feels any differently now or not...
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Rapido reproduction parts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201362160947
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Still looking for Rapido stuff Joe?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/192322679396?

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Still actively searching for Rapido stuff, Joe?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193781672754

andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:48 am L otsa Rapido magic dust was sprinkled around back in the day, it seems:

"A disadvantage of adding an intercooler to any car is that its internal passages can cause a flow restriction, sacrificing some boost pressure. However, Harness says he has managed to "trick" the engine's sensors to get the boost back to its normal 15 psi."

http://m.caranddriver.com/reviews/rapid ... est-review

YMMV :)
If the boost control solenoid (controlled by the computer) let's the boost go from 10lbs to 15lbs if the car is a 5 speed, the engine temps are within range and possibly rpm within range as well, then that function within the EEC-IV system could be turned off completely or turned on permanently. That's not really going to increase the boost like a manual boost controller but could that be what they are talking about? The boost sensor? That's just the mechanical gauge on the instrument cluster lol. Or the spring inside of the waste gate diaphragm. Also why is the Rapido listed as 190hp? It should be the same as the SVO right?
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Now that I think about it, I bet he "tricked the sensor" so to speak not by changing the computer but by changing the reference point by simply running a longer vacuum line to something after the intercooler piping.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:18 am Now that I think about it, I bet he "tricked the sensor" so to speak not by changing the computer but by changing the reference point by simply running a longer vacuum line to something after the intercooler piping.
Check out picture #13 in the magazine article above. The boost control solenoid hoses are looped onto itself and there is a second looped hose at the turbo. Pre manual boost controller / Gillis valve days this was the way to up the boost with a restrictor in the lines looped at the turbo. Blue butt splice connector as a restrictor in the line would yield 15psi, so instantly, for $0.25 your 10 psi automatic car now had as much HP as a 15 psi manual car because the restrictor would make the 10 psi actuator now behave like a 15 psi actuator.
Same method to overcome the pressure drop from the intercooler, the wastegate pressure is now being mechanically restricted so its not fully opening until 15 psi no matter what. Intercooler or no intercooler.
Technically I guess the BCS sensor was "tricked"...tricked into thinking it was still doing something.