XR4Ti Aluminum Radiators

XR4Ti cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, Merkur

arummel93

XR4Ti Aluminum Radiators

Post by arummel93 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:39 am

For those not familiar with me, I built my XR last winter, and promptly sprung a leaky radiator as soon as I pulled it out of the garage. 3 radiators and a month later I got frustrated and reached out for help. I sent out one of my OEM radiators to be measured and made out of aluminum. And now, we have a brand new aluminum XR radiator coming to market! Full size since I'm a stubborn hardhead (among other reasons) and didn't want to go with the short radiators everyone else seems to like. A direct replacement bolt in aluminum radiator, AND reasonably priced!

I just recieved the first prototype on friday and it seems pretty damn close, waiting on some new isolators and then I'll be checking final fitment to be 100% sure it'll fit in my car just right, then I'll tell them to go ahead and start making them (bolt holes for the stock fans aren't 100% dead on but I'd rather deal with that than risk them changing it and having the holes even further off--I was able to bolt a stock fan shroud onto it with no problems).

I've been given the option to set up a group buy at a discounted price of $270 (assuming nothing changes) per unit. Let me know what you guys think and let me know if you'd be in for the group buy!

Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Re: XR4Ti Aluminum Radiators

Post by Matt01 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:07 pm

seriously it's nice. Like I said on facebook though, it won't work on an 89' setup.

I've been waiting for someone to make an 89 style aluminum coolant bottle (without the sensor!) This looks like a good place to go for that too.

arummel93

Post by arummel93 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:40 pm

Problem is getting anyone to waste their time and money producing a radiator for a one-off year of an already low production vehicle. Even the style I did get them to do, likely won't be as prosperous for them as they may be expecting, because there just aren't that many of us, much less who are ready and willing to actually spend money on these radiators right now. If the Merkur community comes out of the woodwork here and actually buys enough of these or shows enough initial interest in doing a group buy for an '89 XR, there is a very small possibility I could get an '89 Radiator to them to be measured...but unless there is a reasonably sized list of people ready to buy those, I'm not seeing it. Otherwise you'd have to use early XR stuff in your '89 and use this.

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:50 pm

Actually, I've used an early rad with an '89 coolant system. It's not hard at all. Your fill jug is even on the correct side; it just gets rid of the stupid crossover pipe. Run a vent hose over the top of the engine, or in front of the rad, and enjoy the benefits of the coolside jug.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles

MrVelocity

Post by MrVelocity » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:49 am

Matt01 wrote:seriously it's nice. Like I said on facebook though, it won't work on an 89' setup.

I've been waiting for someone to make an 89 style aluminum coolant bottle (without the sensor!) This looks like a good place to go for that too.
Russ at Rapido Had a full size aluminum made up for my sisters 89 xr4ti. Even a aluminum transmission cooler as well. It was a few years back but i'm willing to bet he still has the specs if you want a full size in your 89.
List of current Turbo Fords
1987 xr4ti
1988 xr4ti
1989 xr4ti
1986 SVO
1987 Turbo Coupe
2014 Fiesta ST

Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:48 pm

Bump.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!

Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:33 pm

MrVelocity wrote:
Matt01 wrote:seriously it's nice. Like I said on facebook though, it won't work on an 89' setup.

Russ at Rapido Had a full size aluminum made up for my sisters 89 xr4ti. Even a aluminum transmission cooler as well. It was a few years back but i'm willing to bet he still has the specs if you want a full size in your 89.
well I have the cosworth aluminum at the moment, which I honestly like. Its the t-stat housing that is a POS.

Thats true though, you could convert an 89 style pretty easily, would defintely be an awesome rad for a V8 swap too!

arummel93

Post by arummel93 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:46 pm

Still not up to the minimum order. Cmon guys, get on this!

In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:56 pm

The main problem IMHO is that must of us like to have a big intercooler and this stock size radiator is not helping with that. Only my opinion. :cheers
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:12 am

If you look up through some of the pix, you can see that a nice, big FMIC is possible by running the pipes around the bottom sides of the rad.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles

In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:09 pm

John Brennan wrote:If you look up through some of the pix, you can see that a nice, big FMIC is possible by running the pipes around the bottom sides of the rad.
Yes, just like the rapido intercooler, but, I am a fan of the shortest way to pipe the intercooler from the turbo and to the intake, I don't like the long pipes and lots of curves. But again that is just me.
:cheers
Miguel.
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).

arummel93

Post by arummel93 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:24 pm

I'm not particularly fond of that little integrated cooler. If I ever set out to make big power (over 450hp), I will likely redo my setup to stuff a giant intercooler in front of the radiator where the A/C garbage used to go but then I'll be cutting out that front bar and redoing it in tubular, instead of this little guy tucked under the front bar (I've actually been asked at shows why I don't put a front mount on it, and have to point it out tucked under there, lol!). IMO you're never going to get good consistent results with that little integrated setup, and as someone known for going big, running hard, and running at the edge (I'm a racer, it's in my blood) I need to have my intercooler setup as efficient as possible. I also promise that what I have is more efficient than the Rapido setup!

Packaging with stock stuff was very much not a concern either, lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0QF2y1Zcf0

Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:31 pm

Alex: I can't remember exactly where they are in this thread but there are good pics of a redone front end to mount a big intercooler like you may be thinking about doing.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23566

YMMV ;)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!

timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:24 pm

The RS500 intercooler isn't big enough or efficient enough? Playing devil's advocate. There are multiple ways to get a good working intercooling system on these things.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.

In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:52 pm

I got a big NPR intercooler in my XR.
Miguel.