XR4Ti Aluminum Radiators

XR4Ti cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
dfrost

Re: XR4Ti Aluminum Radiators

Post by dfrost »

Outstanding! Coping with AZ summers has been trying on radiators the past few years. I have an older Rapido metal one now (after a plastic Nissens replacement literally exploded) but it has been repaired thrice and still leaks after a couple months. This one may be just the ticket! :D -DF
arummel93 wrote:Every install thus far has been perfect. I did the test fitting on the prototypes myself to ensure no issues. 100% plug and play down to the OEM fans. Most if not all aluminum radiators are marketed as off-road use only, as are most aftermarket parts. Legality/Emissions BS, especially since they're based in CA. Everyone has gotten their radiators in with no issues, none have failed yet. First one (mine) is currently in Ed Stanleys' "Butch", the nasty V8 powered Merkur that gets daily driven. I suspect that would be the first to go.

Aluminum coolant tanks and new dome light lenses are on the list to get done now, by the way. Have a NOS-ish dome light on my desk right here...
caleyfan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by caleyfan »

Well I finally got around to installing my aluminum radiator.
Generally the installation was relatively straight forward, but it did need a bit of fettling.

I had to make some slight adjustments to be able to fit the fan shroud because when the shroud was slotted into the bottom retaining clips the holes at the top of the shroud did not line up with the holes in the top edge of the radiator. This was a relatively easy fix since the radiator is aluminum and if you offer these up before the radiator is fitted into the car.
The slot for the retaining clip towards the middle of the radiator had to be extended about 5mm towards the middle of the radiator. This was easily done with a small hacksaw blade. Once this was done the shroud top holes then aligned with the holes in the radiator, however, there was now a vertical alignment issue - the center of the holes in the top of the fan shroud were about 2mm higher than the center of the holes in the radiator but this was an easy fix with a small file to file away the bottom edge of the slots in the radiator. Once this was done the fan shroud slotted into the retaining clips and the holes lined up nicely.

I then fitted hose blanks over the top vent hose tube and the bottom fill tube as my XR was plumbed for an auto radiator so I only needed the top and bottom hose pipes. Once the blanks were fitted the installation of the radiator into the aperture was relatively straight forward, if not tight. The side tanks on the aluminum radiator are of square construction and therefore the 90deg angle on the side tank is not as forgiving as the rounded edge of the original. It takes a bit of massaging as there is some interference with some flexible shields, but it does go in. I had to fit some heat shielding material between an A/C pipe and the outer edge of the side tank as they were tight against each other when the radiator was installed.

Overall the process was painless and the small adjustments I had to make could be attributed to the fact that I'm something of a perfectionist - I don't like screws fitting at an angle, or clips not seated properly. I have no doubt if you wanted to fit the radiator as supplied it would be possible, however, if I fitted another one I would make the same adjustments to the next one.

Once installed the engine ran and the system worked very well. It definitely took longer to warm up to the point where the electric fan kicks in compared to the time it took with the original steel radiator.

If you are considering purchasing one of these radiators don't waste any time.
arummel93

Post by arummel93 »

Hm. This is what I had as far as an off centered fan bolt hole, but no other modifications needed. Was afraid to submit it for a revision for fear of them changing it and ending up with it further off. Would you mind posting some pictures of your install?

Turbo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Turbo »

Radiator installed, very easy and very good fit for my car. :D
I modified the stock? fan (not sure if that's a stock fan) by cutting tabs on the fan and sliding them into slots on the radiator, the 2 top holes lined up perfectly. The fan is tight and very close to the rad fins.
On a 70 degree day I let the car idle until the fan kicked on (195) the fan ran for about 1 minute and shut off (180), I'm very happy with this, my shorty radiator (with dual fans) would come on and never shut off, I'm getting the car ready for autocross - I'll see how it performs there.

I'm thinking the radiators with the square cross bars (the tubes that carry the coolant left to right) do not cool as efficiently as radiators like this one with rounded smaller cross bars, the air flow through the radiator has to be restricted and the square cross bars look thick walled which wouldn't cool well. When I shop for a intercooler it will need to have rounded cross bars, bound to be more efficient.
'86 Merkur XR4TI
'05 SRT-4
'08 Hemi Ram
arummel93

Post by arummel93 »

That's what I like to hear! There are supposed to be little clips that the fan slides into on the bottom. Yours must have gotten lost over the years I guess. Glad everything was relatively painless and positive for you.

These guys don't make the best quality stuff on the market, but it's not at all bad for what it is (not like there are any other options--and I believe the shorties are made in the same factory from the same stuff anyway). I think they'll do just fine for us Merkur nerds.
Turbo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Turbo »

I wondered if there was some sort of clip to mount the fan, but my car came in a kit with no instructions :?

'86 Merkur XR4TI
'05 SRT-4
'08 Hemi Ram
arummel93

Post by arummel93 »

And a bent wheel, too. Mine was missing a bunch of stuff as well. Had to have someone else come over to test his OEM fan setup on this radiator. Mine is long gone as well. Aftermarket fan for me...
espacef1fan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by espacef1fan »

Are these still available?
Adam Escott
Dothan, AL
89 XR with Outcast Body in red
Duratec build in progress(need cams and stand-alone)
89 Scorpio. Needs everything :haha
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

espacef1fan wrote:Are these still available?
http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... _Code=RADI
arummel93

Post by arummel93 »

Yep^^

Ordered 60, sold about 20ish so far. Who knows if there'll be another batch after the 60 are gone, though...
dfrost

Post by dfrost »

Just installed one of these rads the other day - so far so good. Pretty close to plug-and-play. One of the mounting tangs (pax side) was nicked/bent out of the box and it was not shipping related. Still - not enough of a ding to impact the install and can't see it as a long-term issue either (that area should not be susceptible to fatigue from use or expansion/contraction). -DF
xrti4ever

Post by xrti4ever »

GPz11 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:06 pm
espacef1fan wrote:Are these still available?
http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... _Code=RADI
well this is what I got from them. the rad is built wrong. https://s1378.photobucket.com/user/RayR ... sort=1&o=0
Red 85, Esslinger 2277 solid roller Big D-Alum head, Turbo T61 stage V with 63AR and OEM T3 with 63AR, #208 T5, 9" clutch, stinger IC.
xrti4ever

Post by xrti4ever »

arummel93 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:34 am In case anyone missed it, I was able to get a larger order of full size aluminum Merkur radiators in, so we're not limited to just the first 20 to get on the list--meaning they're now available to anyone. For about the next few weeks they will be available at $275 shipped, afterwards they will be available for more.

Send money to paypal@cxracing.com, note this is the payment for Rad-017 group buy, then leave name, address and phone #.

Let me know when you buy, trying to keep a count of how many of us come out of the woodwork for this. Plans for a new aluminum coolant tank are still in progress, hope to see them done and available sometime this year. Happy Merkuring!

[/quote]

well this is what I gotImage CXracing will not refund my money. you please call them my order Number was/is 28036269
https://s1378.photobucket.com/user/RayR ... sort=1&o=0
I had to cut it apart and turn the core 180* clockwise then weld the brackets back on. They said they have sold lots of these like this with no calls of issues. I need my merkur pals to call flood there phone line for me. I want my money back. I am not going to send the thing back it cost $103US for ship to Canada which is $128 CANADIAN plus duties the Rad cost $515.00. to me, up in the middle of British Columbia Canada.
Red 85, Esslinger 2277 solid roller Big D-Alum head, Turbo T61 stage V with 63AR and OEM T3 with 63AR, #208 T5, 9" clutch, stinger IC.
arummel93

Post by arummel93 »

I'm not at my computer. Are you by chance trying to use an 85-88 radiator in an 89 cooling system?
xrti4ever

Post by xrti4ever »

arummel93 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:42 pm I'm not at my computer. Are you by chance trying to use an 85-88 radiator in an 89 cooling system?
no Sir, my car is an 85. just have a look at what they did. what you show for the rad is correct. the 1/2 inch tube on the passenger side and the 5/8 tube goes bottom drivers side with the bigger end tank. what a $#!* show.