Rear disc brake kit 11" NEW DESIGN

XR4Ti cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Rear disc brake kit 11" NEW DESIGN

Post by merkurmaniac »

How do I go about ordering a set of brackets and cables ?

Thanks,
Richard
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

merkurmaniac wrote:How do I go about ordering a set of brackets and cables ?

Thanks,
Richard
Just shoot me a PM and I'll get you my paypal address. Usually in the mail the next day.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
megasquirt33

Post by megasquirt33 »

I am interested and i know a buddy who would also be up for a set.
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

megasquirt33 wrote:I am interested and i know a buddy who would also be up for a set.
Cool, shoot me a pm and I will give you my paypal address. $80 shipped for just brackets and hardware, add $60 for a parking brake cable.
Tim Spencer
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

What are people doing for brake hoses?
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

cmouta wrote:What are people doing for brake hoses?
These DOT approved braided stainless lines will work with Tim's set up (as well as Scorpio / Cossie calipers).

http://www.merkur.50megs.com/photo3.html
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

^^^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^
Tim Spencer
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

Hey Tim, I have a question do I need to upgrade to the Scorpio master cylinder to have the rear disc upgrade on my 89' XR4Ti? or The master cylinder on my 89' XR is good enough? also, do I need to remove the proportional(or whatever it is called) valve or gutted it?

:cheers
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

In XS 7 wrote:Hey Tim, I have a question do I need to upgrade to the Scorpio master cylinder to have the rear disc upgrade on my 89' XR4Ti? or The master cylinder on my 89' XR is good enough? also, do I need to remove the proportional(or whatever it is called) valve or gutted it?

:cheers
You'll be ok with the Stock master. Even the early one will be fine (stock Focus uses the same dia master as the early XR). As for the prop valve, I would either gut it, or get rid of it. Since it's a smaller diameter piston in the Caliper, it'll increase clamping pressure more progressively.

Hope that helps.
Tim Spencer
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

:thumb Great, Thank you very much Tim. :cheers
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

Finally had Jeff Esteban over to put a set on his car. I'll let him reply with his thoughts on the performance of it.

If you have drums, remove everything from the rear bearing carrier. Requires removal of the rear hub (41mm/1 5/16" socket for axle nut). It's torqued to 240ft lbs, so requires a lot of force. You will reuse the bearing carrier bolts. The top 2 are used for the bracket (pictured below).

I didn't take as many pictures as I should have, but next you put the rear rotor on the hub. Then, you can do 1 of 2 things. Either take the caliper bracket and mount it to the adapter bracket, or assemble the caliper completely with the pads.

If you just mount the bracket, make sure you take the slide pins out and put them into the rubber bushings of the caliper. Place the pads on the bracket with the spring on the inner pad. Place the caliper on the bracket/pads and screw in the pins to the bracket. Take the spring part that goes into the outside portion of the caliper and under the bracket to pull the caliper and outer pad down.

These are 2 lbs lighter than the Scorpio 280mm setup from MC2. Not that much of a difference, but here's a big part: The pads are significantly larger and there are endless pad choices.

The MerkurDepot hoses are required to go forward around the spring and then straight back into the caliper as the hose connection is in the front. The cable from the Sierra works perfectly and simply requires adjusting the sheath on the underbody of the car.

Overall, great success.
Tim Spencer
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

looks good :cheers
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

Adapter fittings to fit into both the caliper and the hard line on the car are M10x1.0. I have always used the ones from Russell, which come in pairs and are nickel plated. R41431

Hose length I would recommend is 24" for clearance around the spring. Mike's (Merkur Depot) will work, but ensure it remains clear of the spring so it doesn't get caught between a couple coils. AFCO makes some really nice Kevlar ones, but you can get the Russell DOT ones too:
AFCO 6684053-24
Russell: 656062

On Jeff's we used a pair of the Russell DOT 15" with a 90 deg end. The trick is ensuring there is clearance from both the spring and from the spinning axle.
Tim Spencer
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

:headbang
Last edited by cmouta on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Question:
It seems to me that a lot more stiffness and strength could be realized by extending the bracket sides down to include the lower bolts on the hub. Mike's adapters for the T-Bird rears go full circle here, and most Scorpio rear adapters go down at least on one side. Anyone else think this would be a good measure against flex?
I think this is a terrific and well-researched solution, but this is the only thing I wonder about.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost