Rear disc brake kit 11" NEW DESIGN

XR4Ti cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
Hobgoblyn

Re: Rear disc brake kit 11" NEW DESIGN

Post by Hobgoblyn »

When do you expect to have the 'kit' ready?
88 Xr4Ti Mono white T5, Stinger, Turbonetics t3t4, Godzilla bov, Evolution w/g, Spearco FMIC, 65mm TB, Roller Cam, 3'' Borla SS exhaust, Superchip SVO EEC, Centerforce Stage II, Sparco seats, Momo wheel, shifter, and pedals, Phantom gauges,Cosworth RS body panels, Euro lights.
86 White/Gray 5 sp Borla short shifter.
Spaldino
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spaldino »

the "kits" (brackets and hand brake cable) are ready. i have the brakes installed on my car now.
88 Mono-white XR: Side exhaust, Walbro, MC2 Front Adjustable Coilovers, Rear Bilsteins, Full Poly bushings, MC2 Diff Mount, Rapido intercooler, Some sort of mild cam(?), Rear Disc conversion, 225s on 17x8 wheels.
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

I have 1 ready to ship right now. Gotta completely unpack all the boxes in the garage to find the rest of the stuff.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
XR4ti614

Post by XR4ti614 »

timxr8 wrote:Adapter fittings to fit into both the caliper and the hard line on the car are M10x1.0. I have always used the ones from Russell, which come in pairs and are nickel plated. R41431

Hose length I would recommend is 24" for clearance around the spring. Mike's (Merkur Depot) will work, but ensure it remains clear of the spring so it doesn't get caught between a couple coils. AFCO makes some really nice Kevlar ones, but you can get the Russell DOT ones too:
AFCO 6684053-24
Russell: 656062

On Jeff's we used a pair of the Russell DOT 15" with a 90 deg end. The trick is ensuring there is clearance from both the spring and from the spinning axle.
Finally collected nearly all the parts for this conversion, even better a garage to work on my XR.

In regards to the Russell parts, I searched their site for the above part #'s with no luck.
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

Should find them on summit
XR4ti614

Post by XR4ti614 »

Esteban wrote:Should find them on summit
Found! Thanks Jeff.
XR4ti614

Post by XR4ti614 »

timxr8 wrote:Update to this. The Aluminum bracket would have ended up being almost $50 per bracket because of the required thickness and offset, so I'm going with the tried and true 5/16" steel. I'm looking at having them plated, but cannot guarantee anything.

Also, the original intent was to use the Sierra parking brake cable, but the actuator design is for a simple ball/swedged end. The solution is to simply remove the eyelet of the Sierra parking brake cable (or not if you don't care) and adjust the housing as necessary. The housing is "threaded with the plastic piece that goes into the frame tab to allow you to change the length, which you would need to make shorter by about 1.5".

The other option would be to use the T-Bird rear brake technique of cutting the stock XR one and shortening it quite a few inches.
I'm on the final steps of this and really didn't like that I couldn't use the eyelets. Should I just go with the above set up as I assume it works fine? I thought about shaving off the e-brake receiving bracket enough so I could get thet eyelet attached.
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

I would go with the above as mentioned. If you want to cut the bracket, that's fine too. I just suggested the easiest route. Either way should be ok. Just make sure you adjust the sleeve.
Tim Spencer
XR4ti614

Post by XR4ti614 »

Thanks Tim! I went the suggested route.

Now I'm having an issue with the Russell hose. Thread pitch on the adapter for the caliper is correct, but it is not matching the connection coming from the front of the car. Gonna try and track down an adapter today...I wanna drive the beast....

Also, I need to gut the Pressure Control Valve, right?
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

Just delete the pressure control valve and install this.

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-trac ... ing/845561
XR4ti614

Post by XR4ti614 »

Thanks! Done.

Also, picked up 2 Earl -3 AN male to 10mm x 1.0 female adapters (PN# 989534) to get the hoses hooked up.

Bled the lines, installed the wheels, and...spatula didn't clear the calipers...ordered spacers hopefully that'll help...

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Yeah, Spatulas have the least clearance of any of the 15" wheels...
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

No Spatulas? I see how it interferes. I have to redact my statement of all 15" will fit, then.
XR4ti614 wrote:Thanks Tim! I went the suggested route.

Now I'm having an issue with the Russell hose. Thread pitch on the adapter for the caliper is correct, but it is not matching the connection coming from the front of the car. Gonna try and track down an adapter today...I wanna drive the beast....

Also, I need to gut the Pressure Control Valve, right?
Please elaborate, as I'm confused on what part you are trying to connect. The adapter is for where the stock rubber lines attach at the frame above the rear suspension. Both there and the caliper are M10x1.0.

The pressure control valve is not needed and I would use the coupler as mentioned by GPz11. It's M12x1.0 there.
Tim Spencer
XR4ti614

Post by XR4ti614 »

Ah-ha, guess my calipers should've arrived with fittings?! In the end it worked out. Brakes are stellar. Thanks for putting the kit together and helping along the way. That goes for everyone, the forum is a great resource.

-Chad
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

You'll love them Chad as much as I do mine.