WTB. Bi-plane XR spoiler

XR4Ti cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
WardLaFrance

WTB. Bi-plane XR spoiler

Post by WardLaFrance »

WTB a bi-plane spoiler for my 88 XR. My single plane spoiler is in bad shape and I prefer the look of Bi-plane spoiler. I’m told the ideal spoiler would be from a 87.5 XR. Preferred color is diamond white. I’m located 30 miles N of Baltimore MD. Price subject to condition - what do you have and how much do you suggest? Thanks!
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: WTB. Bi-plane XR spoiler

Post by merkurdriver »

I believe the 87.5 reference would be for the entire hatch as it may have the radio antenna integrated in the glass (like your 88 does), whereas 85-87 have an external radio antenna.
The glass on 88-89 is slightly wider leaving less metal on the side for the bi wing to mount, thats whey many suggest swapping the whole hatch.
You CAN put bi wing on 88-89 hatch but it will overlap onto the rubber glass seal a little bit FYI.
86-87.5 bi wing will have the brake light on it, 85 bi wing do not have the brake light.
WardLaFrance

Post by WardLaFrance »

Thanks for the clarification. I should be looking for the entire hatch and will amend my WTB. Obviously a hatch is a lot less ‘shippable’ than a bi-wing so i’ll Cross my fingers and hope for a reply from someone in my region. Plan B will be to seek a single spoiler appropriate for an 88 that is in better shape then what I have.
blugg
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blugg »

Have white bi wing hatch yet in chicago area. In case no option on east coast surfaces
Jeff
WardLaFrance

Post by WardLaFrance »

Thank you for advice. Just home from NY where I bought a bi-plane X-R hatch. Need repaint but solid. Hooray. Reasonably confident in my local shop abilities but if anyone has more advice I would greatly appreciate hearing it: I know a recent FB post advised the tabs covering mounting bolts in wing are specific to location and another post advised how to remove them. Great! But I need two plugs for lower rear lip of hatch. Also any advice re good or better solutions to reattach the umbilicals for rear defroster, wiper, brake light and windshield washer. Thanks in advance for any advice! Don in Havre de Grace MD
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

WardLaFrance wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:45 am Also any advice re good or better solutions to reattach the umbilicals for rear defroster, wiper, brake light and windshield washer. Thanks in advance for any advice! Don in Havre de Grace MD
Are the old wires still in the bi wing hatch? If so, tie a length of string on the (bottom) connectors and pull the old wires out of the top.
Then untie the string so now you have loose string coming out of the top and bottom of the bi wing hatch.
Now tie your cars connectors to the top of this string and grab the loose string at the bottom to pull them through.

I've done at least a dozen this way.