WTB C3 Trans

XR4Ti cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

WTB C3 Trans

Post by Bob Weir »

My trans maniac needs a complete c3 for a kit car using a Pinto 2.3. The trans maniac will rebuild the trans, so it must be in rebuildable condition. Don't be concerned with shipping, because we'll pick it up. We'll be coming from Allentown PA 18104, so travel distance is a concern.

Please respond with overall condition & history of trans.
When calling, if I don't answer - leave a message or I won't return your call.

Thanks

Bob
610-248-1481cell
bweir4u@me.com
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: WTB C3 Trans

Post by my8950 »

I have one or two, you can have them. Both had water in the pans, both from XR's.
Located in SE Michigan...
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Thanks for the reply.
There's one in Maryland, I might take, but no decision yet.
I should know within a couple of weeks.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

If the 2.3 A4LD does end up being an option to consider... I have a rebuilt w/zero miles A4LD (with new converter) here (Ohio) that was built from a Scorpio A4LD and a 2.3 Turbo Coupe A4LD.Professional shop rebuilt the Scorpio A4LD, and stuck the 2.3 bellhousing, front pump, and converter on at the same time. As mentioned, the beauty of the Scorpio A4LD is the OD is controlled by a pressure switch and requires no computer inputs at all. It was bolted to an engine ready to go in a XR here, but the cylinder head from that engine was needed for something else and now the trans is just sitting here stuck on a short block...

My local trans shop charged $1,150 for the A4LD rebuild and new converter. Plus the value of the two transmissions needed to make this happen. I'd be happy with $1,000 if anyone wants it.
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

Ralph, my tranny maniac will only be doing the trans. He suggested an A4LD, but it's Ralph's understanding the customer wants a c3 due to cost. I have found a c3 in Maryland, but it's still in the XR. I'll tell Ralph of your A4LD and its condition. Who knows, customers have been known to change their minds. I'll keep you updated on this project.

Ironically, I often considered an A4LD in an XR because there are so many stop signs and lights in my daily driving.

It's been a long time since we talked. Hope you and yours are doing well.

Bob
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Would certainly be well worth doing...
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I have also considered this swap numerous times, it is a great idea. Except I don't have an auto. I have a parts Scorpio and have been gathering stuff to do this at some point. My dad wants to put together an auto car, and he has good experience building this sort of thing. Will it actually happen, slim chance, but, it is a cool idea nonetheless.
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Thanks for all the replies.

I found two different c-3s in my area. I've passed the info on to the buyer and sellers. Hopefully, they'll be able to make a deal.