WTB XR4Ti

XR4Ti cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
Albion70

WTB XR4Ti

Post by Albion70 »

Hello, I am looking to buy an XR4Ti – had one many years ago and want to get back into ownership for the long term.
Definitely looking for a Bi-wing, manual transmission with non-monochromatic paint.
Open to most colors but red or black preferred - mostly concerned with body and interior being in good shape.
Based on what I’ve seen recently sold on the net I’m thinking my budget is $4-6k for something nice but can be flexible if it is in exceptional condition.
Hoping someone is looking to sell!
Thanks.
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Re: WTB XR4Ti

Post by eaton53 »

You should be able to buy a pretty nice car with your budget.
The best cars cost more (the Bonham's XR4Ti was an outlier, some lucky person stole that car) but they don't come up for sale too often.
But you never know... you might get lucky, too. Happy hunting! :cheers
Last edited by eaton53 on Fri May 01, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
Albion70

Post by Albion70 »

Thanks Mark - hope so - pretty pumped at getting back behind the wheel of an xr4!
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

Albion70 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:53 pmThanks Mark - hope so - pretty pumped at getting back behind the wheel of an xr4!
I'm sure you know that they don't even smell like a modern car.
I'm looking forward to getting behind the wheel tomorrow and taking a big whiff!!
Then a step will have been taken toward all being right with the world. :mrgreen:
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Looking for something nearby? Or willing to travel / or ship the right car?
Albion70

Post by Albion70 »

Would definitely travel/ship the right car......

Many thanks.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Would recommend Mike, he is pretty realistic about what they are worth and won't try to hide anything from you. He also has shipped plenty of cars in the past.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:45 am Would recommend Mike, he is pretty realistic about what they are worth and won't try to hide anything from you. He also has shipped plenty of cars in the past.
I was just going to tell you that you should sell your 86 5spd to him
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Can't sell it. It starts right up after sitting for months and months. Too fun to drive with the urethane bushings, PE, and 15 inch toyos.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
Albion70

Post by Albion70 »

Hi All - thanks for for viewing the post and the encouragement. Really pleased that I have found a really nice ‘89 (yes I know bi-wing was a must but couldn’t say no to this one - have also sourced a bi-wing hatch too) hatch is the only modification I’m planning and keeping the original one to switch back later if I wish to go back to the original look. Deal is all done and hoping to get transported down in the next few weeks. Bought the car from R Code (Chris) and the hatch from Robert Urfer - both great guys to work with - everything was done in a week and really pleased it was with enthusiastic forum members - so thanks gentlemen! Have my MCA membership purchased and looking forward to getting back behind the wheel! planning to keep up with the world of Merkur ownership here. Thanks.
R Code
Level 1
Level 1

Post by R Code »

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm happy the car is going to a true enthusiast & a solid dude with a long history of lovin' on his Euro Fords. I hope it becomes the family heirloom that you intend it to be, like it's been for each of its previous owners.

I'm sorry to let this bad boy go, but you can't keep 'em all & I felt like I was doing the car an injustice by keeping it covered in my garage & tip toeing past it, vs. making it fulfill its potential. Familiar story of too many projects/not enough time/resources.

Selling a car, yes, but I feel like I've gained a new motorhead buddy.
- Chris

'89 XR4Ti (5 speed) - sold
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Congrats on the purchase! :cheers