1987 XR4Ti for sale

XR4Ti cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
kyophelia

1987 XR4Ti for sale

Post by kyophelia »

Hi everyone,

I have an 87 for sale if anyone is interested. I've attached a few pictures. All the relevant information is in the ad I linked below. Make an offer! Thanks.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 51044.html
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: 1987 XR4Ti for sale

Post by my8950 »

For that cost, the car should be pretty mint.
Meaning no body damage such as the big dent in the side, fuel tank issues, things like that shouldn't exist with this type of car in that price range.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I thought $8900 was too high as well, but I realize what has gone into the car. Have an upholstery place do the seats that's a grand. Purchase a brand new head that's another grand maybe more. Install all new head gasket, intake gasket, exhaust gasket, starter, alternator, fuel injectors, fuel pump replace all fluids another grand. Custom exhaust done right call that another grand. This is doing the work yourself for the most part. I would like to see all the little details like brakes and fuel gauge working. And of course the paint and body issues. It wouldn't surprise me if the person gets offers around $7500. That other 87 that was just on here for 1800obo was for sure the better deal. But then it could be another five thousand to fix all the issues it had. :cheers
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
jake8687

Post by jake8687 »

Are there any leaks from the seals, gaskets, trans or steering rack? Also when head replaced were inconel valves used?? The work done on the car, was it worth it? Or is car not the same after work done? How long owned and why selling after brief ownership? Also what factory options? Hows a.c.? Thanks
Last edited by jake8687 on Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:49 pm I thought $8900 was too high as well, but I realize what has gone into the car. Have an upholstery place do the seats that's a grand. Purchase a brand new head that's another grand maybe more. Install all new head gasket, intake gasket, exhaust gasket, starter, alternator, fuel injectors, fuel pump replace all fluids another grand. Custom exhaust done right call that another grand. This is doing the work yourself for the most part. I would like to see all the little details like brakes and fuel gauge working. And of course the paint and body issues. It wouldn't surprise me if the person gets offers around $7500. That other 87 that was just on here for 1800obo was for sure the better deal. But then it could be another five thousand to fix all the issues it had. :cheers
True, but just because you put $5G's into a car doesn't mean you turn around and get that out. Yes it's work, but, labor is free, you don't get anything out of that. Other thing I see that is really weird, new head? You can't get a NEW head, you can get a used head and have work done to it. There is some company out there which is selling new heads, but they're also not for the 2.3T. There is a post here and I believe Brad did some research on it and found that it's not a turbo head.
Yes this is a nice car, but for that kind of bank, it should be pretty spotless, at least the silly issues figured out.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Ya I was also wondering about that "new" head. Must be a rebuild unit?
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
kyophelia

Post by kyophelia »

I've been sick these last few weeks but I'm back now and better. Sorry for the mysterious disappearance. Yes the head is remanufactured. The previous one was cracked so unusable. Also, the fluid underneath the car is leftover coolant from when a hose broke a year ago. I'm going to wash the bottom of the car and then take a look and see if there are any leaks.

Yes the work done on the car was worth it. It is much better than when I bought it. I love driving it, it's a very fun car. As for inconel valves, this is the first time I've heard of them, so I don't know. The reason I'm selling is because I've moved on to other projects, and I don't have the space anymore. I'm sad to see the car go, but its been fun while I've had it. I'll miss getting all the looks!
Last edited by kyophelia on Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandalore003

Post by Mandalore003 »

Hey homie, got any pictures of the underside of the car? What does the rust situation look like?
kyophelia

Post by kyophelia »

Back up for sale for $7900 or best offer.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 83283.html