1989 Merkur XR4Ti - 94,500 miles

XR4Ti cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
rstewart78

1989 Merkur XR4Ti - 94,500 miles

Post by rstewart78 »

I have a red 1989 Merkur XR4Ti which was purchased for my father in 2001 from an original owner in Vermont. He was an XR4Ti enthusiast living in Montreal, QC and the plan had been for him to import the car to Canada. However, he never actually transferred ownership or completed the import process. Over the next 20 years he had lots of work done on the car to get it to what he said was excellent condition. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars or Merkur, but I can see that the body is free of rust or any damage, and that the car runs well. I believe that everything is original, from what I understand. I drove it home to Vermont from Montreal this weekend, and was really impressed with how solid it felt on the road at high speed and how fast it could accelerate. I recall my Dad having said that he had gotten some kind of chip installed that would make the turbo more powerful, which might explain why it was so easy to go from 70 to 115mph the couple of times I tried.

As much as I feel kind of sad to sell it, practically speaking, I know it would be better off being owned by someone who loves these cars. I've read a bunch of posts here about other cars which were sold, but I still don't know enough to feel like I am confident with a specific asking price. Any advice or offers will be appreciated, and I plan to post photos after I get the car detailed so the interior is cleaner.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: 1989 Merkur XR4Ti - 94,500 miles

Post by merkurdriver »

Send some pics my way when you get a chance merkurdriver@gmail.com
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Exactly, if you can post photos somewhere for others who may know more to see, you will be able to get more information.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Some pictures from the seller

rstewart78

Post by rstewart78 »

The interior hasn’t been detailed yet, so it looks more worn than it is. I will post some better photos after that gets done in a couple of weeks from now.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Where is the car located now?
rstewart78

Post by rstewart78 »

my8950 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:52 am Where is the car located now?
In Burlington, Vermont.
Jgold

Post by Jgold »

PM SENT
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

I saw the car when it was in Montreal, glad to hear it's up and running again.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

rstewart78 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:50 pm I have a red 1989 Merkur XR4Ti which was purchased for my father in 2001 from an original owner in Vermont. He was an XR4Ti enthusiast living in Montreal, QC and the plan had been for him to import the car to Canada. However, he never actually transferred ownership or completed the import process. Over the next 20 years he had lots of work done on the car to get it to what he said was excellent condition. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars or Merkur, but I can see that the body is free of rust or any damage, and that the car runs well. I believe that everything is original, from what I understand. I drove it home to Vermont from Montreal this weekend, and was really impressed with how solid it felt on the road at high speed and how fast it could accelerate. I recall my Dad having said that he had gotten some kind of chip installed that would make the turbo more powerful, which might explain why it was so easy to go from 70 to 115mph the couple of times I tried.

As much as I feel kind of sad to sell it, practically speaking, I know it would be better off being owned by someone who loves these cars. I've read a bunch of posts here about other cars which were sold, but I still don't know enough to feel like I am confident with a specific asking price. Any advice or offers will be appreciated, and I plan to post photos after I get the car detailed so the interior is cleaner.
Well that white one just sold on bat (6-2-2022) for $9700. So prices seem to be going up just like everything else. Looks like you may need an 89 only coolant expansion tank, which is rare, but I bet Mike at Merkurdepo has a good used one. Good luck with the sale.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
rstewart78

Post by rstewart78 »

I tried creating a listing on Cars and Bids, but they responded:

Sorry, your car isn’t a fit for Cars & Bids
Thank you again for submitting your car to Cars & Bids. Unfortunately, we’ve determined your car isn’t a fit for our site at this time. We wish you luck in selling it and hope you’ll consider us again in the future when you have other cars to sell!

I'm too overloaded with different projects right now to put a lot of time and energy into selling this car, but I'm also worried it might get damaged sitting in my shared parking lot. I would be happy to sell at a discount if anyone can make a reasonable offer. Or, if anyone has a recommendation for where to list this or perhaps a seller who would want to sell it for me on commission, any information would be appreciated.