Replacement Head Options

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Replacement Head Options

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:28 am

Not an immediate requirement, but I know the stock "86TM" heads are prone to cracking. World Products used to make an upgraded head with a thicker deck, but they no longer sell it. It would appear however that most of the new replacement heads available today from places like Promaxx & King Cylinder Heads use the improved casting. Is this correct? Is there a way to easily (i.e. externally) identify these in the field (junkyard)?

What about the later "89TM" heads that were used on the Ranger 2.9 starting in late '88? Are these essentially equivalent to the World Products heads and plug-n-play swap-able? Here's a pic showing how to identify those...
Brad

Merkurfast
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Replacement Head Options

Post by Merkurfast » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:58 pm

I dont know the answer to your question, but I purchased 2.9 89 heads from Pep Boys with a coupon.. They are ATK brand. I imagine they are the same as Ranger heads. They are the improved type. I researched the ATK brand and they are pretty good.