Sunroof Drains - Where are they

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Bob Weir
Membership Coordinator

Sunroof Drains - Where are they

Post by Bob Weir » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:47 pm

This is a response to a post on the MCA List. Hopefully others will confirm or correct me.

Poster says ... he has 1/2" water at driver's feet after rainstorm.

Assuming he didn’t leave the window or door open:

I’d check around and INSIDE HVAC fan box. Recaulk after R&Ring HVAC fan controller. Keep the leaves out of area in front/below wiper assembly! Leaf catcher is a rare find, but OEM on Scorpios. Water usually collects on tray below fuse box to vacuum reservoir and in battery tray.

Sunroof drains:
Back: top of rear hatch rubber hose pinched to prevent critters often gets clogged - use a wire to open up.

Front: Best to release front of sunroof track. Lift up track to find 1 cm [3/4”] hole in corner. Most suggest compressed air, but I used throttle cable from a lawn mower. Goes down A pillar to [I’m not positive, but I’m pretty sure] inside of front fender [inside wheel liner].

Three other drains: 2 “J” shaped rubber with screen in firewall below and on either side of HVAC fan box and 1 1” H x 4” wide with rubber flap directly below HVAC fan box. See attached pic for some front drains.
Attachments
Scorpio firewall drains.jpg
Scorpio firewall drains.jpg (501.51 KiB) Viewed 249 times

Bob Weir
Membership Coordinator

Re: Sunroof Drains - Where are they

Post by Bob Weir » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:19 pm

Per Brad Anesi, it's below the front door pillar
Front sunroof drain outlet.jpg
Front sunroof drain outlet.jpg (11.01 KiB) Viewed 202 times

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Sunroof Drains - Where are they

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:59 am

Just keep in mind, it's very often NOT one of the 4 drains being clogged that is the interior leak cause, but rather, a tired and dried out seal that surrounds the sunroof glass. The water gets by the seal and eventually leaks overhead, often rusting out the sunroof metal bracing when left unchecked for years. The fix is a new sunroof seal, but they're tough to find, so an alternative could be re-sealing the old one.

Search in here for a post that Bart did on the topic several years back.
Brad