Volvo Fused Power Distribution Box & Refreshing Major 12V Connections

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Volvo Fused Power Distribution Box & Refreshing Major 12V Connections

Post by john keefe »

This is all very cool, and makes me embarrassed of the mess my connectors seem to be. I think I've got Brad's old style w/ the Ford stamp, but turned upside down, wires hanging all over the place w/ corrosion on the connectors. Another project/preventative measure sometime. I tried hooking up the 12V adapter kit I used to fix the speedo, this time to test the rear passenger window motor... no voltage at all on any of the wires/connectors. Had to go pretty close to the battery posts to get any. I guess that's a problem waiting to happen?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Dug into the harness on the parts car today looking for splice S1004. As you may be able to tell from the pic, it's buried in that big wad of wires behind the instrument cluster, exactly in line with the steering shaft. All you should need to remove is the upper dash to get to it. As expected, the tape is all gooey, and then there's another wrap of gooey tape around the splice. As you can see this one was very clean and not corroded; I think I would just put some liquid tape on it and re-wrap it if I found it in this condition on the running car.
Scorpio-S1004.jpg
Scorpio-S1004.jpg (431.43 KiB) Viewed 9773 times
Brad
dimswits
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dimswits »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:39 pm Dug into the harness on the parts car today looking for splice S1004. As you may be able to tell from the pic, it's buried in that big wad of wires behind the instrument cluster, exactly in line with the steering shaft. All you should need to remove is the upper dash to get to it. As expected, the tape is all gooey, and then there's another wrap of gooey tape around the splice. As you can see this one was very clean and not corroded; I think I would just put some liquid tape on it and re-wrap it if I found it in this condition on the running car.

Scorpio-S1004.jpg
My memory on this is really fuzzy, but now that I look at your pic I believe I redid one of the splices underneath the dash (so not 1004). Some day soon I'll try to find the time to go out and take a look.
Dimitri in NYC
88 Scorpio 2.5 Turbo
89 Scorpio 4.6 DOHC
02 E46 330Ci
17 MKC
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

dimswits wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:08 pm My memory on this is really fuzzy, but now that I look at your pic I believe I redid one of the splices underneath the dash (so not 1004). Some day soon I'll try to find the time to go out and take a look.
I was thinking your description pointed to the splice being lower down behind the dash than S1004 is. Maybe S1009?
Brad
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:39 pm Dug into the harness on the parts car today looking for splice S1004... All you should need to remove is the upper dash to get to it.
Now that I might have a little free time, I was going to check this. Brad, did you mean "upper dash" as in the steering column shrouds and the IC, or actually removing the complete, padded dash?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

john keefe wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:31 pm Now that I might have a little free time, I was going to check this. Brad, did you mean "upper dash" as in the steering column shrouds and the IC, or actually removing the complete, padded dash?
The complete dash pad. It's actually a much easier job on the Scorpio than XR, if you haven't ever done it before. If it's the first time coming out in 30 years, it will probably take more of a pull than you'd expect. It really needs an impact pull.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

The dash pad is secured in place at the windshield edge by two metal fingers of ~2" width, one on each side towards the lower corners of the windshield. When installed the fingers press on the dash pad, holding it securely. A firm tug releases the pad. A firm push on reinstall re-secures the pad.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I saw these recently and thought they might be a pretty elegant solution to the Scorpio battery positive post cable problem.

https://www.temu.com/2pcs-battery-termi ... 18830.html
battpost.jpg
battpost.jpg (88.87 KiB) Viewed 8999 times
Specialization is for Insects
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

brokencase wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:36 am I saw these recently and thought they might be a pretty elegant solution to the Scorpio battery positive post cable problem.
Looks like a viable solution that's easier to implement than mine.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Insufficient space for smaller gauge wiring.

YMMV
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I don't know if I agree Ed.

The big holes on it I believe could handle the Scorpio "big" wires along with one smaller wire in the same hole.
The remaining two small wires could go into the two small holes.

In my case the Scorpio did not have the original bracket. So I bought the Harborfreight battery disconnect.
https://www.harborfreight.com/battery-d ... 97853.html

In the hole on the opposite side I ran a bolt through and ganged all the ancillary cable eyelets together.

It has worked OK, but on a few occasions I have had to re-tighten the green knob. Seems to loosen over time. Which is why I am investigating alternatives.
battdisconnect.jpg
battdisconnect.jpg (136.13 KiB) Viewed 8987 times
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:14 pm Insufficient space for smaller gauge wiring.

YMMV
Didn't we already have this debate about fitting something like this on the battery? Seems like it would work but only on certain types of batteries. I used something like it (not on a Merkur) in which the battery was flat across the top not including the top posts.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I mentioned one like this previously...

https://www.temu.com/1-pair-6-24v-tin-p ... 09070.html

But I like the other one better because it has the clear plastic cover.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

brokencase wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:42 am I don't know if I agree Ed.

The big holes on it I believe could handle the Scorpio "big" wires along with one smaller wire in the same hole.
The remaining two small wires could go into the two small holes.

In my case the Scorpio did not have the original bracket. So I bought the Harborfreight battery disconnect.
https://www.harborfreight.com/battery-d ... 97853.html

In the hole on the opposite side I ran a bolt through and ganged all the ancillary cable eyelets together.

It has worked OK, but on a few occasions I have had to re-tighten the green knob. Seems to loosen over time. Which is why I am investigating alternatives.

battdisconnect.jpg
I tried that connector years ago and eventually moved on from it although I can't recall the more than one reason why just now.

Re the Temu one, 1 or more power wires for the Scorpio have quite short leads so that they don't easily reach around to the front top of the battery. They do reach okay to the side top of the battery...but it's unclear the Temu clamp will tighten if mounted sideways. Plus I wouldn't trust a non-lead battery clamp.

YMMV
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

My version worked for all the Scorpios and years I had.