Best place to find engine rebuilding kit & upgrade.

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
ScorpioCDN
Level 2
Level 2

Best place to find engine rebuilding kit & upgrade.

Post by ScorpioCDN » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hello,

I want to overhaul my Scorpio 2.9 engine. Need infos where to find parts at reasonable price and what modifications are a simple upgrade for engine. The car is a daily driver, not a race car.

Thanks,
J.G.C.
Jag XK120
2-Jag XJ6
Triumph TR6
MGB-GT
MGA-Coupé
Scorpio 1989

Freejack
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Freejack » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:57 pm

Northern auto parts hase 2.9 engine kits for a pretty good price. They also have the World Products heads, which while not an upgrade, are a nice improvement to durability.

As far as improvements in performance, I would imagine the 2.9 will respond in much the same way any NA motor would, better cam, higher compression, larger valves, open the ports. I would check on some of the Ranger (and maybe Euro Ford) websites for modifications.

Jake

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:45 pm

Cosworth 24V heads!!! :bounce

Okay, I suppose that falls outside the realm of a "simple upgrade", but does anyone know what all is different on the 24V Cossie short-block? I'm assuming pistons, but what else?
Brad

janvanv
Level 6
Level 6

Post by janvanv » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:18 pm

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Cosworth 24V heads!!! :bounce

Okay, I suppose that falls outside the realm of a "simple upgrade", but does anyone know what all is different on the 24V Cossie short-block? I'm assuming pistons, but what else?
Yes
John Vanlandingham
JVAB Imports
Seattle, WA, USA

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:23 pm

janvanv wrote:

Yes
Way to give some details. :dunno :poke So we have pistons, what else is different? Are the blocks that similar? Althought I supose I would just toss in a 3.0L Duratec first, maybe an SHO, or SC V-6. The 4.0L could be done as well, but would require a custom intake, I think.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI

Rocky's Wrench
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rocky's Wrench » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:25 pm

janvanv wrote:

Yes
The block itself is different...
You'll need to import the whole engine, but
be aware, some parts are unobtainium...

SteveL
SteveL
Orphan Addict...

Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:30 am

Rocky's Wrench wrote:
janvanv wrote:

Yes

SteveL
The blocks are slightly different. Small enough that you wouldent HAVE to get a new block. At any rate if you found two 24v cossie heads you could slap them on your 2.9 without issue.

Of course you might want to increase compression with new pistons, add a cam etc to take advanage of your new flow. You might send a PM to janvanv, he really digs the Cologne engines.
:)

janvanv
Level 6
Level 6

Post by janvanv » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:57 pm

Rocky's Wrench wrote:
janvanv wrote:

Yes

SteveL
OOOooooooohhhhh reeeeeeallly?
I know some of the machine operations different, but maybe you could share with class??????Hmmmmmmm?????

They're very EASY to get.
I know 2 and 3/4 V6 Cossie engines just waiting to start a new happy life in a car right here in western Washlincoln.

Megasquirt one and 275-295 bhp is easy all stock.

But as Frag said, I kinda like the simplicity of the "Taunus" or Cologne motors and since 1980 have built maybe a million High Po Ford 60 degree Vs
The funnest one was Steve Radosovitch where I made it 3,0l by +1mm bore, forged flat top pistons---cheaper than stock, a Kent cams and valve springs for "Fast road" use, and the sump it got was for the fun option that is EASY: 4x4 sump, diff, etc.

Really increasing the torque the engine makes is quite easy, but the question is how much can one do before the ECU is baffled, and the Auto-tragic is confused about when to downshift.

Still V6 is easy.
John Vanlandingham
JVAB Imports
Seattle, WA, USA

ScorpioCDN
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ScorpioCDN » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:06 am

John,

What kind of of pistons are you talking about? Flat pistons, are they standard type or hi-comp. after-market?
Cheers,
J.G.C.
Jag XK120
2-Jag XJ6
Triumph TR6
MGB-GT
MGA-Coupé
Scorpio 1989

Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:51 pm

ScorpioCDN wrote:John,

What kind of of pistons are you talking about? Flat pistons, are they standard type or hi-comp. after-market?
Cheers,
You might try giving him a ring...

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
:)

ScorpioCDN
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ScorpioCDN » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:30 am

Thank you Dawed,

I'll do that...
J.G.C.
Jag XK120