Valve Cover Gaskets

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Valve Cover Gaskets

Post by MerkurScorpio » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:58 pm

It looks like I'm going to need to replace my valve cover gaskets.

Just got back from a 200 mile round trip, and as I'm pulling onto my road I start seeing smoke coming out of my grill. I pop the hood and I got smoke coming off the exhaust just behind the engine (basically the smoke was coming right past the tranny fluid dipstick). At first, I was worried it was a tranny leak seeing where the smoke was coming from (and the fact that the aroma was unusually pungent). A few drops on the ground quickly revealed it was oil though. I went back and looked at the engine and then realized my valve covers were quite moist, especially toward the back of the motor. This didn't surprise me because one of my mechanics said some recent seapage indicated they didn't have much longer.

I checked the oil right away and luckilly there was still plenty, although it seemed a bit lighter in color than it did this morning. As a matter of fact, I thought to myself that the oil looked in need of changing (and my little sticker did verfiy this). Now the oil looks cleaner than it did. Weird huh?

Anyway, my question is thus:

About how many man-hours does it take to replace the gaskets on an 89 Scorpio?

Thanks everyone!
-Paul-Michael Van Hook, Northeastern PA
'89 Merkur Scorpio "HookSport"

Paul-Aaron Zachary Van Hook is one year old! Born 11/4/2009!

My Facebook page

Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:16 pm

Just a couple hours. It's not that big of a project as they are pretty accessible.
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:24 pm

Took me 3 the first time. I also cleaned up the valve covers. Get the Felpro blue silicon rubber with the washers at the bolt holes.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI

MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MerkurScorpio » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:49 pm

Should I be at all concerned that the oil looked cleaner tonight than it did this morning?
-Paul-Michael Van Hook, Northeastern PA
'89 Merkur Scorpio "HookSport"

Paul-Aaron Zachary Van Hook is one year old! Born 11/4/2009!

My Facebook page

Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:56 am

MerkurScorpio wrote:Should I be at all concerned that the oil looked cleaner tonight than it did this morning?
I'd just do an oil change (it's due anyway) and keep and eye on it.

milehigh- Didn't know that there were blue, silicone, grommeted valve cover gaskets for the 2.9. I've just used the Fel-Pro black rubber ones and haven't had an issue.
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."

hypoxia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hypoxia » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:51 am

I've been very reluctant to change my VC gaskets just because it looked so time consuming and more intricate than other vehicle VC gaskets I've done. . . .

Bob Weir
Membership Coordinator

Post by Bob Weir » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:31 pm

You can use a little thread to tie the gasket to the valve cove to hold it in place until you get the bolts started. Then cut the thread & remove it before tightening.

Bob

xrissane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xrissane » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:54 am

Just saw this topic - have to say, you Merk Scorp owners make it quite simple and cheap to renew these things...

When it comes to the old 24v Cossie Boa -engine, it is up to your wallet (or some diy-work) - those gaskets are available only with valve covers (straight vulcanized in them). Ie couple of them would make some 500 euros... :x

Jussi
-83 -93 Sierra XR4i 24v Cosworth -modified
-93 Scorpio Cosworth STW Ghia

soooo history -04 Citroen C2 1,6 VTR SensoDrive
now presenting -09 Galaxy 2,2 Tdci Titanium