delayed engagement

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
hypoxia
Level 1
Level 1

delayed engagement

Post by hypoxia »

As you might recall I had all the seals replaced and the filter replaced on my automatic tranny last year. The car has been driven maybe a dozen times since then. It's developed delayed engagement not only upon starting for the first time that day but also when in gear at stop lights. Needless to say I'm quite peeved.

The fluid levels are within acceptable parameters and there is no debris or brown discoloration.

It happens not only in cold weather but when it's been in a heated garage.

Thoughts?
scorpioaddict
Level 5
Level 5

Post by scorpioaddict »

That's a bummer...

Might be worth checking line pressure. Was the front pump replaced? It could also be a seal or seals, or perhaps sticking valves in the valve body (which can be diagnosed w/o pulling the trans). Did they renew plates and clutch discs?

Some of the A4s were designed to be slow in transition between, say, P and R, or R and D, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're talking about.
hypoxia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hypoxia »

The only things that were replaced were all the seals (the front ones gave out so we had all of them replaced), the filter, and the fluids.
scorpioaddict
Level 5
Level 5

Post by scorpioaddict »

that's a little curious to me, since by now, a stock trannie would also definitely benefit from new clutches and servos, at least. A new pump might or might not have been needed. In your shoes, I'd probably take it to a trannie shop for diagnosis at this point.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Sounds like morning sickness to me. Replace the low reverse servo seal with one for a C-6 and if it doesn't go away you need new seals, again cuz they used the wrong ones, or screwed up the install. Even when it is cold outside once evenrything is warm you should not have a slow engagement. I'll see if I can post the TSB about this specific issue later.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
hypoxia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hypoxia »

What kind of seals should they be using? The shop had to special-order them and I wonder if they ordered the wrong ones. . . .

Thank you. :)
hypoxia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hypoxia »

The TSB would be helpful. There are two that I can see that would be relevant, 89-21-08 and 89-10-09. I can't find any actual text online, so far.
hypoxia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hypoxia »

On my way home this evening I was stopped at a light for at least thirty seconds when suddenly the car shuddered and I heard THUNK. It was exactly like being rear-ended at 5 mph except there were no cars behind me. It was the transmission, I'm sure of it.

I just pulled the paperwork from when I had it fixed. 2 year, 24K warranty. Rawk!
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

hypoxia wrote:What kind of seals should they be using? The shop had to special-order them and I wonder if they ordered the wrong ones. . . .

There's 2 types, and it is dependent on which pistons you have. One is an O-ring, and the other is a "double lip" design. When I ordered my ATP seal kit thru my local independent auto parts store it had both styles. Needless to say I scratched my head wondering why as it was the first trans I'd built.
Johnny

DCLXVI
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Time for a double post :) Here are to image captures of the 2 TSBs I could find quickly.

I had sent a CD of the all the TSBs that I have for the XR and Scorpio to a certain someone to be posted on a certain Merkur info site :poke but I guess he's busier than snot :dunno At least I think he got them...

There are a sh*thouse of TSBs for the Scorpio, and a lot have to do with the trans. PM me your address, and I'll send you a copy of them on a CD(it's 12mb, and I don't have an FTP site.)

Basicly the shop that did it(or a better one) is more than likely going to have to open it again. I can't find the one talking about the C-6 low revese servo, but you could go and buy the part and do that yourself(get yer service manual out)
Johnny

DCLXVI
hypoxia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hypoxia »

Wow. Thank you immensely for the assistance! I'll take copies of the TSBs as well as the shop manual to the shop for their reference.

I'm not doing any auto work for the next six or seven months due to being pregnant and not willing to expose myself to chemicals or 2 tons of falling metal. ;) The work the shop did is under warranty, so I'll have them fix it.

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Yeah I wouldn't want you doing it in that state either. I'll get the TSBs out tomorrow If I can. Hopefully they'll be agreeable to looking at them.
Johnny

DCLXVI
scorpioaddict
Level 5
Level 5

Post by scorpioaddict »

milehighXR wrote:Yeah I wouldn't want you doing it in that state either. I'll get the TSBs out tomorrow If I can. Hopefully they'll be agreeable to looking at them.
I'd love a copy of the TSB(s), too (or where to get them). I thought AllData had it available as one big glob, but I can't seem to find it now. to cfa at alt dot net.

re: the C6 seal: my parts house pulled one out, and we couldn't find any way to use it.

There's also an 'early' and 'late' transmission, and some of the seals are different and don't interchange. The catalogs list it as 85-87, and 88-up. There were some so-called 87 model A4LDs in the Scorpio. I have one early and one late transmission car.
scorpioaddict
Level 5
Level 5

Post by scorpioaddict »

I'd be happy to host the TSB file on my Scorpio website, by the way. I just checked out of curiousity to see if I could handle it:

Disk Space: 48.00 MB of 5000.00 MB (0.96%)
Bandwidth: 0 MB of 250000.00 MB (0%)
hypoxia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hypoxia »

I can download and print them quite easily.

If you're opening them in Acrobat, by the way (not just Reader), there's an option a couple of lines below the "save as" option which is "reduce file size." That can help immensely. :)