Scorpio Change Delineation Thread

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

milehighXR wrote:Are you sure that bottle shipped with the car new? All the Merkurs I have looked at all have P/Ns starting with 85, or 86, and NOT the US standard of E5 for 85. Unless of course the part was replaced stateside with North American parts.
That was just about what I was going to suggest Johnny. I think that's the later replacement tank, which actually fits both the XR and Scorpio. I had one of those on the Brat car, and it will probably make a reappearance there when I reassemble. I got mine out of a junkyard Scorpio, but it had clearly been replaced.
Brad
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

milehighXR wrote:Are you sure that bottle shipped with the car new? All the Merkurs I have looked at all have P/Ns starting with 85, or 86, and NOT the US standard of E5 for 85. Unless of course the part was replaced stateside with North American parts.
Thats the US Ford ID sticker on it starting with F0RY, I didn't think to look at the actual Euro p/n thats probably molded into the plastic.
scorpioaddict
Level 5
Level 5

Post by scorpioaddict »

It's late at night, so I can't call a dealer, but that part number doesn't come up in PartsVoice, or on Green Sales, RS Ford Parts, or Central Lincoln-Mercury.
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Production numbers for Scorpios

Post by FocusSVT »

On a whim I got on ford.com last week and sent them an email inquiring about production #'s for the Merkur Scorpio. Not only did I get a response, I actually got a call on my cell phone today about it. A very nice young lady 1st called and told me Ford didn't have that information, but she forwarded my request to their "archive" department. She then called me back and gave me the numbers that they had access to. Unfortunately the production #'s are for every Scorpio/Granada that came out of West Germany during those two years. Not what was imported to the US. So the numbers are:

1988 98491 units.
1989 88947 units.

She didn't have any numbers on auto vs. 5-speed or anything cool like that, but I wanted to share what she did have.

I was very surprised to get a call from someone, I really thought the email would disappear into the void. I guess that is why I like Ford :)

Later,
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: Scorpio Change Delineation Thread

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Examined internals on some dash vent door motors I accumulated from earlier JY scrounging. Found that in two of them the large synthetic gear was capped at its top where it matches the shape of the square shaft from the motor with a square reinforcing washer. Clearly not an aftermarket application as square washers of the correct dimensions are hard to source. Notwithstanding that washer--which ostensibly was to prevent the gear from failing--those washer-ed gears also had cracks but not serious enough to for the vent doors to fail to operate properly.

Will post pics later.

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
tvissoc
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tvissoc »

I saw no specific mention of 1989 for 5 speed manual availability. Mentioned in passing, but not as a feature.

Also, I think in '89 and maybe only on the 5 speed cars, there was a twin EGO sensor ECU. What I haven't determined yet is whether this eliminated the EGR.

Can someone provide the ECU models for the U.S. Cars?
Tony Vissoc
Nothing to see here. Move along.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I am only aware of only 2 ECUs for the Scorpios, the AT and MT versions. The MT had smog pump AFAIK from looking at the service manual. You might be hearing info about the nonexistent 1990, that was to get the MTX 75 manual trans...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

Hey Ed, if you have time, could you post up those pictures what you were talking about?

Thanks
Ed Lijewski wrote:Examined internals on some dash vent door motors I accumulated from earlier JY scrounging. Found that in two of them the large synthetic gear was capped at its top where it matches the shape of the square shaft from the motor with a square reinforcing washer. Clearly not an aftermarket application as square washers of the correct dimensions are hard to source. Notwithstanding that washer--which ostensibly was to prevent the gear from failing--those washer-ed gears also had cracks but not serious enough to for the vent doors to fail to operate properly.

Will post pics later.

YMMV 8)
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

milehighXR wrote:I am only aware of only 2 ECUs for the Scorpios, the AT and MT versions. The MT had smog pump AFAIK from looking at the service manual.
I have 4 different Scorp EEC-IV ECU's here, 88 automatic, 89 automatic, 89 manual. . .

89 manual cars did use 2 oxygen sensors and a smog air pump.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

merkurdriver wrote:
milehighXR wrote:I am only aware of only 2 ECUs for the Scorpios, the AT and MT versions. The MT had smog pump AFAIK from looking at the service manual.
I have 4 different Scorp EEC-IV ECU's here, 88 automatic, 89 automatic, 89 manual. . .

Learn sumtin new all the time. P/Ns?
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

FocusSVT wrote:Hey Ed, if you have time, could you post up those pictures what you were talking about?

Thanks
Ed Lijewski wrote:Examined internals on some dash vent door motors I accumulated from earlier JY scrounging. Found that in two of them the large synthetic gear was capped at its top where it matches the shape of the square shaft from the motor with a square reinforcing washer. Clearly not an aftermarket application as square washers of the correct dimensions are hard to source. Notwithstanding that washer--which ostensibly was to prevent the gear from failing--those washer-ed gears also had cracks but not serious enough to for the vent doors to fail to operate properly.

Will post pics later.

YMMV 8)
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h28/P ... =slideshow

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
scorpioaddict
Level 5
Level 5

Post by scorpioaddict »

milehighXR wrote:
merkurdriver wrote:

Advance Auto lists replacements for
88GB-FA (manual trans) (88GB-12A650-FA)
88GB-HA (auto)
88GB-FC m
87GB-CA a
87GB-DA a
87GB-EA a
87GB-MA a
87GB-SA a
87GB-YA a
88GB-KA m

However, one of the suppliers, BWD, only lists one box for the manual and one for the automatic.
tvissoc
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tvissoc »

scorpioaddict wrote:
Advance Auto lists replacements for
88GB-FA (manual trans) (88GB-12A650-FA)
88GB-HA (auto)
88GB-FC m
87GB-CA a
87GB-DA a
87GB-EA a
87GB-MA a
87GB-SA a
87GB-YA a
88GB-KA m

However, one of the suppliers, BWD, only lists one box for the manual and one for the automatic.[/quote]

Finally found my '89 5 speed ECU.

88BB-LB (8BLB). 88BB-12A650-LB. Add that to the list of ECUs.

Tony
Tony Vissoc
tvissoc
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tvissoc »

Something else to add that I cannot confirm exactly, and I don't know if this is even of interest, but it is something to note. The environmental control computer thingy had a change at some point. The control voltage for the high speed fan operation was increased from about 5 volts to around 10 volts. In troubleshooting my in-op blower fan, the guide I had (from Roger the BCM rebuilder guy) said the low speed control voltage should be 2.1 and the high 5.0. Mine was 2.6 and 9.9.

There may be cause to suspect that this increase in voltage may also contribute to earlier than normal failure of the blower control module, which is now crispy on my scorpio.

Tony
Tony Vissoc
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I'm waking this thread back up with an observation I just had yesterday while ransacking a '89... The long seal that runs wheel-well to wheel-well below the doors... On the later cars this seal is metal reinforced and uses different clips than the earlier cars. The later seal seems like an improvement and will probably work with the earlier clips (most of which stay behind when you remove the seal).

Here's a pic of the clips used on the '87...
Attachments
Julescorp-11.JPG
Julescorp-11.JPG (961.13 KiB) Viewed 33976 times
Brad