Fog Lamp Question

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Fog Lamp Question

Post by FocusSVT » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:28 pm

I have been looking around for awhile for replacement fog lamps for my Scorpio. I see OPMD has some that work and BAT has them also.

I also see them on merkur.50megs.com, Greensales on ebay, and a few other places but they only sell the driver's side fog lamp.

My question: Is the passenger side the same part as the drivers's side?

If not, why is the passenger side seem to be impossible to find?

If different, what is the part # of the passenger side?

Just bored and planning ahead :)

Later,
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.

J.R.

Post by J.R. » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:56 am

Right side fog lamp is # E7RY 15200A.
Left side fog lamp is # E7RY 15200B.

Question was: "... why is the passenger side seem to be impossible to find?"

Possible answer: in U.S. more lamp-killing crap ends up to the right edge of the roadway, taking a higher toll on properly-placed (low-mounted) right side fog lamps; just a guess.

OTOH the right side lamps do come up on ebay from time to time. Happy searching.
J.R.

J.R.

Post by J.R. » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:07 am

Hey Darren,

Mike just posted the left side fog lamp you mentioned http://merkur.50megs.com/catalog_1.html
J.R.

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:59 am

I only have NEW driver's side ones and its been that way for years. I have good used pass side ones, though. When I aquired my stash of NOS Scorpio fog lamps YEARS ago it consisted of a full case of driver's side lamps, and only one passenger side lamp.

I think J.R. has it about right that the pass side fog would have been needed more than the drivers side. Same thing with brake calipers for the XR and Scorpio - I was finding driver's side calipers 3 to 1 over passenger side. I can only guess its from salty snowy roads having the majority of that nasty stuff plowed to the right hand side of the road, thus attacking the passenger side caliper with more salt than the driver's side would see.

88dbdragscorpio

fog light covers

Post by 88dbdragscorpio » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:44 pm

can you find the covers? both of my lights work but i dont have the covers

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:57 pm

PM me, I have some if no one else does.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI

estep04

Post by estep04 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:39 am

Honestly, take the lens and put them next to each other. The right side and left side lenses are almost identical. No one is going to get down there and make sure one says LH and the other says RH. They will work as well as look good. I believe, if you are a merkur owner, it will satisfy you. But, it was a while ago when I looked at both lenses...look for yourself and make the decision.
'88 Scorpio-Chestnut Metallic
'99 Taurus DOHC

scorpioaddict
Level 5
Level 5

Post by scorpioaddict » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:15 pm

The lenses are just enough different that it would be major grinding on the housing to swap them.

Bob Weir
Membership Coordinator

Post by Bob Weir » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:56 pm

Other than making it "concourse" I'm surprised you're trying to get the correct fog lamps and lenses. Personally, I think they provide very little illumination even in foggy conditions.

I've always planned on replacing mine with true "running" [not fog] lights. I've installed true "running" lights on other cars and appreciated the greater distance illumination on the ground and still not interfere with on coming drivers. Yes, I know the Scorpio's "fog" only work on low beam and "running" lights require a different wiring setup.

Just my thoughts.

If you're really interested in a set of OEM fogs, make me an offer.

Carlisle - sooner than we realize...

FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:56 am

Bob Weir wrote:Other than making it "concourse" I'm surprised you're trying to get the correct fog lamps and lenses. Personally, I think they provide very little illumination even in foggy conditions.

I've always planned on replacing mine with true "running" [not fog] lights. I've installed true "running" lights on other cars and appreciated the greater distance illumination on the ground and still not interfere with on coming drivers. Yes, I know the Scorpio's "fog" only work on low beam and "running" lights require a different wiring setup.

Just my thoughts.

If you're really interested in a set of OEM fogs, make me an offer.

Carlisle - sooner than we realize...
Good insight, I am mainly just trying to find something that will fit and look good/oem in our cars. What type of driving light did you have in mind?
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.

Bob Weir
Membership Coordinator

Post by Bob Weir » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:07 pm

Cibie and Hella come to mind. But, I really haven't done any research other than bookmarking their web sites. Years ago, I did use lights from one of them. It came with relays and very complete instructions.

DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Fog Lamp Question

Post by DAReese » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:35 am

Resurrecting an old thread.

I'm looking at the right and left side fog lights, and it looks to me like the only difference is the mounting bracket for the mirror. It would seem you could take that out of a passenger's side light and swap it into a good driver's side one.

Now this observation s coming from the UK Granada/Scorpio/Sierra lights, and they aren't quite as deep as the Merkur one, but mounting points appear to be the same.

Also interesting to note is the lens from the UK version is concave, which would presumably make it less likely to break and the RH side ones there are just as hard to find.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?

Bob Weir
Membership Coordinator

Post by Bob Weir » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:33 pm

If I remember correctly when redoing my scorpio fog lights: the assembly is side [driver vs passenger] specific and you can "glue" either lens onto the assembly. I use a very thin wire wrapped around lens & assembly to prevent lens from popping out and shattering on the ground.

Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:24 pm

Re Scorpio passenger side fog light legend:

Why do you always see just one shoe by the side of the road?

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... f-the-road

YMMV ;)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!

brokencase
Level 4
Level 4

Post by brokencase » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:15 pm

I thought about cnc'ing some plastic replacement lenses out of some thick Lexan. I could then stow my glass lenses someplace safe.

On my old Scorpio the original fog lamps were blasted away. PO probably hit some snow drifts or something.
I managed to adapt some aftermarket fog lamps into the holes with some bracketry engineering.

I think snow drifts kill a lot of fog lights, and not just on Scorpios.

Here are pics from my old Scorpio aftermarket conversion...circa 1998.