what is it worth?

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Ed
Level 2
Level 2

what is it worth?

Post by Ed »

at work there is a 1988 Merkur Scorpio automatic, with 153,414 km, solid underside little body rust, red, grey cloth interior, factory radio, has been sitting for approx 3 or 4 years, still runs, needs brakes all around, a battery, probably 4 tires, driver side fog lamp, and an oil change, tranny flush and coolant flush would be nice, need serious waxing. What would this car be worth (preferably in canadian $, and/or is anyone interested in it, (it is in Oakville Ontario, between Hamilton and Toronto)?
Alex20

Post by Alex20 »

I would say $900 in non canadian
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Whatever you can get someone to pay for it... not to be a smartass, but it's the plain truth.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Ed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ed »

i was thinkin i may even want it a second merk, what would be a good offer for it? (they are askin 1200, but with the stuff it needs thats gettin kinda steep)
ScorpioCDN
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ScorpioCDN »

Hi,

If there is nothing more to do on it that what you mentioned, I would say $850-900CDN will be an acceptable option. As the car is a relatively low mileage it could be a good deal.

Cheers, JGC
J.G.C.
Jag XK120
2-Jag XJ6
Triumph TR6
MGB-GT
MGA-Coupé
Scorpio 1989
RyanH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RyanH »

Honestly, I wouldn't offer more than $500-600CDN for the car. When a car sits for that long, there are a plethora of parts that may go bad. Rubber seals dry out and shrink, engine parts and accessories start to corrode internally, rodents can wreak havoc, fuel turns to varnish, etc etc. To me it sounds like more trouble than it's worth. If you really want it, I'd lowball an offer and see if he takes it. If the car was started every once in a while, that's better, but if it sat untouched for years, it could have some issues.

The Scorpio market seem to be a bit of a mystery... you'll get people with absolute basketcases for sale that want rediculous amounts of money for them, and then you find owners that want to get rid of a creampuff with a few minor problems for almost nothing. Finding the right car for the right price is hit-or-miss.

Oddly enough, I just bought a Scorp myself tonight. It's been sitting for 5 months, but the tires were still inflated, and it started on the first turn of the key (charged the battery), with no noticeable smoke from the tailpipe and no lifter noise. Fresh paint in 2002 (little rust around the rear arches...must've been a quick job), mint black leather, uncracked dash, all working electronics (even the lights in the power window switches), aftermarket stereo, alarm system, etc. All it needs is an ABS pump (we have a good spare), front brakes, and a front pump seal in the tranny. $500. Hopefully, she'll make a nice daily driver while I attempt to build up an XR as a weekend toy. Of course, it could be a well-disguised pile 'o junk. Only time will tell.

Anyway, good luck with the car if you choose to buy the Scorp -- and if you do, keep in mind we have a great local club in Southern Ontario that meets every month. Cheers! 8)
rat_n_a_cage
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rat_n_a_cage »

$67,000 - actually half of that ... :wink:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.js ... First=true