Day dreaming about a 4.0L in a Scorpio

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Day dreaming about a 4.0L in a Scorpio

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:36 pm Sounds like a lot of work for just a slight increase in hp. That new explorer is suppose to be 400hp. I wonder if that will get swapped into something in the next few years.
In the proper perspective, the idea is actually to minimize the amount of work. The base assumption is that a top-end service is needed - i.e. rebuild or rebuilt heads installed. With that as a given, it's not much more work to just install a 4L which is a much more reliable engine.

But funny enough, Phil and Hal were both like, "Why don't you just put an EcoBoost 3.7 with a 6-speed in there!?"
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

You have a parts Scorpio, what year? How's its engine? Pull it, if necessary install newer heads, store it until needed.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:09 pm You have a parts Scorpio, what year? How's its engine? Pull it, if necessary install newer heads, store it until needed.
It's an '89 but the heads have the "87TM" casting so I probably wouldn't want to use them. The car sat for 20 years, so who knows what's inside.

For $150 I could have a 4L engine that might be good to go as-is. Worse case, it needs a freshening up.
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:46 pm In the proper perspective, the idea is actually to minimize the amount of work. The base assumption is that a top-end service is needed - i.e. rebuild or rebuilt heads installed. With that as a given, it's not much more work to just install a 4L which is a much more reliable engine.
My point exactly with the 3.5L stroker. Minimal amount of work & cost. You're probably rebuilding whatever engine you are putting in anyway.

I've been "re-figuring" the stroker...
Use Chrysler 3.3L pistons instead. Eliminates having to deck the block and machine the manifold as a consequence of the decking.
But the piston wrist pin holes need to be reamed and honed out 0.040 to the 2.9 wrist pin size.
These pistons have a dish but it needs to be machined and deepened slightly. Compression should come out around 9.8 to 1.

There is a place that quoted a cost of $325 to balance the crankshaft assembly.

Reconditioned 4.0L crankshaft with bearings on ebay for $250.

With all the other rebuild bits like timing chain and oil pump, gaskets, etc.. you are looking at around $1100 total cost.

However I don't think I would attempt this on my current motor, This is an experiment that I would want to do at my leisure on a spare 2.9L engine.
Specialization is for Insects
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:40 am ..but in the mean time I've also found it on-line in a couple places such as this...
https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/r ... ushrod-v6/

I had a conference call with both Phil Marshall and Hal Clarke last night. BTW, they're both planning to come out to Carlisle this year, but I digress... Hal had some more specific memories of Noel's 4L swap. The thing he struggled the most with was getting the electronic controls working for the A4LD, as solenoids and the like changed over the years. There were physical as well as electronic challenges to conquer. None of that would be a concern for me with the T-9, so I didn't dig deeper on those issues.

Hal seemed to recall that the donor was an Aerostar. The harness and PCM was used in full from that donor. His recollection was that the AL pan from the Aerostar was used and that it fit without modification. The Aerostar engine was used as a whole without need to refabricate the intake manifold to make it fit under the hood. Phil still seemed to think that the X-member was spaced down, but Hal didn't recall that. I'm thinking spacing the X-member down should also help with getting the stock Scorpio exhaust to stay in roughly the same place due to the taller short-block. Hal didn't remember needing to fabricate custom motor mounts, but those details may have just faded with time. That tells me even if he did, it wasn't difficult.
Looks like the RangerStation copied it verbatim from the Engine Rebuilder's site.

It sounds like Hal pulled the engine and the trans over from the Aerostar. At that time the EECIV started taking over control of the trans.
More harness headaches that I can do without...

Believe it or not, There is a tech bulletin regarding the Aerostar A4LD oil pan as an upgrade for the Scorpio's A4LD (see below).
The conversion requires the use of a new filter screen. This filter has a "drop" to go down into the deeper pan.
ScorpioA4LDpan.jpg
ScorpioA4LDpan.jpg (110.34 KiB) Viewed 4836 times
Last edited by brokencase on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Oops.. forgot the second page of TSB...
ScorpioA4LDpan2.jpg
ScorpioA4LDpan2.jpg (92.01 KiB) Viewed 4834 times
Here is one up on ebay..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/A4LD-4R44E-4R5 ... 4055697265
Last edited by brokencase on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Of course you could also probably install one of these if you have the spare bucks...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmission-D ... 8075010719
Not sure what filter he uses...
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

brokencase wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:40 pm I've been "re-figuring" the stroker...
Use Chrysler 3.3L pistons instead. Eliminates having to deck the block and machine the manifold as a consequence of the decking.
But the piston wrist pin holes need to be reamed and honed out 0.040 to the 2.9 wrist pin size.
Correction - Bush and hone the little ends of the 2.9L connecting rods to the size of the 3.3 piston pins.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

One thing I hadn't thought about was whether there would be any issues using the Scorpio flywheel/clutch behind the 4L. I got concerned when I started reading some Ranger forums where it was indicated you HAD to upgrade to the 4L flywheel/clutch when doing the swap there. In short, you CAN use the Ranger 2.9 flywheel/clutch with the 4L in a Ranger, but it's a good idea to stick with all the 4L stuff (10" clutch) when doing the swap on that platform, especially when it's so readily available.

The Ranger 2.9 clutch is 8.875" vs. the Scorpio 2.9 clutch which is 9.5", so we're already more than half way to the 10". Given the use this car will be getting, I'm fine with sticking with the 9.5" clutch.
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

If you were doing the automatic then I think you would be fine with the 2.9L flexplate.

But with the manual I am less certain. I think you might want to get the whole rotating assembly balanced.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

brokencase wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:01 pm
brokencase wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:40 pm I've been "re-figuring" the stroker...
Correction - Bush and hone the little ends of the 2.9L connecting rods to the size of the 3.3 piston pins.
Even more correction/clarity..
Machine circlip/spiroloc grooves into Chrysler 3.3L pistons as described here...
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/g ... ove-92844/

May have to shorten wristpins slightly by turning down edges in the lathe.

Machine and bush con rod small end with this material...
https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/bro ... /pid/10473

Machine outer OD of material so as to have press fit into conrod and use Loctite "bearing mount" when pressing them in.
Also bore material slightly undersize of 3.3L wristpins. Ream progressively with adjustable reamer to "float fit".

You now have easy to assemble, full floating wristpins.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

brokencase wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:44 pm Machine circlip/spiroloc grooves into Chrysler 3.3L pistons as described here...
Argh.. Don't think groove is possible. When I look a a picture of the 3.3L piston there is not enough room.

The only way is to steel bush the 2.9L conrod little end and press the pin in. Tricky but doable...
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

FAQ on 2.9 to 4.0 Swap. It's written with a Ranger bias so some things don't apply, but it's got some value regardless...
https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/4 ... sion-faqs/
https://www.therangerstation.com/forums ... ing.96005/

A couple threads on the swap. Again, it's all Ranger-specific and some things may not apply, or may apply in a different way. The one thing that is apparent is that the Ranger harness is integrated with the dashboard harness. In the end, some cutting and splicing will be required.

As for motor mounts, I'm assuming that the Ranger mounting uses different bosses than the Scorpio. In several places it's indicated that the 2.9 and 4.0 use the same motor mounts. It seems for us, at least on the passenger side, it's not quite that easy.

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums ... it.167200/

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums ... -swap.246/

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums ... ible.4683/

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums ... swap.4322/
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

What transmission are you contemplating anyway?

From one of of your forum links...
" did my 4.0 Swap on an '87 from a'93 Explorer donor and I would not recommend doing it that way for anyone else...
It took a solid three weeks (80hour weeks) to combine the two harnesses to make everything work correctly."

That's why I would rather do the 3.5L stroker. No harness mangling.

I'd rather focus on just the engine internals. I am a bit biased in this regard because I have rebuilt my Sprite motor and I am no stranger to the pressed piston pin thing... It was a scary operation, but it worked great. You have only a few seconds to push the pin through. Of course I recently made pump jack press and I would probably use that going forward.
pistonpins1275.jpg
pistonpins1275.jpg (267.77 KiB) Viewed 4804 times
I also have access to a lathe, and I realize that not everyone is so blessed.

l think that a 3.5L will make at least 175hp (maybe more). Which is plenty..
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

brokencase wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:18 pm What transmission are you contemplating anyway?

From one of of your forum links...
" did my 4.0 Swap on an '87 from a'93 Explorer donor and I would not recommend doing it that way for anyone else...
It took a solid three weeks (80hour weeks) to combine the two harnesses to make everything work correctly."
I plan to leave the T-9 in there.

I don't know why it took Allan that long to figure out the wiring. I suppose it was because it was not just the engine wiring but the whole dashboard wiring that was different between the two different generation Rangers. I would try to dumb it down as much as possible. I presume the Scorpio is like the XR and the engine harness is pretty much stand-alone, yes?
Brad