Oil pan removal.

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Oil pan removal.

Post by brokencase »

I thought the procedure was to use one of those cross bars across the engine bay to lift the engine.
Specialization is for Insects
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

brokencase wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:31 pm I thought the procedure was to use one of those cross bars across the engine bay to lift the engine.
That's fine, if you happen to have one, or want to make one; most of us have found that there's more than one way to skin a cat.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Per the Workshop Manual - you only have to drop the crossmember 2"
However, when removing the oil pan gasket, there are wedges in a sealing groove of the rear main bearing cap. You might have to remove the bearing cap to remove any remaining gasket material.

Good luck
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Bob Weir wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:51 pm Per the Workshop Manual - you only have to drop the crossmember 2"
However, when removing the oil pan gasket, there are wedges in a sealing groove of the rear main bearing cap. You might have to remove the bearing cap to remove any remaining gasket material.

Good luck
Haven't dropped the pan on a Scorpio, only the XR... however, if you lower the crossmember 2" you are at or near the end of the threads, and risk dropping the engine anyway. I would never attempt any of it without supporting the engine, one way or another...
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

The manual does say to support engine from above. I was primarily letting readers know the manual says 2" drop and the cautionary note of rear bearing cap gasket material.

I pulled my complete engine from top, so I don't know the accuracy of the 2" spec.

The more I reflect on the time under my Scorpio, I can understand the 2" spec, but the engine probably has to be at the perfect angle to clear the bell housing to wiggle the pan out.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Rocky's Wrench wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:13 am You guys are overthinking this task, it's an hours work to drop the cross member, working slowly...
I did it once on the XR years ago. I recall the biggest hassle was dealing with the brake lines. At least on this car they're not rusty.
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Here is the timing chain replacement procedure that encompasses the removal of the oil pan.
This is for the later post 1990 Euro 2.9L Scorpios but I think it is much the same.

There are some good step by step visuals as well as the cross bar I mentioned.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/eng ... gChain.pdf
Specialization is for Insects