Upgraded fuel injectors

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Father Adam
Level 4
Level 4

Upgraded fuel injectors

Post by Father Adam » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:09 pm

I came across these on eBay, the ad states they are upgraded injectors and will fit the Scorpio, does anyone know what advantages a set of these would bring over standard ones?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reman-Upgrade-4 ... 50&vxp=mtr

Edit:

I've viewed a YouTube video with a pretty good demonstration of the differences between the two types of injectors, quite amazing really; it doesn't state however what difference to performance or economy though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHf-6ohkgbA
1989 Ford Granada Scorpio

http://adamsgranadablog.weebly.com/

shadowwolffe

Re: Upgraded fuel injectors

Post by shadowwolffe » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:22 pm

I grabbed 5.0 explorer injectors.

My buddy has a v6 Dakota with the single hole injectors. He switched to newer 4hole injectors. Slightly better mpg and easier start and idle.

But I'd just order newest 5.0 explorer injectors from rock auto

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:12 am

I've done this on a couple cars over the years and have been surprised by the positive difference it made. And this was with junkyard-pulled injectors that I only casually inspected/cleaned.

It goes without saying, but make sure the impedance and sizing is correct for your application. Nowadays almost all injectors are high impedance so that's not usually a concern unless we're talking XR4Ti running a factory 2.3T PCM (LA3, PE, PF3, etc). I'm currently running a '94 Ranger 2.3 PCM with a Crown Vic slot-MAF in the Brat with 32 PPH 4-hole injectors from a '96 Saab 9000.
Brad

Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:18 pm

So 5.0 'jectors are plug and play in a factory stock XR/Scorpio?
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!

shadowwolffe

Post by shadowwolffe » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:25 pm

The 99ish 5.0 Explorer injectors are plug and play. flow rate is the same or a little higher. Most injectors are, it's just a matter of lbs per hr. Virtually all Ford injectors are interchangeable. except for the flow rate.

19 and 24 lbs are most standard rates,

Just can't use low impedance in high impedance applications

John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:06 pm

shadowwolffe wrote:The 99ish 5.0 Explorer injectors are plug and play. flow rate is the same or a little higher. Most injectors are, it's just a matter of lbs per hr. Virtually all Ford injectors are interchangeable. except for the flow rate.

19 and 24 lbs are most standard rates,

Just can't use low impedance in high impedance applications
Or in the entire rest of the world, including the worlds largest injector manufacturer---its cc/min....

9Always thought it flat beeee-zarre that some people persist in talking weird units like Lebz per hour whn I cna't recall any time at any visit at a gas station since i started buying gasoline 48 years ago that I bought any pounds of gasoline....Bought a lot of gallons and bought thousands of liters and i know a liter is 1000cc but what the hell is a pound of gasoline?)
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/

shadowwolffe

Post by shadowwolffe » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:11 pm

A pound is how much you can get for one British pound.

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:26 pm

shadowwolffe wrote:Most injectors are, it's just a matter of lbs per hr. Virtually all Ford injectors are interchangeable. except for the flow rate.
This is a dangerous statement, although you sorta correct it by mentioning the flow rate. Indeed the various flow rates of injectors makes them NOT interchangeable, unless you have a means to account (i.e. tune) for the different flow rates.

And yea, I agree with John that the pph rating is a weird "standard" to use; CC/min makes much more sense. But it seems like the pph rating is used most often in the US when talking about American engines, so I tend to stick with that.
Brad

Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:54 pm

^^ That's why I asked which 5.slow 'injectors are plug and play. So what year(s) is/are-the '99s alone or others as well?

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!

shadowwolffe

Post by shadowwolffe » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:27 pm

Your right I should clarify.

If the body of the injectors are the same they will physically swap. However you need to check the part number for flow rate and not use low impedance in place of high impediance injectors.

Some of the newer style injectors can be swapped too.

Againg it is important to check flow rate. There are several web sites that list Ford injector flow rates.

99-01 5.0 explorer 4 hole yellow injectors are the same rate as a Scorpio or a couple pph more. The explorer injectors are 24pph I believe

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:05 am

shadowwolffe wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:27 pm
99-01 5.0 explorer 4 hole yellow injectors are the same rate as a Scorpio or a couple pph more. The explorer injectors are 24pph I believe
The yellow injectors are typically 19pph. The Scorpio 2.9 injectors are 14pph. You do NOT want to dump 35% more fuel into the engine. Closed-loop operation might be able to correct for that once warm, but only then.

There are plenty of 14pph injectors out there in the junkyard/eBay. Do your research.
Brad

Merkurfast
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Merkurfast » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:15 pm

Funny, I was texting Jeff at Mekur Midwest about having done this with my Scorpio. I installed 89 reman heads and replaced my injectors with the 4 hole type. You definitely get better throttle response. I think horsepower increase might be slight, as well as mpg. I dont recall mine being yellow but they were the proper poundage. Price was the same as reman stock on ebay. I think anyone who installs them would be pleased.