Engine ceased functionning randomly, a problem

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
ScorpioCDN
Level 2
Level 2

Engine ceased functionning randomly, a problem

Post by ScorpioCDN »

Hello,

A very unpleasant problem as while driving the engine decide to stop. I just have to place trans in neutral and restart it and it works fine. What could be the cause? I suspected a clogged fuel filter as the one on the car is only 3 years old, almost brand new. Someone having other ideas..
Thanks
J.G.C.
Jag XK120
2-Jag XJ6
Triumph TR6
MGB-GT
MGA-Coupé
Scorpio 1989
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

The TFI or ignition module--attached to the distributor. The symptom you describe is often caused by a bad/failing ignition module. These can be checked, but it's cheaper to just replace it. Auto parts stores sell replacements made by Wells Manufacturing for under $50. If you're not handy mechanically, have your shop put the new one in. :wink:

YMMV 8)
ScorpioCDN
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ScorpioCDN »

Hello,

Well Alex I just tried to be humorous. I replaced fuel filter and I don't think I fund the problem as yesterday morning the engine started and after 5 sec it stopped. I have bee unable to restart it since. Thanks ed I will check for ignition problem first.
Cheers,
J.G.C.
Jag XK120
2-Jag XJ6
Triumph TR6
MGB-GT
MGA-Coupé
Scorpio 1989
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

If it won't start, or started then stalled and then can't be restarted, check for spark. If there's no spark, it's the TFI almost certainly. :wink:

YMMV 8)
ScorpioCDN
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ScorpioCDN »

HELLO,

Good news, fire at plugs was finally O.K., it was fuel pump relay the guilty one. I replaced it with horn relay and it start right away. My two cents question for the day: where could I find theses relays? I am sure that Ford dealers in my region think I am from March when I name Merkur. Is there aftermarket relays or does theses relays were on othe Ford's cars...

Thanks,
J.G.C.
Jag XK120
2-Jag XJ6
Triumph TR6
MGB-GT
MGA-Coupé
Scorpio 1989
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I vould sink you could get zem from ze dealerr, or ze pahts storre, no? Heh heh!

Just kidding, mon ami! I don't think they are anything rare or hard to find, from my experience. 8)
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Goods news, indeed. Try your Ford or Mercury dealer. All relays are not alike although some as you found are or at least work as a replacement (different amperages, e.g.). I'd guess you'd find the same relays on a Ford product of the late '80s early 90's at your junkyard. :wink:

YMMV 8)