Mousse-Be-Gone

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mousse-Be-Gone

Post by Bob Weir »

broken case
Yes, I was enjoying my wine last night.

I didn't mean to challenge your vacuum flow through the engine. My mind was trying to describe the routing of the various vac hoses, because too many new Merkur owners don't have the Workshop Manual nor Elec & Vac books to help them understand the vac system.

I didn't mean to imply you are a "newbie"! I've been following your informative posts.

Bob
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Well...

Now that we have established that air is going INTO the passenger side valve cover then we can now talk
more informatively about the "mousse" problem.

First off - There is nothing wrong with the Scorpio PCV system as designed, it is just like every other car of that vintage.

Secondly - I wouldn't worry about the O-ring on the cap (unless it is totally gone). It does not have to be a super-duper seal.

Thirdly, DO NOT remove the filter in the airbox for the hose going over to the
passenger side cap. The bottom of the air box collects with crap that does not get past the air
filter. You do not want that stuff going into the hose over to the valve cover.

To be honest. I think if you see mousse then you have a problem, either a cracked head or more likely
a leaking head or manifold gasket.

It may be a big problem or it may be a small problem. The mousse may come and it may go.

But believe me I have gone down this road with the Scorpio I had back in the 90's.
I know where this story ends.

If it were me, I would buy the Felpro upper gaskets set and pull the heads.
Specialization is for Insects
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Engine w-o heads sm.jpg
Engine w-o heads sm.jpg (65.27 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
Been there, done that
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

While the "weak" head design of the 2.9L is well documented, I don't abide that this is the overwhelming cause of cracked heads and blown gaskets.

I think if you don't let them overheat then the 2.9L will last a long time.

One problem is that the Scorpio temp gauge sensor is prone to fail. The low coolant sensor also fails.
Consequently many Scorpio engines overheat and the owners never knew it.

The other problem is improper purging of the coolant system when draining/re-filling.
This is why I recommend a 180F thermostat. Also drill a 1/8" bypass hole in the thermostat (if it does not already have one).

Running a lower temp thermostat is also beneficial to the transmission.
Specialization is for Insects