Scorpio Signal Generator for Speedometer Diagnosis

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Scorpio Signal Generator for Speedometer Diagnosis

Post by FocusSVT »

I have been looking into this for awhile now and finally found a little time / motivation to make a tool for generating a signal that would simulate the VSS sensor in the Scorpio. This tool is only a diagnostic tool, and in no way fixes anything.

I have had several issues over the years with Scorpio Speedometers. The usual issue with the odometer gear falling apart, and the more annoying issue where the needle either gets stuck at a slow speed, or at another seemingly random speed. The only way to fix these is to tap the dash pad and get it to release.

If your speedometer is working, but the odometer is not, then 90% of the time it is a bad odometer gear. Here is a website with a procedure for replacing the odometer gear: http://www.odometergears.com/documentat ... ctions.pdf

Here is a vendor that sells the odometer gear. There are two of them and I recommend replacing them as a pair: The kit includes C11 & C12. $39 per set + shipping. Website: http://www.transmissioncenter.net/speed ... ____va.htm
About half way down the page.

I have a speedometer that works perfectly, but the odometer is dead. I checked and replaced the odometer gear even though the original wasn't broken. I checked for binding and even advanced it manually. Everything seemed to work, but it would not advance. Up until now the only way I had of testing it was to install it in a Scorpio and drive around. Not an ideal situation.

Parts Needed: Ebay or equivalent
(1) NE555 Duty Cycle and Frequency Adjustable Module Square Wave Pulse generator PCB
(1) 12V 2A Power Supply AC 100-240V To DC Adapter Plug For 3528 5050 Strip LED
(1) 10 PCS OF A 3 PIN , FEMALE TO FEMALE , 2.54 MM , DUPONT WIRE JUMPER
(1) Connector to the speedometer or equivalent so you can interface with it. You can make your own jumpers if you don't have a spare connector to use.

My total cost by purchasing on Ebay was $20.23. Shipping included.

Step 1: Define what colors you are using for wiring scheme. You will need (-), (+), and output signal from NE555 (VSS signal).

Step 2: Clip off end of the 3 conductor wire connector, strip them, and connect the (+) and (-) to the appropriate power tap on the 12v power supply and use the connector on the other end to plug into the NE555 board. It is clearly labeled. Make sure you have the correct orientation/polarity or you could fry the NE555

Step 3: Get another piece of 3 conductor wire and clip both connectors off of it. Define your (+) and (-) with this section and connect one end to the appropriate (+) and (-) tap on the power supply and then the other end will go to the speedometer. The speedometer connector has options for 5 conductors, but only 3 are used. The top one is (-), the bottom left one is (+), and the bottom right one is the (VSS signal)

Step 4: Connect the two sections of wire that you are using for the output from the NE555 together. I soldered them together and then taped them off. If you are using the connector to the speedometer, then connect the other end of the NE555 output to the (VSS signal) input on the speedometer.

Step 5: If you plug the speedometer connector to the speedometer and then plug in the 12v power supply, you should be in business. By adjusting the left potentiometer you can adjust the frequency of the square wave generated. (When I plugged mine in the speedometer initially went to around 50 mph)

Step 6: This set up cannot verify the accuracy of the speedometer since you don't know what the output frequency is at any given time, but it will allow you to verify if the step motor is moving for the odometer. If it is and the odometer isn't advancing, then the odometer gear is the culprit. In my case, the stepper motor isn't moving at all, so the fault is on the board somewhere, not a bad gear.

Here are pictures of the various parts and the final assembly:
NE555 Board:

Diagram of the board: NOTE: I had to move the jumper to the 1KHZ - 10KHZ position before I could get a reading on the speedometer. I also only adjusted the frequency, not the duty cycle.

Finished product:

In operation:

Hope this can help people diagnose faulty speedometers. If anyone has a question, please ask, and I will do my best to answer!
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
thattg
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Scorpio Signal Generator for Speedometer Diagnosis

Post by thattg »

Wow. Nice work!

Did you find what was wrong with it?
88 Scorpio
Red/Black
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

thattg wrote:Wow. Nice work!

Did you find what was wrong with it?
Not yet. The next write up I am going to do is describing the chip that drives the circuit and how it works. My next diagnostic step will be to determine if the stepper motor is getting the command to pulse. If it is, then the stepper motor is bad. If it isn't, maybe it is upstream somewhere and can be fixed. I will post that up as soon as I can.
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
scorpioaddict
Level 5
Level 5

Post by scorpioaddict »

Good job!

There's also some information on it this in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12059
If you have a good VSS, you just need a power supply.

I'd call it an analog solution :-)
blugg
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blugg »

Good stuff....make me one...Ill buy it off you. (please)
Jeff
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

blugg wrote:Good stuff....make me one...Ill buy it off you. (please)
Will do. I will let you know when I get it put together.
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
blugg
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blugg »

That would be quite awesome
Jeff
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Took a looong time to get around to finally doing this. This write-up was a HUGE help fixing my non-op odometer. And, this page as well: https://www.odometergears.com/documenta ... ctions.pdf Thought the wiring was going to be a little tricky, but that's why you salvage old connectors and harnesses so you can cannibalize pins and clips. Took some very tiny female clips to fit on the equally tiny prongs of the arduino.

Getting the circuit board out was a PITA, really tight and worrying about cracking the board trying to flex it enough to make it past the clear frame. Also, annoying to keep the new gears in place while trying to reinstall the board and armature. After a couple tries, though, its pretty easy. Once I found the correct HZ setting, I increased the frequency to 100mph. Six hours later (600+ miles), I had the latest "best estimate" odometer reading I've had to guess for each round of smog testing (been estimating 200 additional miles between smog tests...).

Hmm. Don't know about a sleazy used-car guy turning back the odometer on one of these VDO speedos, but if some hoser was trying to avoid piling up the miles before selling, I guess they could "temporarily" remove the odo/tripmeter ring gear for a couple years. Might be a lot of work, but if you were putting on 30K+ miles a year, and only planned to keep it a couple years more...

Now to figure out why the trunk lock release doesn't work with the door unlocking switch, and then why the rear defrost connection keeps frying.
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

This is one of my "to-do" jobs waiting to happen. I am not overly concerned about removing the entire assembly from the dashboard. Yes, it takes some time, but I did it a few times installing new gear only to see odometer still not working after the re-assembly. Besides broken odometer my speedometer is off mark. It indicates speeds 5-7 miles higher than the actual speed.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

That little gear which sits on the disc and mates with the armature gear likes to wander around while you try to get the circuit board back in, and shaft aligned. I made sure a got a few rotations of the odometer and tripometer wheels before hand, spin easily.

Had to try a couple times and wiggle the odo 10th's gear to make it seat properly. Even then, had no clue if it was actually in place, or if it binding/clamped by the armature gear because the odometer wheel wouldn't turn. Was hoping that was just "stiction" from all the gear interference, and that it wouldn't get stuck, jammed or stripped the first time I hooked it up to a voltage source. Don't know about your speedo error, unless the VSS signal is just a bit out of whack, or starting to fail. Too bad there's no frequency adjuster in the speedo itself, like in the arduino board.
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

Roger that. My speedometer had been off the mark ever since I bought my Scorpio in 92. So, I got used to the lower reading and it doesn't bother me much. The odometer is a different story though. I have a complete spare of the cluster and I will try to install a new gear on it and test it for any mechanical binding. Soon to come. Will keep you posted.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

john keefe wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:06 pm Took a looong time to get around to finally doing this.....
Definitely a pain to change the gear. Also be advised of failed Vss in the transmission which is also common. I made a circuit that adapts the inductive Vss sensor from the late 80's Ford Ranger. Search my earlier posts.
john keefe wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:06 pm Now to figure out why the trunk lock release doesn't work with the door unlocking switch, and then why the rear defrost connection keeps frying.
1) Trunk release - bad relay OR bad contacts to the relay in the fuse box?
2) All Scorpios eventually fry the defrost switch. The solution is to get a good switch and then wire in a relay so the switch does not directly handle the high current to the grid.
Specialization is for Insects
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

brokencase wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:49 am Definitely a pain to change the gear. Also be advised of failed Vss in the transmission which is also common. I made a circuit that adapts the inductive Vss sensor from the late 80's Ford Ranger. Search my earlier posts.
Thanks Brokencase. That'll come in handy in the future, though the VSS is working fine now. Speedo was working fine, so that's the first indicator its mostly likely the gear, and not the VSS nor the stepper-motor.
brokencase wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:49 am 1) Trunk release - bad relay OR bad contacts to the relay in the fuse box?
2) All Scorpios eventually fry the defrost switch. The solution is to get a good switch and then wire in a relay so the switch does not directly handle the high current to the grid.
Voltage checks out fine all the way up to the connection to the solenoid harness (behind the left tail-light). KOEO get 12V, goes to 0 when tripping the door lock. Grounds are good. I've powered the solenoid from that connector, and while I get no action with the trunk latch locked or unlocked, I do get a soft clicking every couple of seconds. I'm assuming now that means the microswitch is working, just not getting the solenoid to kick over?
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Speedo was working fine, so that's the first indicator its mostly likely the gear, and not the VSS nor the stepper-motor.
Speedo working fine or not working at all I believe is unrelated to the odo stepper motor.

Re the trunk latch, did you try locking/unlocking both passenger and driver door locks to see if there's any difference?

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I just want to recommend the following test device...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383840747559

It can generate a PWM output, or a frequency output.
Specialization is for Insects