Ranger timing cover swap

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: does anyone have a good (Ranger) timing cover ?

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Cleat wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:18 pm I used a ranger lower intake manifold that did not have the hose fitting.

I believe you can purchase a 5.8" rubber cap for your nipple as well.
Okay, that makes sense. I'm actually re-gasketing the intake manifold as part of this project, so it would be a nice time to replace the lower manifold with the Ranger part. It could be my justification for a junkyard trip. :sawzall But either way, I'll be fine knowing that I don't require water to flow through there.
Brad
Cleat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cleat »

With it set up the simple way like I did and the ranger, the bypass for coolant flow with the thermostat closed is through the heater core.
I actually prefer this as the heater gets a flush every time you start the car.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Cleat wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:23 pm With it set up the simple way like I did and the ranger, the bypass for coolant flow with the thermostat closed is through the heater core.
I actually prefer this as the heater gets a flush every time you start the car.
Right. And the minimal heat it adds to the cabin shouldn't matter unless maybe you live in Texas.

I was concerned that it might be an issue simply blocking off that nipple, but then when I realized the Ranger doesn't even have that fitting from the factory I became much less concerned. In fact, I found a set of four caps on eBay - just search for "5/8" & 3/4" Water Pump Heater Core Blockoff Caps Plugs- 4pcs (2ea)" - so I'm not going to bother hunting down a Ranger lower at the junkyard. I'll just cap the one I have and call it good.

Since the radiator I have in the car now was a recent replacement I'm planning to stick with that. That means I'll need to plumb some in-line fittings to head over to the expansion tank. I've got some options there. Do you think that small vent line is really needed? I was hoping the existing vent line at the thermostat housing might suffice and I'd just need to plumb a T-fitting down on the lower radiator hose to go to the lower fitting on the tank.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

It's good to actually be installing rather than removing stuff. This was a bit more challenging than expected. I was re-using the oil pan gasket and it didn't want to stay in place while fitting the "new" Ranger cover. Eventually, my fingers covered in Permatex 300 sealant, I finally got it in place and everything snugged down.
Cologne29RangerCover.jpg
Cologne29RangerCover.jpg (442.98 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Ranger timing cover swap

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I figured I should button this thread up now that I've put about 50 miles on the car since completing this project (along with several others). The short answer is that it works fine - I notice no difference in warm-up time and didn't notice any difference in cabin temps. Mind you, I don't have data, I just didn't notice any changes. I'm sure by eliminating the HCV some more heat is introduced into the cabin, but as myself and others have found on the XR, it doesn't seem significant.

I didn't do a hose reduction count, but I'm guessing I reduced the number of hoses by about 5. As mentioned earlier, I didn't bother getting a Ranger lower intake manifold like Cleat did; I just capped off the nipple.

I actually used one less hose than Cleat. Where he Tee'd into that small hose that goes into the upper fitting on the expansion tank I just ran that hose as it was from the factory (no Tee). The only thing I Tee'd into was the lower radiator hose - T-fitting donated by a Crown Vic IIRC. I ran a custom hose/pipe from there to the lower fitting of the expansion tank.

While I had everything apart I ditched the clutch-based fan and install a single low-profile 12" Nippondenso fan from a Honda triggered by a Saab fan switch Tee'd into the upper radiator hose and triggered by a Cadillac waterproof relay. There remains room to put a smaller (10"?) fan on the driver side, but I'd do that more to have a backup fan than to address any cooling issues (at least that's my observation at this point). As covered in a different thread, I upgraded to a Nissan spec' 110A Mitsubishi alternator to support the greater amperage requirements.
Brad
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

I accidentally stumbled upon this old thread.
It shows an excellent remedy for the "J" hose that goes behind the AC compressor.

See Brad's photos in posts on July 8th with hose and July 9th without hose. BAT catalog p 20 ID's it as "J" bypass from water pump to inlet mfld. Brad wrote "I found a set of four caps on eBay - just search for "5/8" & 3/4" Water Pump Heater Core Blockoff Caps Plugs- 4pcs (2ea)". Considering the shape and hose having different ID's at each end, this is practically the only solution when the OEM hose starts leaking. I was able to get a new one when I rebuilt my 2.9 in 2010. I'm willing to label this hose as "unobtainable". Although, Jeff, Russ, Mike or a member might have one stashed somewhere.

I wonder how many Scorpio owners [especially newbes] are aware of this hose. I doubt anyone with a leaking "J" hose would find this post, so I'll start a new thread for the "J" hose.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Bob Weir wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:05 pm I accidentally stumbled upon this old thread.
It shows an excellent remedy for the "J" hose that goes behind the AC compressor.

See Brad's photos in posts on July 8th with hose and July 9th without hose. BAT catalog p 20 ID's it as "J" bypass from water pump to inlet mfld. Brad wrote "I found a set of four caps on eBay - just search for "5/8" & 3/4" Water Pump Heater Core Blockoff Caps Plugs- 4pcs (2ea)". Considering the shape and hose having different ID's at each end, this is practically the only solution when the OEM hose starts leaking. I was able to get a new one when I rebuilt my 2.9 in 2010. I'm willing to label this hose as "unobtainable". Although, Jeff, Russ, Mike or a member might have one stashed somewhere.

I wonder how many Scorpio owners [especially newbes] are aware of this hose. I doubt anyone with a leaking "J" hose would find this post, so I'll start a new thread for the "J" hose.
I only used one of the rubber caps - it's installed on the lower intake manifold hose barb. The Ranger front cover doesn't have the barbs - it's only water outlet is for the directly attached water pump (i.e. no hose needed). If you stayed with the Scorpio intake and front cover you'd need three caps, BUT...

Keep in mind, unless you delete the HCV and run coolant through the heater core continuously (as Cleat and myself have outlined in this thread), you can't reasonably just eliminate the J bypass hose and cap off both ends.
Brad
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Brad, Thanks for update regarding plugging "J" hose. I added it to my "J" Hose post.

http://forum.merkurclub.net/forum/viewt ... 29&t=41428