CV joints/axles the same as XR?

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

CV joints/axles the same as XR?

Post by john keefe »

Silly question(s): Do the Scorpio & XR use the exact same CV joint? The Scorpio axles longer, right? Some sources list them exactly the same, but IIRC STA cross-member is wider for the Scorpio, thus longer shafts...

Mic'd as best I could on the car, and it appears the Scorpio's are 100mm x 87 bolt centerlines, which should be the same as XR, unless the splines are different. But can't find an application or source anywhere specifically for, or compatible with a Scorpio, and no cross-references/interchange info. Not much listed for XR either.

Curiously, the joint is stamped with the same part number as the HD Cosworth CV's (72GG-4635-AA), which are 108mm x 95(?) centerline x 40mm wide. Easy cross-reference to Porsche 930, but obviously don't want to be buying GKS bearings off that same part #. Looking up cross-references on UK sources, they seem to show the larger Cosworth size in that same part # also being used on Granada's & Scorpios.

Thanks!
blugg
Level 7
Level 7

Re: CV joints/axles the same as XR?

Post by blugg »

stub shafts are NOT the same.

half shafts ARE the same

rear control arms are NOT the same.
Jeff
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Thanks Jeff. BTW, the parts you've sent me worked great!
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

blugg wrote:stub shafts are NOT the same.

half shafts ARE the same

rear control arms are NOT the same.
( x 2 ) What Jeff said
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Thanks Jeff & Mike et al.

This is my first Scorpio; it was in great shape, but sat for a few years. Now that its back on the road, 29 year old parts are starting to fail. Like starting from scratch trying to figure out solutions, but now I no longer have all the time in the world to figure it out, or do hours of searching like I used to with the myriad of XR's I've owned.

John