Alternative Replacements for rear shocks?

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Alternative Replacements for rear shocks?

Post by john keefe »

Anybody found, or cross-referenced anywhere a correct aftermarket replacement for the stock Scorpio rear shocks? Nothing in search here.

Just FYI, the eyelets measure 16.5" cntr-cntr when compressed, 27.25" when extended.

I'm working on using 90's Explorer shocks, which can be used with the XR. Unfortunately, the Scorpio is about 1.75" longer, so with them on the car, I'm giving up some droop. While I'm trying to figure out how to extend the upper eyelet on the new shocks, it would be really helpful to know if there's a different option out there, without having to go the QA1 or other for a custom length shock.

TIA

John
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Alternative Replacements for rear shocks?

Post by merkurdriver »

Any reason you don't want to use a replacement Scorpio shock?
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I did a little research on this using KYB shock dimension database online here...
https://www.kyb.com/knowledge-center/sh ... imensions/

Part extended compressed Stroke
Scorpio KG4546 27.56 17.05 6.57 X – E2(12.2×42) E2(12.2×42)

Above KG4546 is for Scorpio but no longer available.

Some closest alternatives from KYB (from a stroke/compressed length point of view) currently available:

KG6415 28.27 17.64 10.63 X X – E2(19×45) E2(19×45)
344401 27.56 16.54 11.02 X X – E2(14.6×42) E2(14.6×42)
KG5194 27.48 17.24 10.24 X X – E2(14.2×43) E2(14.2×43)
KG5196 27.48 17.24 10.24 X X – E2(14.6×42) E2(14.6×42)

These have the same mount type "E2" but different size holes or width of mount.
Best bet is 344401 or KG5196, which would just need a sleeve to shrink the hole down to 12.2 mm.
344401 & KG5196 are for a Dodge Ram pickup I believe. So it may be a little stiffer.

Please note I have not tried this I am just presenting the information. Use at your own risk.
Specialization is for Insects
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

This link has a picture of the of the KYB Scorpio rear shock that is no longer available...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kyb-kg4546

..and this link has a picture of the "still available" KG5196 shock
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kyb-kg5196

Knowing the application we can now head over to RockAuto and see what others options are available...
Here is a low cost option...
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 14&jsn=570
As you can see in that link they also list the specs...which are similar to above.

Let us know how you make out.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Thanks Guys!!!

Mike: Didn't find any "available" replacement shock from the KYB or other on-line dealers, RockAuto doesn't even list them, never mind the large chain parts stores. And, never found info on the stock compression/extension lengths, but went on a hunch which works for an XR replacement.

So far, the Explorer shocks ride well... They're base Gabriels, not heavy duty. Decent match for KYB GR2's on the fronts. But, the shorter extended length gives only about 1" droop from stock ride height, and that's a concern. Not that I plan on doing any Scandinavian forest jumps, but no droop is like a way-too-stiff rear sway bar, lifting the inside tire when you don't expect it.

I'm trying to spare the rest of my budget for an A4ld rebuild, so I'll try to make do with lengthening the upper eyelet using the old shock upper. But, if that doesn't work, then I'll be looking at the options you guys listed.

Thanks again.
Last edited by john keefe on Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

brokencase wrote:Knowing the application we can now head over to RockAuto and see what others options are available...
Here is a low cost option...
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 14&jsn=570
As you can see in that link they also list the specs...which are similar to above.
So, in RockAuto, that's listed under Dodge up to 2010, and RAM from 2012, most models. The Monroe in the link is from a 2012 1500, 5.7L V8 only.

This shock's sleeves, top & bottom are 9/16" I.D., where the Scorpios are 1/8" narrower. Maybe slip in a 1/16" wall sleeve, then ream to fit the stock bolt, or use XR PU bushings. Worst case scenario would be to drill out the car's shock tower & STA holes for a 9/16" bolt. You'd still be limited, though, to only one option (Dodge truck) if you do the latter.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Yes, the only caveat it that they are for a truck. However the valving is usually such that the little bumps are managed and the larger swings are stiffer. Otherwise the truck would feel lousy when the bed is empty. And an empty truck bed is not much different than the rear of a Scorpio.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

The Gabriels I used from an Explorer aren't too harsh, so a truck might not be that bad. Besides, Dodge trucks aren't really meant to haul anything, so they're probably not that heavy duty to begin with... :D
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

OK... the shocks work fine, but can definitely feel the reduced droop travel, especially over ruts and sweepers. By ruts, I mean our highly taxed CA-maintained roads, LOL. :( Needed to make the Gabriels at least 2" longer; still had the original Scorpio shocks, and the stock eyelet bushings were in fine shape.

So, I cut off the cover sleeve on the originals & ground back what was left of that top under the eyelet. Took the Gabriels out, laid them even at the bottom beside the originals, then marked the plunge rod on the originals even with the bottom of the Gabriels' eyelet (i.e., where the "extension" of the rod would sit on the inside-bottom of the Gabriels eyelet arc). Cut the original rods at that point, and dressed the rod ends on a grinder to mimic the inside arc on the bottom of the Gabriel eyelet.

Then, drilled a hole dead-center into the top of the Gabriel eyelet for the diameter of the stock plunge rod. Slipped the plunge rod through the hole until it bottomed on the Gabriels eyelet bottom, where that eyelet is welded to its rod. Dressed/ground everything down for clean surfaces to weld, welded the extension to the Gabriel eyelet on top, and at the bottom. Kinda' Looks like three, round chain links in profile.

Hammer tested, painted & reinstalled the shocks. Much better. Big difference over uneven surfaces, and makes the rear seem a better match for the KYB struts. They are for an Explorer, though, so I don't know if they'd be too much for stock front struts, as I never got to drive the car with decent F/R dampers...

Altogether, the shocks (Gabriel Guardians) set me back about $44, including tax. Hope that helps somebody.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Just replaced Scorpio shocks. Emptying trunk of accumulated stuff, disconnecting additional rear speakers, removing side panels carefully to not damage hold down pins or panels themselves and reinstalling foregoing took longer than unmounting old shocks and installing new shocks (so much easier to replace shocks on XRs).

YMMV
Attachments
20180315_142843-459x816.jpg
20180315_142843-459x816.jpg (66.72 KiB) Viewed 10035 times
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Hey Ed,
What front and rears are those? Replacement OEM in the rears?
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

New are Sachs fronts (not in pic) and Monroe rears. Both Euro-sourced.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Not mentioned in John's list above is KYB shock 344415 (27.16" - 16.14") for the 2004 - 2008 F-150. After doing a little research, the weird thing is that initially Ford spec'd a 25" shock for this application, but later changed it to 27" without any change in the mounting distances. I confirmed this when I removed an original one at the junkyard off a 2004 F-150, and found it to be 25". I was going to test a junkyard pair first, but left that one behind in the bed once I had measured it. FWIW, they're really easy to remove - bolt-head is 15mm and the nut 18mm.

Just figured I'd throw the data-point out there in case anyone else wants to try these. Like John, I'm also running Explorer shocks on the Scorpio, but with my plan to raise the rear ride-height a bit, I may be running out of drop.
Brad
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fresh Air Inspector »

Hello Brad,

Additional information is appreciated!

Just curious if you or anyone out there has compared the 'damping' rate of the KYB 344415 to that of the Scorpio? My assumption would be that the KYB will be somewhat stiffer as it is designed for a 1/2 ton truck. This may not necessarily be a bad thing.

Hopefully someone has some insight.
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Can't give a spec comparison of the Gabriels vs. KYB's. But, I'm guessing the anticipated loading for the Explorer (Gabriel's) and F150 were pretty similar, with the former having the "constant" load of the additional body panels, seats, and passenger(s) roughly equal to the average loads people would carry in an 8' truck bed. I don't think there's a luxury, two-stage range of shocks for most trucks (softer no-load vs. hard full-load), unless its custom magnetic shocks.

After a couple years with the setup, I actually now prefer the firmness of the truck rear shocks with the KYB fronts. Less rear roll, which is one of the cures for the toe-in/out weakness of a STA suspension. Not a plushy ride, especially at first, but it does track very nicely in any turn, reminding of a well-setup XR. Goes and does where you point it without the usual hint of the rear wanting to add to the turn. And, definitely is a plus with golf clubs and groceries in the back.

Still haven't resolved the front-end clunking issue (XR4Ti KYB's with inserts to fit the larger Scorpio hubs).