Liftgate Switch?

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Liftgate Switch?

Post by john keefe »

TIA... So, I take it some of these came with a liftgate switch ("on the floor console," per the EVTM) and some did not? I don't have an owners manual (but do have the shop & evtm). Where is it, or would it be if I had one? Anybody rewired to install one?
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Liftgate Switch?

Post by milehighXR »

Center console IIRC. They are not supposed to work with the engine running for some reason. It can be bypassed easily enough. The wiring should be in the car for it. You'll probably need a pigtail for the last foot or so to the switch location in the console.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

I must have the "XL" 1988 model... no heated seats, and more than a few factory-blanks on the dash and center console. When I take the console out to re-glue the trim, I'll look for a connector, or terminated wires.
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

milehighXR wrote:Center console IIRC. They are not supposed to work with the engine running for some reason. It can be bypassed easily enough. The wiring should be in the car for it. You'll probably need a pigtail for the last foot or so to the switch location in the console.
Johny,
I never saw any extra wires in the center console. I read numerous references to bypassing the lift gate lockout while running, but never found a "how to do". Inquiring minds want to know... Please tell us...
How u been? :cheers
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Saul Rivkin did the mod; he opened the hatch relay and isolated the contact that shuts off power to the hatch while the ignition switch is in Run position.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

OK. So, what does the switch look like, and where is it supposed to be factory installed? I only have two blanks in the seat/center console, and I presumed those were for heated seat switches.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

john keefe wrote:OK. So, what does the switch look like, and where is it supposed to be factory installed? I only have two blanks in the seat/center console, and I presumed those were for heated seat switches.
The 2 rectangle shaped blanks are where the heated seat switches go
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

So, where did the switch sit?
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

" ("on the floor console," per the EVTM) "

I don't see that in my EVTM. I don't think there were any Scorpios with a center console hatch pop button.

The "switch" in the circuit shown is the push button on the hatch itself.

But you could add a console switch if you wish.

However it is better to install a remote start/door lock kit with trunk option.
You then just run a wire to the lift gate relay to the remote receiver unit, via a hole through the firewall.
I just solder tacked the wire directly to the top edge of the relay blade so it could still plug in to its socket.

You can then pop the hatch from the remote. This is what I have done.
Stay away from the cheap bulldog remote units. The one that worked well for me was an AVITAL unit.

The fact that the hatch does not open with the engine running has never been an issue for me.
Specialization is for Insects
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Its not so much needing a switch itself... Its that even when not running and doors unlocked, I still need to use the key to unlock the trunk. Thinking about it at the moment, I guess its a solenoid issue. But, it'd be nice to just be able to open the trunk to put in stuff w/o fumbling for the key.

I like the remote idea... if I can just find a locksmith around here who will cut Tibbe keys.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

What's cutting the tibbe key got to do with anything?

This looks like the remote unit I installed....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avital-Avistart ... SwSlBYz9Yo

Its a big job. You are on the ground by the driver's door soldering wires all day.
The tough part was finding and soldering to the two lock and unlock wires behind the kick panel.

The Bull Dog units I tried previously were sensitive to picking up electrical noise and the cpus would loose their minds in an often scary manner.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

john keefe wrote:Its not so much needing a switch itself... Its that even when not running and doors unlocked, I still need to use the key to unlock the trunk. Thinking about it at the moment, I guess its a solenoid issue. But, it'd be nice to just be able to open the trunk to put in stuff w/o fumbling for the key..
The hatch opens without the key on my Scorpio with engine off and doors unlocked (and did on my previous Scorpio).

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

brokencase wrote:What's cutting the tibbe key got to do with anything?
Well, I've only got one key, and while I've been "Merkur" lucky with things going well so far, its always in the back of my mind that I'm gonna' lose the key, or wear something in the locks, and that'll be that... Plus, if I do your remote route, it would help to have a backup unit in case I lose the one, hence the need for a second key to pair with the spare remote.

Ehh... bigger topic is occasionally I find the tailgate will be unlocked, and at other times not. Doesn't matter what sequence of events seem to be in effect; either its unlocked, or it needs the key.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

You can get a ford transit tibbe blank on ebay. You just need to find someone to cut the key for you.
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

If you're lucky, you can contact Rotunda USA, give them your car's serial number and they make you a key ≈ $25.oo + $6 S+H.

Rotunda in USA
Ph 313-865-5000
Ext. 3309 - Cindy
Ext. 3310 - Val
If out, they will call you back.

Rotunda in Canada
Ph 800-768-8632

If not, try National Lock Service in So San Francisco
http://www.michaelhyde.com/Fast-Code-Ke ... _1069.html

If not,
Jaguar and new Ford Transit [truck] are suspect of using same key blank. However, the key cutting machine is very expensive, so few dealers have them.

I have a diagram and instructions of how to read the notches on existing key and instructions how to convert to a key code. The code is stamped into the lock cylinder.

For more info, go to Ken Kizer’s website
http://www.aphenos.net/scorpio.htm