Liftgate Switch?

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Liftgate Switch?

Post by merkurdriver »

I'm not sure why we're off talking about Scorpio key blanks, but I have them in tibbe form and also the early 88 chubb form if needed. The early 88 blanks are the tough ones to find but I have a couple genuine Ford ones on the shelf.
Back to the imaginary center console switch discussion... :)
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

merkurdriver wrote:... Back to the imaginary center console switch discussion... :)
Ha! OK, just being a dutiful Merkur owner and reading the damn manual to figure out why it sometimes needs a key, sometimes doesn't. States specifically a tailgate switch on the floor console (or such).

I presume its a button, like the fuel door release, or rear lockout. You know, like most modern cars have to unlock the trunk from inside the cabin. If its imaginary, or no one's ever seen a Scorpio with it, or if it hardly ever made it over here in production (like the leave catcher cowling below the windshield), then OK. If its not imaginary, but it can be gotten, or I can cobble up my own to fit in one of the center console blanks, that would be nice, don't ya think?

Already have a Tibbe blank, just been trying to get a duplicate. Thanks Bob on the info. Grew up in SF, and then SSF. If y'all found it easier to ditch the Tibbe and transplant XR blade-type keys, then I'll look at that route.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

merkurdriver wrote:I'm not sure why we're off talking about Scorpio key blanks... :)
I think they call it lateral thinking, or progressive cognitive stringing. See, I'm having an issue with my tailgate and the key being needed sometimes, sometimes not. And, the manual describes an actual tailgate switch, which would be nice instead of having to get the key out of my pocket all the time. And, oh yeah, speaking of keys, I need to find someone out here to cut my Tibbe spare.

See how that happens? Or did I screw up by not compartmentalizing and making it two different topics of discussion? :D
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Perhaps the manual is referring to the micro switch in the tailgate latch? I've never seen a center console tailgate switch on any european cars and I've personally owned a 1989 RHD Scorpio here from the UK that was fully optioned...and no center console switch for the tailgate.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Thanks Mike. That might be it? You're the second person to ask if its the micro-switch, but I didn't think the manual was referring to the tailgate latch itself. I'll look at the manual again.
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Mike wrote
"I'm not sure why we're off talking about Scorpio key blanks"
--- because that what we do here --- and the "Search" capabilities are very good in the forums --- you're suck a stickler for the rules --- :roll:

As an active post drifting into duplicate keys and inquiry regarding tailgate "no open when running", I chose to give a suggestion for duplicating keys.

I used a lock [from a different Merkur] for the tailgate. I never could find a definitive explanation of how to bypass the "no open while eng running" PIA.

My Scorpio is in suspended animation, so I haven't needed any parts lately. Enjoy your summer.

Hope to see you at a future Carlisle. :cheers
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Just reread my '88's Owner's Manual: the section describing lift gate operation has no reference of any kind, direct or indirect, to a lift gate switch.

If your manual does, take a pic of it and link to it here.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Ed Lijewski wrote:Just reread my '88's Owner's Manual: the section describing lift gate operation has no reference of any kind, direct or indirect, to a lift gate switch.

If your manual does, take a pic of it and link to it here.
Sorry, not the shop manual, but it is in my 1988 EVTM, showing electrical diagram, and the liftgate release switch. I don't have means to photo & post at the moment.

States the location of the switch is "on the floor console," and describes depressing the switch to release the tailgate, and then explains the circuit functioning upon release. Based on the shop manual, the "floor console" is the surround for the shifter, tunnel, window switches, etc.. I thought that was a "center arm console," but whatever...

If this is an imaginary switch, and my EVTM has it wrong, or printed prior to final factory/dealer prep models delivered in the US, it would still be a nice feature.
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Per a note scribbled on my 89 EVTM, p123, the" Liftgate Lock Switch" in an "ajar" sensor, sending a signal to the Graphic Display. p83 shows the "Liftgate Ajar Sensor", but I couldn't find the relevant wires to p123. Might have to do with me having enough Margaritas today. Obviously, "Switch" vs "Sensor", but I never heard of anyone having a driver operable devise to affect the liftgate.

Apparently, Helm, Ford or whoever, made changes from 88 to 89 liftgate circuit. I also have an 88 "Car Vacuum & Wiring Diagrams" for the Scorpio. But tonight my eyes are not able to focus and trace the lines across the booklet that is 17" deep by 40" wide.

Let us know how you modified your Scorpio to allow opening the liftgate while the engine is running.
Attachments
Liftgate Release.jpeg
Liftgate Release.jpeg (982.98 KiB) Viewed 5944 times
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Sorry, can't upload to any photo-compatible group so you can see my scan, but mine is on pg. 144 of my EVTM. Similar circuit shown, but clearly shows "Liftgate Switch" in place of Bob's "Liftgate Lock Switch," and "Liftgate Switch on floor console," under Component Location.

So, instead of rectifying the error with the circuit, they just gave it another name? Blame it on Helm or Ford. Based on the fact that no one else has ever seen one, I guess it is imaginary (thanks Mike). Still, its a good idea.

Thanks to Bob's circuit, I realize I don't have a "liftgate ajar" warning, unless its a buzzer or such which I haven't heard yet. If its on a graphic display like the XR, I don't have one of those in my Scorpio. Got the mileage/economy lie-o-meter, though. So, I guess I have a semi-bare bones Scorpio with leather seats?

BTW, it did the flip-flop again today where it lets you open the liftgate w/o a key a few times, but now you need to use the key. Nothing changed in my procedures... Go figure. But, I'll take a few Merkur gremlins, though, if it continues to drive this nicely.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

This might explain something... my EVTM published date is 3/'87. Scorpios were sold as 1988 models starting in May 1987, so its definitely an early manual published in time to get to dealers before the cars went on sale. Probably data collected many, many months ahead of actual Federalization from the UK. So, maybe there were some proposed US luxury features which never made it into final production/assembly over here.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Bob Weir wrote:Mike wrote
"I'm not sure why we're off talking about Scorpio key blanks"
--- because that what we do here --- and the "Search" capabilities are very good in the forums --- you're suck a stickler for the rules --- :roll:
I would never suck a stickler for the rules. :lol:

Our North American Scorpios are the some of the most optioned out 1987MY-1989MY Scorpios. Only US / Canada Scorpios have the electronic automatic temperature control thing, the rest of the entire world ended up with a traditional hot / cold slider for the temp control and a run of the mill LOW/MEDUIM/HIGH fan switch. Maybe the tailgate switch idea sounded good at first, but was quickly dropped. Hence the difference in the early and late EVTMs. Have you looked under the center console to see if anything interesting is under there? I sort of want to pull the center console out of a parts car out back and see whats what.
Last edited by merkurdriver on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

john keefe wrote: If its on a graphic display like the XR, I don't have one of those in my Scorpio. Got the mileage/economy lie-o-meter, though. So, I guess I have a semi-bare bones Scorpio with leather seats?
This is the display

I know the doors light up red when opened and the car is on, I believe the outline of the tailgate might light up red if its not closed and the car is on.
...and since we are talking about missing switches and features, that blank in the picture under the rear defroster switch is for the heated windshield switch. Would have been nice if N.A. cars had that feature!
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Oh... THAT display. :shock: I was picturing a separate unit like an XR. I've only seen the brake/tail light graphics on.

Haven't lifted the center console, but I'm curious if there just might be a spare connector in there now.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

john keefe wrote: Got the mileage/economy lie-o-meter, though. So, I guess I have a semi-bare bones Scorpio with leather seats?
The opposite really, leather seats and the fuel computer are the "touring package". If your car is also an automatic and has heated seats then it is a fully optioned Scorpio.