Helloooo! My car wont start.

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Chocolaterita

Helloooo! My car wont start.

Post by Chocolaterita »

Hello! I own a Merkur Scorpio and I am not car savvy. I love my Scorpio...its my baby and it has been sitting in the Michigan winter while I drive my other car. I periodically go out and start her, but she doesn't want to start, all I hear is a ticking noise. I just bought a new battery a month ago. The battery light would come on whenever I would start it and go off when I would drive it around, though. Its only been snowing for about a month, now. I haven't driven it for a month. Alternator?
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Helloooo! My car wont start.

Post by merkurdriver »

If you have not driven it in a month and its winter in Detroit then the battery is probably too weak to start in the cold. A month is kind of a long time to sit out un-used in the frigid winter...

However, if the battery charging light always came on (even with the brand new battery) then it could be the alternator, or the voltage regulator in the alternator...or battery cables just needing cleaned, retightened, etc.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

After you do all of Mikes suggestions buy a battery tender. I have never been able to leave a Scorpio for more than 2 weeks without driving it and still have the battery full of juice.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
Chocolaterita

Post by Chocolaterita »

merkurdriver wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:09 am If you have not driven it in a month and its winter in Detroit then the battery is probably too weak to start in the cold. A month is kind of a long time to sit out un-used in the frigid winter...

However, if the battery charging light always came on (even with the brand new battery) then it could be the alternator, or the voltage regulator in the alternator...or battery cables just needing cleaned, retightened, etc.
Thanks, Mike!!
Chocolaterita

Post by Chocolaterita »

milehighXR wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:08 pm After you do all of Mikes suggestions buy a battery tender. I have never been able to leave a Scorpio for more than 2 weeks without driving it and still have the battery full of juice.
Thanks, Johnny!!!
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Cheap way to see if your alternator is charging enough:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2161792450.

Walmart has a fine automatic battery maintainer (Battery Tender is a brand) made by Schumacher, a leading battery charger company, for around $20.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!