I can't grasp the economics of this...

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

I can't grasp the economics of this...

Post by brokencase »

There are more Dorman drive shaft assemblies up on ebay right now then there are Scorpios on the road.
Same thing with slotted brake kits... you almost can't count how many of these there are on ebay for Scorpios.
Stands to reason that at some point the sellers would realize these items are not ever going to move.

If there is abundant supply and little demand the inevitable must happen...Right?
Why doesn't that happen then?

Here is another mystery...
What the heck is going on with items like this...
https://tinyurl.com/y8wpq5y6
Here we have a small brass hose union going for over a grand.

I don't get it...
Specialization is for Insects
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: I can't grasp the economics of this...

Post by merkurdriver »

Those Scorpio Dorman driveshaft and slotted brake kits probably have multiple sellers who drop ship from the same warehouse. There might be 10 driveshafts in the warehouse, but thousands of companies have access to that warehouse inventory, so you have hundreds of people listing the same physical inventory. (All hoping you will buy it from them...or even find them in the waist high results)

The $1,000 brass hose union is most likely someones place holder for a part they are out of stock on - raise the price crazy high so no one will buy it when you're out of stock, then once its back in stock put the regular price back in place.
I do this sometimes on ebay myself, I typically use $999.99 so I can easily spot it once I have the part back in stock and the correct price needs to be put back in place.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Your probably right about the driveshafts, but I'm not so sure about the brake rotors.
There is quite of variety. Plain, holes, slots, slots and holes, etc...
Then there are the coatings/colors, plain, gold, black, special plating, etcs...
Then I see at least several brands, each offering their own variants of above.

By the time you work out all the permutations you find that there are many more rotors
than there are driveable Scorpios.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

My assumption has always been parts that are readily available for Merkurs are used on other vehicles.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

If there is another vehicle that shares the same rotors as the Scorpio's then I'd like to know what it is.
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

merkurdriver wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:16 amThe $1,000 brass hose union is most likely someones place holder for a part they are out of stock on - raise the price crazy high so no one will buy it when you're out of stock, then once its back in stock put the regular price back in place.
I do this sometimes on ebay myself, I typically use $999.99 so I can easily spot it once I have the part back in stock and the correct price needs to be put back in place.
That's what the guy who sells the Merkur watches does now. When he has some, regular price. When he doesn't, $1999.
Saves creating a new auction or getting orders and having upset people waiting for months, which is what happened before he figured out this trick.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers