Manual sunroof conversion

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Manual sunroof conversion

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:53 pm

Has anyone converted the power sunroof to manual operation, using the XR crank handle. My understanding is that the spline pattern is the same, so it shouldn't be that difficult. Remove motor, drill hole in center of trim, install crank handle, done?
Brad

merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Manual sunroof conversion

Post by merkurdriver » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:01 am

Yes / No / sort of. I've seen the Scorpio power stuff stuck in an XR, so rational thought leads me to believe the manual XR stuff would transfer over to the Scorpio in a similar manner. The glass / tracks / etc. are the same between both cars, but its the length of the splined gear thats different.

It really could be as simple as your thinking - remove the motor, drill a hole in the cover and attach an XR crank handle.
If it turns out to be not that simple, have no fear as many European Scorpios had a manual crank roof so the parts are out there and there is even a cover that allows the crank handle to fold up into the console just like on the XR.

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:34 am

Yea, I know people have put the motorized Scorpio stuff in the XR, so I too was thinking it shouldn't be too tough to go in the opposite direction. Along the same lines, I would consider going with the manually operated HVAC from a Euro car, but that's clearly a bigger project. I know Dimitri was considering it at one point but I'm pretty sure he never got it done.
Brad

ford.scorpio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ford.scorpio » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:46 am

Only Ghia versions had electric sunroof; CL/GL had hand cranks.
A man meets another addict and says "oh yeah, I have a Merkur too!" and the other man says "no way!!!!! ............how many?"

Bob Weir
Membership Coordinator

Post by Bob Weir » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:38 am

I've used a xr crank to adjust sunroof in my Scorpio. I removed the motor and track assembly for a thorough cleaning and lube. It takes a bit of effort to move the sunroof with the crank. I don't remember anyone mentioning having sunroof "motor" problems.
Why do you want to delete motor?

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:58 am

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:34 am
Along the same lines, I would consider going with the manually operated HVAC from a Euro car, but that's clearly a bigger project. I know Dimitri was considering it at one point but I'm pretty sure he never got it done.
XR box & cable controls will go right in there. Just need the slider lever and fan speed switch knob from another continent. . . and then the work of wiring it up.

dimswits
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dimswits » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:05 am

merkurdriver wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:58 am
DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:34 am
Along the same lines, I would consider going with the manually operated HVAC from a Euro car, but that's clearly a bigger project. I know Dimitri was considering it at one point but I'm pretty sure he never got it done.
XR box & cable controls will go right in there. Just need the slider lever and fan speed switch knob from another continent. . . and then the work of wiring it up.
That's exactly the list of parts I have assembled (except that I have actual Scorpio slider assemblies), and as Brad says, haven't yet gotten around to. The sliders are quite different cosmetically from the XR.
Dimitri in NYC
88 Scorpio 2.5 Turbo
89 Scorpio 4.6 DOHC
02 E46 330Ci
17 MKC

dimswits
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dimswits » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:08 am

Bob Weir wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:38 am
I've used a xr crank to adjust sunroof in my Scorpio. I removed the motor and track assembly for a thorough cleaning and lube. It takes a bit of effort to move the sunroof with the crank. I don't remember anyone mentioning having sunroof "motor" problems.
Why do you want to delete motor?
Yeah, what Bob said. If the sunroof is slow, use an XR handle to manipulate it so you can thoroughly clean and lube. If it's stuck you are going to have to soak it or trash it.

If I remember right (I may be wrong here) the XR tracks are identical, will bolt into the scorpio, and the motor will bolt on.
Dimitri in NYC
88 Scorpio 2.5 Turbo
89 Scorpio 4.6 DOHC
02 E46 330Ci
17 MKC

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:08 pm

The sunroof is a little slow and sometimes needs help getting into place. So maybe a good cleaning and re-lube is a better first attempt, but I do like the idea of manual operation regardless.
Brad

DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese » Tue May 08, 2018 12:24 pm

The only difference is the spindle gear. I've been wanting to convert my XR to a power moonroof, but am still trying to find a good tray and replace the entire unit rather than just the gear.

I imagine the easiest solution going the other way would be the opposite. Grab an XR tray and put it in the Scorpio. You'd also need to replace the overhead console.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?