Manual sunroof conversion

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Manual sunroof conversion

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Has anyone converted the power sunroof to manual operation, using the XR crank handle. My understanding is that the spline pattern is the same, so it shouldn't be that difficult. Remove motor, drill hole in center of trim, install crank handle, done?
Brad
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Manual sunroof conversion

Post by merkurdriver »

Yes / No / sort of. I've seen the Scorpio power stuff stuck in an XR, so rational thought leads me to believe the manual XR stuff would transfer over to the Scorpio in a similar manner. The glass / tracks / etc. are the same between both cars, but its the length of the splined gear thats different.

It really could be as simple as your thinking - remove the motor, drill a hole in the cover and attach an XR crank handle.
If it turns out to be not that simple, have no fear as many European Scorpios had a manual crank roof so the parts are out there and there is even a cover that allows the crank handle to fold up into the console just like on the XR.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Yea, I know people have put the motorized Scorpio stuff in the XR, so I too was thinking it shouldn't be too tough to go in the opposite direction. Along the same lines, I would consider going with the manually operated HVAC from a Euro car, but that's clearly a bigger project. I know Dimitri was considering it at one point but I'm pretty sure he never got it done.
Brad
ford.scorpio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ford.scorpio »

Only Ghia versions had electric sunroof; CL/GL had hand cranks.
A man meets another addict and says "oh yeah, I have a Merkur too!" and the other man says "no way!!!!! ............how many?"
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

I've used a xr crank to adjust sunroof in my Scorpio. I removed the motor and track assembly for a thorough cleaning and lube. It takes a bit of effort to move the sunroof with the crank. I don't remember anyone mentioning having sunroof "motor" problems.
Why do you want to delete motor?
dimswits
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dimswits »

Bob Weir wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:38 am I've used a xr crank to adjust sunroof in my Scorpio. I removed the motor and track assembly for a thorough cleaning and lube. It takes a bit of effort to move the sunroof with the crank. I don't remember anyone mentioning having sunroof "motor" problems.
Why do you want to delete motor?
Yeah, what Bob said. If the sunroof is slow, use an XR handle to manipulate it so you can thoroughly clean and lube. If it's stuck you are going to have to soak it or trash it.

If I remember right (I may be wrong here) the XR tracks are identical, will bolt into the scorpio, and the motor will bolt on.
Dimitri in NYC
88 Scorpio 2.5 Turbo
89 Scorpio 4.6 DOHC
02 E46 330Ci
17 MKC
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

The sunroof is a little slow and sometimes needs help getting into place. So maybe a good cleaning and re-lube is a better first attempt, but I do like the idea of manual operation regardless.
Brad
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

The only difference is the spindle gear. I've been wanting to convert my XR to a power moonroof, but am still trying to find a good tray and replace the entire unit rather than just the gear.

I imagine the easiest solution going the other way would be the opposite. Grab an XR tray and put it in the Scorpio. You'd also need to replace the overhead console.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Some more details on this. I have removed track assemblies from both a Scorpio (motorized) and XR (manual crank). They are identical with one exception. The splined shaft is a bit shorter on the Scorpio version vs. the XR4Ti. (pic below) The piece that houses the splined shaft appears to be riveted in place, so R&R isn't cake.

The question I have is this.... On the (Euro only) manually operated sunroof, is the long or short splined shaft used? My ultimate plan is to get the overhead plastic trim piece from Europe somewhere, but so far I haven't been able to track one down.
MerkurSunroofSpline.JPG
MerkurSunroofSpline.JPG (991.54 KiB) Viewed 9189 times
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Tried mounting the sunroof assembly from a XR into the Scorpio. It sorta fit, but not quite. There's a couple minor differences, mostly notably the front assembly which won't allow the XR assembly to fully get down in place in the Scorpio. So the Scorpio assembly went back in, at the moment un-powered. I've got a spare motor, so I may try that one instead for now.

That said, I've not fully given up on having a manually operated sunroof in the Scorpio. If it turns out that the track assembly is the same between power and manual Scorpios, I'll still be on the lookout for a plastic trim console and crank from a Euro Scorpio.
Brad
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

To each his own, call me crazy, etc; but I'm pretty sure that whilst furiously cranking open my sunroof, driving, shifting, and so forth, I've never said to myself, "Gee, I'm sure glad I don't have to just push a button for this!" :dunno
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

I replaced the power switch [no light] with an illuminated window switch. Now much easier to find the switch at night.
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

You might want to check out MKI(94-00) ford Mondeo sunroof covers/hardware. Looks pretty similar I think

http://www.mirez.co.uk/Sunroof.htm
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

cmouta wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:35 pm You might want to check out MKI(94-00) ford Mondeo sunroof covers/hardware. Looks pretty similar I think
http://www.mirez.co.uk/Sunroof.htm
Similar but different.

The urgency of this project backed off a bit tonight when I got a "new" sunroof motor donated to our cause. On closer inspection I could see that the original had been repaired, and not well. I suspect there was a voltage drop, causing a very lazy motor. The new one moves the glass quickly and it doesn't get hung up anywhere.
Brad