Solar 4XS Tires

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Solar 4XS Tires

Post by brokencase »

When I bought my Scorpio back at the end of 2015 it came with a low mileage set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires.
They had plenty of tread left but they are 9 years old. They were dry rotting. Cracks in the sidewall.

Somehow I got lucky and I was able to get these tires from Walmart..for $37 each.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Solar-4XS-20 ... /237145278

So total cost was $167 for a set. No shipping, just drop shipped to my local Walmart.

I didn't trust the Walmart Auto center folks. Installed myself using these from Harbor Freight..
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotiv ... 62317.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/portable- ... 39741.html

Pulled all the old weights off. Cleaned the stuck rubber off the rims with a wire brush on a die grinder (wear safety glasses!).
Installed the new tires with the yellow circle mark aligned to the valve.
Threw them on the static balancer and they were all dead center on the bubble level.

Took it for a test drive up to 65 on the closest four lane road near me. No vibration.

These tires are well reviewed (check the web and Walmart reviews). I thought the Michelin MXV4s were pretty good tires.
These feel better. Just as quite. Look nicer. UTQG code is 400 AA H speed rated. Probably a softer compound and won't last as long.
But I am OK with that. I put around 5k a year on my Scorpio.

I think $167 is the lowest I've ever got away with for a new set of tires.

PS. I see that they are now out of stock at Walmart and the price is back up to $75 ea.
You can get a set of 4 off of ebay for ~$200 with free shipping.
Specialization is for Insects
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: Solar 4XS Tires

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I installed new Michelin Primacys on my Scorpio. Loved them; price not as much. But they were trouble free. Replaced them with Premiers (Michelin name change for sane top line tire) ~2 years ago for the same reason. Also had Michelin MXVs on both of my XRs; 2 years ago installed new Premiers on one XR. I love how the Premiers drive and handle, especuslly on the XR. May check out the Solars next tire change.

Thanks.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
morlynon

Post by morlynon »

Interesting. I'm not familiar with Solar tires. I may consider them for my next set of tires. I run Michelin tires on my Scorpio and couldn't be happier. The only negative I can say is the price.
Merkurfast
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Merkurfast »

You get what you pay for. I bought a Scorpio a couple years ago that had some of these tires, but replaced them right away.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I normally agree with "You get what you pay for".

But in this case I think I got more than what I paid for. The ride/handling definitely feels better than the Michelin's I had previously.
It's not just me. There are a lot of good reviews on these tires.
Merkurfast
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Merkurfast »

Interesting. I replaced mine because they were worn out. I replaced mine with Discount Tire's , aka Tire Rack, Michelin Defenders. I payed considerably more than what you did!
Merkurfast
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Merkurfast »

Quickly searched reviews on these Solar 4xs. Seem pretty good.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

We've had a lot of rain recently and I find that wet grip is excellent. They are probably a softer compound to achieve the good grip. So they might not last long. But I'm OK with that...I don't put more that 6k a year on the car.
Heizen

Post by Heizen »

They are quality and affordable at the same time, you can’t go wrong with the purchase of these tires. The reviews by buyers who have used the tires for a while are fantastic. This Tire has revolutionized the tire industry.

It has had saved those who go for long distances in unpredictable roads as it can be used in different seasons, having desirable features it grips firmly on the road, and besides, it cut on fuel consumption. Many are opting for this Tire because of how the manufacturers have designed it. They are solving almost all the challenges that drivers experience with other standard tires. If you are looking for a desirable tire that will last for long and make you feel the worth of your money, then go for Solar 4XS tires.