Replacement relays

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
TaurusSHO_Scorpio

Replacement relays

Post by TaurusSHO_Scorpio »

The car that I've got is a 1988 Merkur Scorpio which has been running well aside from a few electrical issues. Feeling ambitions, I decided to troubleshoot the radio since that is a relatively simple system. Upon opening it up I found that a previous owner had fiddled with a pair of fuses in the main fuse/relay box resulting in one of the fuses shorting out and melting a hole through 2-3 of the main relays and causing burns on 3 more relays.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LB8uvGp6LZugt7xD8

Rockauto, Napa, and O'Reilly's offer no information of other vehicles that shared the same relays, and don't carry anything compatible aside from generic starter relays...

Have any of you had to replace the relays before?
1994 Ford Taurus SHO - blue
1988 Merkur Scorpio - red
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Replacement relays

Post by merkurdriver »

I have good used Scorpio relays available but nothing new. Just let me know the colors / part # stamping on them. For the fastest response you can email me directly at merkurdriver@gmail.com
TaurusSHO_Scorpio

Post by TaurusSHO_Scorpio »

I was curious and ended up taking apart the burnt relay and then carefully took apart the replacement one that I got from you Mike so that I could compare them and see which parts had failed.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Cdl ... sp=sharing

I might try replacing the capacitors on the burnt relay, not sure what I'd use for a cover since I tore the burnt one apart...
1994 Ford Taurus SHO - blue
1988 Merkur Scorpio - red
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Welcome to the club.

The previous owner definitely didn't know what they were doing with the Scorpio electricals. God only knows what they were thinking when they butchered your fuse/relay box and what other electricals they butchered. Scorpios rarely have electrical issues. Because I'm on vacation, I can't help you because I don't have access to my manuals. Used relays and the entire fuse/relay block are readily available from our members and traditional suppliers [see sponsors at top of every page]. Place a "want to buy" aka "WTB" in the Scorpio classified section.

You should seriously consider buying the Electrical & Vacuum and Workshop manuals. 88 & 89 persons are virtually identical

Email me your postal address and phone # and I'll send you more info about the Merkur Club of America aka "MCA" and links. It will also include instructions to post images directly in your posts without having to use a hosting server such as Google Photos.

Bob Weir
MCA Membership Coordinator
BWeir4u@rcn.com
membership@merkurclub.com

PS Are you a member of the TaurusClub.com?
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I humbly disagree with "Scorpios rarely have electrical issues".
Specialization is for Insects
ford.scorpio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ford.scorpio »

Don't waste your time unless you are retired and nothing better to do........

Pop in the relay from Mike and call it a day.

If you need whole fuse box or entire Scorpio wiring harness lmk
A man meets another addict and says "oh yeah, I have a Merkur too!" and the other man says "no way!!!!! ............how many?"