Manual HVAC Control Conversion

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
merkurdriver
Level 8

Manual HVAC Control Conversion

Post by merkurdriver »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:34 am Along the same lines, I would consider going with the manually operated HVAC from a Euro car, but that's clearly a bigger project. I know Dimitri was considering it at one point but I'm pretty sure he never got it done.
XR box & cable controls will go right in there. Just need the slider lever and fan speed switch knob from another continent. . . and then the work of wiring it up.
dimswits
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Manual sunroof conversion

Post by dimswits »

merkurdriver wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:58 am
DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:34 am Along the same lines, I would consider going with the manually operated HVAC from a Euro car, but that's clearly a bigger project. I know Dimitri was considering it at one point but I'm pretty sure he never got it done.
XR box & cable controls will go right in there. Just need the slider lever and fan speed switch knob from another continent. . . and then the work of wiring it up.
That's exactly the list of parts I have assembled (except that I have actual Scorpio slider assemblies), and as Brad says, haven't yet gotten around to. The sliders are quite different cosmetically from the XR.
Dimitri in NYC
88 Scorpio 2.5 Turbo
89 Scorpio 4.6 DOHC
02 E46 330Ci
17 MKC
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Manual HVAC Control Conversion

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I split this off into it's own thread as it should be. Been thinking about this one some more. As far as the Scorpio (Granada MK3) fan speed switch goes, where would you located that? Would you also want the trim panel that houses the switch from the Euro donor if you wanted the conversion to look "factory"?
Brad
dimswits
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dimswits »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:13 am I split this off into it's own thread as it should be. Been thinking about this one some more. As far as the Scorpio (Granada MK3) fan speed switch goes, where would you located that? Would you also want the trim panel that houses the switch from the Euro donor if you wanted the conversion to look "factory"?
It goes where the EATC display is and looks just like the headlamp switch. No extra trim required.
Dimitri in NYC
88 Scorpio 2.5 Turbo
89 Scorpio 4.6 DOHC
02 E46 330Ci
17 MKC
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

dimswits wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:34 pm
It goes where the EATC display is and looks just like the headlamp switch. No extra trim required.
( x 2 ) Pops right in and fits stock bezel trim like it should be there.
Grass is always greener...guys in Europe want the North American EATC stuff.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Whats wrong with the EATC? Why would you want to do this?
Specialization is for Insects
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

The Slider controls (on XR and Euro Scorpio et al) are trouble/glitch free. Gotta repeat that: trouble/glitch free. Also, they provide instant response to every adjustment, faster than the EATC including fan speed changes. And allow instant mixing of A/C cooled air with heated air through the core to match operator's requests.

Also, trouble/glitch free. IME.

YMMV
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

brokencase wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:35 pm Whats wrong with the EATC? Why would you want to do this?
I prefer the simplicity and reliability of things that operate manually. Not always mind you - I haven't used a manual crank drill in decades, although I do own one. :)

Jan suggested I might need the vents from the manual HVAC car since I'd no longer have the brain that controls the motorized ones currently on the car. Thoughts on that?
Brad
dimswits
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dimswits »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:56 am
Jan suggested I might need the vents from the manual HVAC car since I'd no longer have the brain that controls the motorized ones currently on the car. Thoughts on that?
I have wondered about this too. The stock US Scorpio airbox has no provision for cutting airflow to the dash vents, that is handled by the stupid motors. It has been a long long time since I owned an XR, but I do not recall needing to manually close the dash vents if I didn’t want dash air. If that’s correct, then you shouldn’t need the manual Scorpio vents. Furthermore the stock vents actually close by being moved all the way left or right, unlike most cars with separate vent closure wheels or levers.
Dimitri in NYC
88 Scorpio 2.5 Turbo
89 Scorpio 4.6 DOHC
02 E46 330Ci
17 MKC
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

dimswits wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:40 am It has been a long long time since I owned an XR, but I do not recall needing to manually close the dash vents if I didn’t want dash air.
That's been the case on every XR I've owned (all have needed manual closure).
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

On my XRs, you do need to close dash vents if you don't want air coming through them. With slider lever on Floor air still comes through dash vents; if you want full blower air on floor the dash vents should be closed. With slider lever on Dash, some air still blows to floor. With slider lever on Defrost for either defrosting outside ice or defogging inside (with a/c on), some air still comes through dash vents so closing them provides max blower impact on windshield.

Other's XRs may be different.

YMMV
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:56 am
brokencase wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:35 pm Whats wrong with the EATC? Why would you want to do this?
I prefer the simplicity and reliability of things that operate manually. Not always mind you - I haven't used a manual crank drill in decades, although I do own one. :)

Worth looking at them to see if/how they operate differently (per Jan) than the Scorpio vent deflectors.

YMMV
dimswits
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dimswits »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:27 pm
Worth looking at them to see if/how they operate differently (per Jan) than the Scorpio vent deflectors.

YMMV
They have separate levers to completely close each vent just as the XR does.
Dimitri in NYC
88 Scorpio 2.5 Turbo
89 Scorpio 4.6 DOHC
02 E46 330Ci
17 MKC
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Are they plug and play (in the fake wood trim)? If so, I'd prefer them. XR vent adjuster wheels move smoothly without sticking while Scorpio vent vanes (I have a spare wood trim piece) don't.

YMMV
dimswits
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dimswits »

You would swap the entire trim/vent panel, because it has slots for those levers that don't exist in the US version.

BTW, the fake wood panel is not fake at all. Before 1080 vinyl wrap was a thing, I took one apart with the idea of converting the trim to brushed aluminum. It took a LOT of work with a heat gun to get the layers separated. It's a very thin layer of sweet smelling wood veneer formed over an aluminum backer. Over the wood is a very thick layer of resin (maybe 5 times thicker than the wood itself) that leads everyone to brand it as "fake." The vents are a couple of plastic pieces held to the backside by fingers of the aluminum backer that are bent through holes in the plastic.

I abandoned the idea because the resin layer is so thick the vents stood proud of the piece once it was removed.
Ed Lijewski wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:22 pm On my XRs, you do need to close dash vents if you don't want air coming through them. With slider lever on Floor air still comes through dash vents; if you want full blower air on floor the dash vents should be closed. With slider lever on Dash, some air still blows to floor. With slider lever on Defrost for either defrosting outside ice or defogging inside (with a/c on), some air still comes through dash vents so closing them provides max blower impact on windshield.
I stand corrected. Great design decision there.
Dimitri in NYC
88 Scorpio 2.5 Turbo
89 Scorpio 4.6 DOHC
02 E46 330Ci
17 MKC