Sierra Cossie headlights in a Scorpio?

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Sierra Cossie headlights in a Scorpio?

Post by john keefe »

Just thinking out loud... I've got a couple sets of really nice Sierra headlights (LHD & RHD), and was wondering if those could be installed on the Scorpio. Anyone tried this? I have the Sierra frames/box buckets for the headlights and could use those. I know the Scorpio arrangement is different, but creative solutions are the most fun, right? Unless they open a can of worms.

I'm thinking the only cosmetic issue would be clearing the 'rounded' transition from grille to headlight in the hood. But, if it fits and the only consequence is a little loss of high-beam path, that wouldn't be a bad trade-off.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Sierra Cossie headlights in a Scorpio?

Post by DAReese »

Why not just go with the Euro Scorpio headlight?
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Well, my wife would say its because I'm just a cheap ass. :D Euro spec Scorpio lights would be a nice, and easier solution, but for the time being a "hobby-luxury" I can't justify. But, these polished stock lights just aren't good enough, and I've got these nice Sierra lamps wasting away in the garage calling to me everytime I walk by... Besides, it's more fulfilling to make some creative idea work, right?

Anybody ever tried?
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

Sell the Sierra lights and buy Scorpio ones. But I get wanting to be different, I own both a Scorpio and an XR4Ti.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

FWIW...
I have nice Scorpio glass lights here I would trade you for the Sierra lights.
Full "euro kit", both headlights, both turn signals, the lower hockey stick trim and grille.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Thanks for the offer, Mike. Have one already from another member. If I decide to do it, you'd be second in line.

But, I'm only just OK with the look of the Euro combination... not enamored. Maybe it's just me... but the "tall" lens setup of the stock Scorpio looks better, in overall proportions, like the first generation SHO's. Still wish I had my SHO; should have never sold it.

Not saying I like the cheap, two-piece US Scorpio headlights. It's just that the slimmer, thinner lines of the Euro glass makes it look a lot like the second-generation Taurus ('91-'95), which wasn't an improvement on the original (IMHO). That's one reason I've been considering the "square-ish" Sierra Cosworth lenses instead. I just think their "tall" lens proportions would look better on a Scorpio. Or maybe its that I like the Sierra RS500 front end a lot.

Funny, if you track the changes in the US Taurus front design, it's reflected a couple years later in the Euro Scorpio, including that hideous bug-eyed 1999 front (3rd gen), and the only marginally improved 2000's. That bug-eyed look, with the greenhouse/tortoise-shell roof profile were so ugly, they probably cost Ford more in Taurus sales losses than any one single, other thing.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Totally agree with liking the stock Scorpio units. I installed the Euro units, and I like the yellow in parking mode and the combined brightness of the high/low beams in high mode. But the stock lights really do look better overall on the car. They stand out in a signature way: "Hey, that's a Scorpio; see those headlights?"

When you opened this thread I was going to make this observation but held back not wanting to question your taste. Turns out we see alike. :withstupid :cheers :haha

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

IMG_20151220_093701-816x612.jpg
IMG_20151220_093701-816x612.jpg (211.88 KiB) Viewed 8305 times
20170104_165428-1-262x143.jpg
20170104_165428-1-262x143.jpg (21.9 KiB) Viewed 8305 times
20130702_133110-816x612.jpg
20130702_133110-816x612.jpg (190.43 KiB) Viewed 8305 times
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I wonder if there might be a "Door 3" option, something from an entirely different vehicle. In my ideal vision, it wouldn't require the Euro trim filler panels or side indicators and would be off something relatively common. I found such a thing for my '91 F-150 in a Land Rover Discovery II. Hardly plug-n-play, but it fills the space nicely - just need to get the mounting sorted out behind the scenes.
Brad
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

The later Mk2 Sierra euro lights are somewhere between the Mk1 euro Sierra lights and the euro Scorpio lights.

john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Mike, are those the same as used in the RS Cosworth (Sapphire) 4-door?

Ed, always the considerate gentleman... a skill I haven't learned as yet, but I'm getting better at cleaning the crap off my shoes from stepping in it all the time. :D Chestnut metallic paint? Actually looks pretty good. Did you do some hood beak surgery, or is that just an effect from the pin-striping?

Brad, got a pic of the Disco lights in your F-150? I've had a couple LRs. County LWB's, which were great, until you get a leaking airbag on a 300mile road trip. Like riding a buckboard with no springs. There are surprisingly a lot of people who belong to clubs who do a LOT of off-roading in even newer LR's... they end up ditching the airbags and swapping in leaf springs from Discos, which seems to fit just about every LR until late. They say it rides only a bit more harshly, but more sporty, and well-worth not having to deal with a leak and needing to take it to a dealer to reprogram the stupid suspension computer before it will pump up again.

Had to adjust the toe on one of mine, which is a matter of changing shims inside the massive front hub. Have a good buddy who was a service writer for Land Rover back then, and came up the ranks from being a certified mechanic. He quoted me $90, and did it in 45 minutes. I was amazed, and pissed off. Land Rover charges a flat rate of 8 hrs. labor to do it. I told him it was a rip-off, but he said that sometimes you get rusted, corroded hubs from a couple years of off-roading that can take 8 hrs. per side. LR figured over the long term, they're offsetting lost labor costs on those by charging the same cost for the easy ones, and they won't budge on that. Then again, LR has the reputation of needlessly high repair costs, and the obligatory snobby service writers.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Original paint. Striping tape.

Thanks.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

john keefe wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:12 am Brad, got a pic of the Disco lights in your F-150?
LandRoverHeadlightF150-1.JPG
LandRoverHeadlightF150-1.JPG (986.94 KiB) Viewed 8264 times
Obviously (or maybe not), the chunk of wood was just for mock-up purposes. What I did after this mock-up was brought my sawzall to the junkyard and cut out from the Disco II the sheet metal that the light mounts to. Unfortunately, that's where the project stalled out. I hope to pick it up againsome day soon.
Brad
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

That actually looks like it would be a nice fit. Are your stock F-150 lights plastic, and you want to go with glass?

Yeah, you can find a few Disco's in JY's these days. PITA to work on, and they were produced during that transition phase from LR, to Honda, to Ford to BMW as parent companies, so you get a lot of weird parts and combos year by year. If you know the year and parent company, you can find many crossover parts for FAR LESS than what LR wants, but it takes time. Not worth the effort for most owners.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

john keefe wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:12 am Mike, are those the same as used in the RS Cosworth (Sapphire) 4-door?
I won't swear to it but I believe the base model Sierra Mk2 hatchback headlights are different than the Mk2 4-door.
They look taller to me. Not sure if its an illusion or a delusion.