Uprated Front Springs

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Uprated Front Springs

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Anyone have feedback on a moderately stiffer spring for the front? Wouldn't mind a slight increase in ride height along with the change. The Mrs. misses her Forester ride height where clearance wasn't any concern.

I'm wondering if the Mk4 Jetta strut/spring might be an easy swap. Details on that in the XR section, but the Scorpio is similar enough it might be do-able.
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Uprated Front Springs

Post by brokencase »

Brad,

You might want to consider the aftermarket Jetta performance struts with the coil over springs. These would allow you to adjust ride height.

If they are too low at the start you may be able to insert a spacer to gain some lift.

I do not have any experience doing this, but it should work.

Problem is that the low cost coil over kits on ebay usually include the rear shocks as well and those probably won't be of any use.

I regret not attempting the Jetta Strut conversion when I redid my struts last year. I'm really curious as to how well the conversion works.
There are so many more strut options available.
Specialization is for Insects
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

brokencase wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:51 pm You might want to consider the aftermarket Jetta performance struts with the coil over springs. These would allow you to adjust ride height.
Yep, that is something I would certainly consider. But I was hoping for a possible super-simple swap where I might be able to drop in an assembled Jetta strut assembly as-is. I happen to have a pair of those on hand, so perhaps I'll try them as a test-fit in the partScorpio in the spring.
Brad
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Let us know what the install and performance is like. I'm disappointed with the KYB & insert sleeve setup... constant clunking. Tired of going through and checking all the suspension bolts, upper mount, sway bar, the through-bolt on the hub. It's both sides, so I'm pretty sure is related to tolerances between the strut and sleeve. It's become irritating, instead of a tolerable Merkur "quirk."
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

john keefe wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:14 pm Let us know what the install and performance is like. I'm disappointed with the KYB & insert sleeve setup... constant clunking. Tired of going through and checking all the suspension bolts, upper mount, sway bar, the through-bolt on the hub. It's both sides, so I'm pretty sure is related to tolerances between the strut and sleeve. It's become irritating, instead of a tolerable Merkur "quirk."
Bummed for you that the Godfrey sleeve isn't working. Did it seem like it went together too easy and thus the tolerances were too loose on the insert?
I bought a pair of NOS factory struts from the guy I got the parts Scorpio from, mostly as a favor since he gave me other stuff. I may use them, or I may not - we'll see. I'd sorta prefer to use the Jetta stuff so that I'll have a bunch of spring options.
Brad
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Oops. Did I get those from you? Ha! Sorry about that if I did. Fit-up tolerances were snug, not loose, IIRC. But, now I suspect the culprit is probably me... I didn't want those sleeves fretting then galling, on either the hub or strut, so I installed them with a thin film of anti-seize compound. Perhaps that was just enough lube to allow a little movement? That'll be the next on my checklist, if I ever get this garage cleared out.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Is the bolt hole on the Jetta struts even a smidge larger than on the OEMs?
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:06 am Is the bolt hole on the Jetta struts even a smidge larger than on the OEMs?
No, the Jetta strut stub is just a little smaller than the Scorpio strut and thus requires a shim of about .023" thickness for proper fitment in the Scorpio knuckle.

Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I was referring to the knuckle bolt hole of the Jetta strut (not the sleeve dimension); just brainstorming why John hears/feels a thumping. If/if the strut bolt hole is even a bit larger and the sleeve doesn't grip the strut fist hard, that might be where the thumping originates.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

John,
Can you see if there is wear on the strut that is indicative of movement in the sleeve?

You definitely do not want anti-seize on those surfaces. You want them to clamp tight.

Are you sure the "clunking" is not something else like the strut bearings up top? Ball joints?

When does the clunking occur? On compression or extension?

I'd like to know more details of your setup. Which specific Jetta struts are you using? Original Scorpio Springs? etc...

The Jetta adaptation should work.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Brokencase... sorry didn't reply sooner, but was having trouble getting signed in for a while there.

Not using Jetta struts. KYB's for XR4, with aluminum sleeve. Original Scorpio springs, orig. strut tower mount bushing (looked fine during install, firm w/ no cracks). New strut upper bearings. PU TCA inner bushings and sway-bar to TCA PU bushings. No tears in the TCA pivot/ball joint bladders, rotated smoothly by hand with resistance, but no grinding.

I've greased the sway bar bushings, doesn't seem to help.

I think the clunking is mostly on compression, more evident a slower speeds and slow turns (e.g., taking off from 3-point turn, u-turn, etc.). Steering rack seems fine, minor leak showing in one bellows.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

john keefe wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:01 am Not using Jetta struts. KYB's for XR4, with aluminum sleeve.
I wonder if it could be the KYB struts themselves? Some people swear by them, others, AT them.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Huh? Like, mucho, XR KYBs.

YMMV
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Have a mechanic put it up on a lift and find out where the noise is coming from. There is potential danger here...
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Yeah... KYB's. Good, but not very sophisticated. Had them laying around from some XR project in the past. Already spent the play money on the 5.0XR suspension.

Would love to try an adjustable coilover Jetta setup, but gotta' figure out how to live with what it's got on it now. It does have Explorer rear shocks, which was a tip from Brad. A little stiff but good balance to the front. There was a post last year on it. Worked out well. Or, as well as can be paired with KYB's.