Alternate Alternator Upgrade - Nissan/Infiniti

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: Alternate Alternator Upgrade - Nissan/Infiniti

Post by Ed Lijewski » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:33 pm

Damn...isn't Carlisle like um in your "backyard"?

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:45 pm

brokencase wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:19 pm
Last time I made to the Ford show was when I went to one of the very early Merkur gatherings in the 90's
Your last was my first. 1999.
Brad

brokencase
Level 4
Level 4

Post by brokencase » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:02 pm

I think I went to two of the early Merkur gatherings. But the one in the photo was the first, not really sure of the year was that 99? Seemed like it was earlier...anyhow - it was epic.
I can remember there was this promenade drive to the location where we could take the group photo. Seemed like there were a zillion XR4tis. Group shot and parade photos below. The red arrow points me out.

The second one was a few years later and I just showed up at the fairgrounds. There was another fellow who had a white Scorpio just like mine and we spent the day talking about Scorpio issues. Thats the shot with the two white Scorpios. Might have been 2000 or 20001
Attachments
carlisle300.jpg
carlisle300.jpg (57.56 KiB) Viewed 753 times
promenade.jpg
promenade.jpg (21.44 KiB) Viewed 753 times
latershow.jpg
latershow.jpg (30.64 KiB) Viewed 753 times

Bob Weir
Membership Coordinator

Post by Bob Weir » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:42 pm

Hi Dean

Those photos are from 2005, the 20th Merkur Anniversary. 236 Merkurs = best showing we ever had. The other white Scorpio probably belongs to Saul Rivkin, MCA Treasurer.

MCA Board is presently trying to do what it can to encourage people to drive their Merkur to Carlisle this year. Hope to see you there with or without your Scorpio.

Bob
PS Thanks for all your research and experiments with the alternator. Ironically, I found a related thread about improving headlight output [lumens] in older Ford Taurus / Mercury Sable. They have 16/18 ga wiring & lack of relays for headlights. What's Ford's logic for using such 16/18 ga wiring for something illuminating the road? Or do most auto mags do it?

brokencase
Level 4
Level 4

Post by brokencase » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:40 pm

Nope - The first two photos are pre-2000 for sure, most likely 1999. The last photo is no later than 2003 and I would say most likely 2000. I only owned my first Scorpio from 1997-2003.

The other white one in the last photo was not Saul's. I know Saul, even back then.
This guy was from NJ or PA and just showed up at the show field like myself. I remember he had a pinstripe on his Scorpio like mine did. His pinstripe was a little different than mine because this was a dealer installed option. My current Scorpio does not have a pinstripe.

He had darkly tinted windows and I was so impressed that I had window tint like that installed. Some time later I got pulled over and got a stiff warning from a local cop when I took a bunch of co-workers out to lunch one day. It was shortly after 9/11 and this cop says to me "How do I know if you guy aren't a bunch of terrorist inside there? I can see anything!" PA has a window tint darkness threshold. I told the cop that the car has a huge amount of glass and gets really hot and he seemed to understand and let me go. Never had a problem after that incident.

Anyhow I think you can see how I can clearly date these photos.

On my current Scorpio I installed window tint myself. I put that new, state of the art, IR blocking tint. It is not dark but it blocks the infrared wavelengths. I studied all the videos on youtube to learn how to install tint. Let me tell you.. installing window tint is a tricky skill.
I didn't do the rear window because it can be troublesome on the rear defrosting grid.

I had an estimate to install it and they wanted around $650. Doing it myself cost around $200.

Does it work? I actually tested the tint with a quartz heat lamp. It really does block the infrared. You can feel the radiant heat being blocked on your hand when you place the tint in between. But practically on the car? Not so much. The only way to keep a Scorpio cool in the summer is to park it in the shade!

Bob Weir
Membership Coordinator

Post by Bob Weir » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:21 am

Thanks for the corrections

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:02 pm

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:06 pm
The only possible donor I found was from a '92 Ranger 2.9. It's a V-belt pulley with the correct shaft size and about right offset. Only issue is the O.D. of the snub is just a bit too large and interferes with the case. Should be an easy job with the lathe as it's just a clearance thing. I'll put it in the "Round Tuit" pile.

As Taylor suggested above, 90's Nissan Hardbody and Frontiers w/ the 4-cyl are probably the most common donor, but those are getting rare due to age.
This past Thursday it was sunny with highs near 50, so I found myself at Harry's Pennsburg. A '95 Nissan Frontier 4-cyl had arrived, so I went to work on liberating the alternator pulley from it (good thing for cordless impact guns). Indeed Nissan was still using V-belts on this application, but I'm not too optimistic that this pulley will work. It fits the 110A Nissan alternator perfectly fine, but it sits too far outbound from the alternator case. Also, it's meant for a smaller gauge v-belt, although I think that wouldn't be a deal breaker.

So I'm back to thinking the '86 - '92 2.9 Ranger/Bronco II pulley is the better answer. As I mentioned previously, it only needs the OD of the spindle pilot turned down a little. And since it's just for clearance purposes (so it doesn't interfere with the Nissan alternator case), it's not even a precision machining operation.
Here's a pic of the alternator in question - for reference I just now grabbed the pic of the alternator off eBay.
Ranger29Alternator.jpg
Ranger29Alternator.jpg (349.76 KiB) Viewed 400 times
P.S. I'm going to clear out some of the jibber-jabber from this thread unrelated to the topic.
Brad