Merkur Scorpio vs. Sierra/Capri/Granada 2.9 12v intakes

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
PetroleumJunkie412

Merkur Scorpio vs. Sierra/Capri/Granada 2.9 12v intakes

Post by PetroleumJunkie412 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:52 am

Hey all, Ranger guy back again.

Posted this over at TRS. Will link this page to that post as well. Guessing ya'll will have some input on this versus the Ranger guys that rarely mess with the 2.9.

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums ... es.184934/

Had family from the UK pick up a few intakes and send them over to me. There's quite a few differences between the Merkur version and euro ones.

The other interesting thing is the gasket on the complete Sierra intake - looks like there's a lower intake I've not yet found. I don't recognize the bolt pattern at all, but I have no experience with the 2.3 and 2.6 cologne, so it could easily be from one of them.

I will say that I have the Merkur one on my Ranger and it's night and day better than the stock Ranger one. Much better throttle response, and according to autotune on the megasquirt, a 13% or so bump in volumetric efficiency over the Ranger high rise across all rpm ranges. Ya'll definitely got the better end of that deal.

brokencase
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Merkur Scorpio vs. Sierra/Capri/Granada 2.9 12v intakes

Post by brokencase » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:36 pm

The Scorpio has a longer duration camshaft as well. Search through the forum as I posted the specs for each a while back.

But I think it really comes down to the Ranger being setup for more torque. The hp difference is minor between the two.

The Euro 2.9l had dual vane sensors and slightly higher compression ratio. So they made a little more hp. But not much - maybe 5hp

PetroleumJunkie412

Post by PetroleumJunkie412 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:26 am

Funny you mention cam, that's the decision I'm making right now.

I'm down between a custom grind from Camcraft at either 206/210 or 210/214 OR to just run a Sierra 'fast road' cam. Either one of these will be run with Cologne 2.6 solid lifters (both cams are set up for them). Melling high volume oil pump and free floating rocker spacers are installed, so no worries on upper valve train oiling. Flashlight in the valve covers shows a literal fountain of oil on the top end.

Reason for me going to the longer duration is to take advantage of the supercharger as much as possible. Currently the blower is mounted on the side of the engine, but belt and plumbing are not hooked up yet (everything works, but waiting to hit a dyno in the spring to tune).

I had looked at the Scorpio cam, but cannot remember why I decided against it.

Entire reason I picked up the UK intakes was I had read they were a true 'dual chamber' design. Turns out that's correct. Also nice that the UK throttle body eliminates the EGR port. Irritating that the IAT sensor port is missing, though. Planning on using one of them as soon as I finish the supercharger and MAF install due to the true 'dual chamber' design vs. the Merkur one that allows the sides to equalize.

whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:34 pm

No pictures?
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx

Bob Weir
Membership Coordinator

Post by Bob Weir » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:30 pm

Go to PetroleumJunkie412 original post and scroll down

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums ... es.184934/

PetroleumJunkie412

Post by PetroleumJunkie412 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:00 pm

Nope, not on here. They're over at the Ranger Station. Feel free to make requests on here if there's angles you'd want to see.