Check out this immaculate Scorpio for auction

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Check out this immaculate Scorpio for auction

Post by brokencase »

The only recent thing in the media where Scorpio involved was this Extra Gum Commercial..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsihqEM8rtg

The funny thing is it is a US Scorpio (because of the headlights), but it has different steering wheel..
Specialization is for Insects
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

brokencase wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:36 pm The only recent thing in the media where Scorpio involved was this Extra Gum Commercial..

The funny thing is it is a US Scorpio (because of the headlights), but it has different steering wheel..
I saw that commercial and figured it was made in Europe, since lots of commercials are used in multiple countries. I could never tell if it was a right hand drive or left hand drive because it cut away so fast. Remember those Werther Originals commercials and the lips didn't match up to the voices? I always thought that was so dumb until I realized it wasn't originally in English. :withstupid
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I have envisioned yet another scenario where the value of the Scorpio may be increased...

Chip Foose does an Overhaulin' episode on the Scorpio and takes an existing forum member's Scorpio (maybe mine) and executes Kelly's original design vision of the Scorpio as show here on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMpyonklNJQ&t=1537s

Like this...
therealscorpio.jpg
therealscorpio.jpg (181.69 KiB) Viewed 3469 times
After seeing the above video Foose is astonished by Kelly's artistic techniques an proclaims "Foose might not be not worthy". But somehow Foose and his team pulls it off in the execution of the customizations required to reproduce the original designer's vision. They also install a 3.7 liter Ecoboost with a Tremec 6 speed. Foose is blown away by the utter simplicity of the 19 inch wheels with low profile tires. Painted white with a black center (with a minuscule "Foose/Scorpio" logo) and a thin machined surface about the outer perimeter.
Last edited by brokencase on Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

brokencase wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:36 pm The only recent thing in the media where Scorpio involved was this Extra Gum Commercial..
I remember that commercial!!
When I saw it, I actually said "WTF, that's a Scorpio!!!"

:thumb
Wheeler Dealers does an episode on one. Actually I am surprised this hasn't happened already - not sure how much demand this would garner, btw. Ant might not like what he has to do...
They did an XR4Ti, but had to send it to Europe to keep from losing their $%^&.
It did a lot better than the Pacer, though. The stuff Edd did to that poor car... it had no hope, no hope at all.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

eaton53 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:52 am
Ed Lijewski wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:28 am Another Garage Queen, only to roll out in best weather at show trips.

All that proves is deeper pockets.

I'd be smiling if a high bidder intended to drive it, not save it.

YOLO.

YMMV
Someone has to save the really good ones. Ed.
If everyone drove the unmolested time capsules into the ground there wouldn't be any more unmolested time capsules.
I doubt anyone's going to do a ground up restoration on a Merkur, so preservation will have to do.
The more often Scorpio owners drive them, the more people who will see them, some who knew of them and many who didn't, and more Thumbs Up will be given, along with engaging conversations with the owners about them. I DD only Merkurs, XRs and Scorpios, and I get LOTS of positive reactions to and interest in them.

No one HAS to "save" pristine examples. Good or even great well cared for examples, with modest use "patina" are vastly more appreciated at car shows than are Garage Queens.

Scorpios possibly even more than XRs were designed and engineered for full lives on the road (well, maybe excepting the rear arches in English weather...but those can be rebuilt).

Just last week I was parked in my '89 Scorp at "my" McD's checking news on my S8 and a woman "of a certain age" in the car two spots from me waved to get my attention, then said "What kind of car is that, but looks great?" So we talked Merkur Scorpios...

This kind of random interest in these cars isn't rare even when people don't know about them.

A week earlier in three lane traffic at a stop sign a fellow in a large truck on my left engaged me in conversation asking what my (Merkur Scorpio) was as he liked its appearance and was especially drawn to the interior which he could see well from his higher perch.

Ground up Scorpio restos are not needed now (there are really nice ones still around) but that certainly could be done no matter that you opine otherwise.

And, my Merks are Working Merks. No garage comas for them.

YMMV
Attachments
20200925_103349_copy_1209x1209.jpg
20200925_103349_copy_1209x1209.jpg (512.57 KiB) Viewed 3455 times
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Someone has to save the really good ones. Ed.
If everyone drove the unmolested time capsules into the ground there wouldn't be any more unmolested time capsules.
I doubt anyone's going to do a ground up restoration on a Merkur, so preservation will have to do.
I thought there was a fully restored Scorpio at Carlisle 2013? And I've seen pictures of fully restored XRs on this site with everything under the car all nice and shiny.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:59 am The more often Scorpio owners drive them, the more people who will see them, some who knew of them and many who didn't, and more Thumbs Up will be given, along with engaging conversations with the owners about them. I DD only Merkurs, XRs and Scorpios, and I get LOTS of positive reactions to and interest in them.
I agree Ed, I just took mine out today and I noticed the guy in the jeep behind me was taking pictures of my car. Not the first time that has occurred. I have normal tags and drive mine regularly. If people don't see them they will never know about them.

That would be a problem with me if I had acquired this low mileage example. Like yourself I would want to drive it all the time. I can't devote a parking spot in the garage to it and only take it to Carlisle every year. So I am glad there are folks like Eaton to preserve the nice examples.

But I don't think after 30 years there are many low mileage, good example Scorpios left out there. I thought mine was pretty low with 72K when I bought it in late 2015. But then I bumped into Saul at a German car show in Fleetwood, PA, about two years ago and he had just acquired a Burgundy Red example that I think had about 65K miles. Naturally you have to be careful with mileage readings on Scorpios because that odo gear that breaks.

It isn't always about mileage. I'd take a higher mileage example that does not have rotted rear wheel arches over a lower mileage example that does, or especially if the leather is better.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Hey Eaton.. I just though of something.. How does a car with only 19K miles end up with a mixed set of tires on it?
Naturally dry rot is the issue, and that is why the original P6's are gone, but I would have thought that if rot was the issue then the PO would be replacing tires as a set.

When you take possession of the car tell us what the date codes are on the tires...and measure the tread depth too. It might be revealing.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Saul bought that red Scorp from Norm's (last name escapes me ATM) widow, Norm passed ~8/10 years ago. Norm had a green XR and the red Scorp. Norm was active in MCA.

YMMV
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Doug made a video and talked about your car and how to say Merkur correctly. :cheers
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:22 pm Doug made a video and talked about your car and how to say Merkur correctly. :cheers
Doug talks MARE-coor @ 4:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikcfjGxi3kk

When both cars and the Megapole all get displayed in one place next spring, I'll have to send Doug a pic and a link to here.
Seller already wants to see it.

Edit:
Talked to the seller today.
The car hasn't shipped because in a post-sale inspection it was noticed that the lower front control arms needed to be replaced.
He has the parts and it'll be fixed on Monday, then hopefully early next week it'll be shipped.
He could've just shipped it as is and it would've been my problem.
It's not like I'm not expecting issues. I'll be shocked if there aren't issues!
When you take possession of the car tell us what the date codes are on the tires...and measure the tread depth too. It might be revealing.
I'm going to look at them, but they are going to be replaced ASAP.
It appears Pirelli P6's are not a thing in that size, so I'll likely be buying a set of Goodyears from my indy mechanic.
While he's doing that, I'll have him do his own inspection of the car.

He's a REALLY good and honest mechanic... widely considered the best in town.
When I gave him my XR and told him to "fix it", he fixed it without buying any parts!!
Turned out he did need to get a kickdown cable, but we took care of that later.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
taylor0987
Level 1
Level 1

Post by taylor0987 »

I am quite sure that is a MK2 Sierra Sedan, not a Scorpio. https://www.flickriver.com/photos/junkt ... 940636476/
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 080108.jpg
etc
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

taylor0987 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:34 am

I am quite sure that is a MK2 Sierra Sedan, not a Scorpio. https://www.flickriver.com/photos/junkt ... 940636476/
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 080108.jpg
etc
You are correct , that's not a US Scorpio. It is a Mk2 Sierra sedan.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Are you sure? It's got the US spec headlights....and a US plate?