Scorpio Front Hub

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Scorpio Front Hub

Post by Fresh Air Inspector »

Hello All,

My front wheel bearings have a little play so I can't have a proper wheel alignment done. I have new bearings and seals in my 'parts stash'. What I find interesting is that my Merkur Shop Manual has no reference to the front hub assembly!!!! From what I have been able to ascertain the dust cap on the rear of the hub assembly will give me access to the retaining nut, allow me to pull the the hub and replace the bearings. From what I have found on the forum the hub nut requires 240 ft. lbs. of torque to install correctly.

Please set me straight if my assumptions are incorrect. :-)
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Scorpio Front Hub

Post by Fresh Air Inspector »

Hello All,

Finally found the information I was looking for in the factory shop manual. For some bizarre reason the Ford engineers put that information in the 'Wheels and Tires' section. So, for future reference;

Group 11 - Wheels and Tires
Section 11-10 Wheel Bearings and Spindle Carriers - Front

For those of you that don't have the manual and are contemplating replacing the front wheel bearings, bear the following in mind;

1. You will need 4 bearings (2 for each wheel), plus 2 grease seals (1 for each wheel). [For reference, bearings; SKF FW139, grease seal; SKF 20905]

2. The large lock nut (41mm) behind the dust cover (below strut) is RH thread on the drivers side (blue Nylock nut), and LH thread on passenger side (yellow Nylock nut).

3. The spindle carrier will need to removed from the vehicle - this means unbolting brake caliper and hang it via a wire from the front spring, remove strut pinch bolt, disconnect ball joint, do the same with the tie rod end and unbolt the ABS pick-up.

4. The real challenge will be the above mentioned lock nut - it is tightened to 390 - 450 N-m (288 - 331 ft. lb.), of torque. The manual suggests reversing the wheel nuts and placing the spindle in a vice to do this. Removing it can be done with typical garage tools. Applying torque to spec during reassembly will be the challenge. Like me, I doubt if any of you have a torque wrench with those values. I'll try the local truck repair shop for this step.

5. As with all manufacturers, Ford has a gaggle of special tools to remove and insert the outer bearing races. This is where erring on the side of caution is critical. For installation I may try the 'bearing race in the freezer trick coupled with the spindle in the oven'. Speed (and gloves), will be critical. :-)

6. Pack the bearings well with a good quality bearing grease and don't over do it - not much room exists for excess grease in the spindle cavity. You don't want the excess squeezing out past the seal onto the brake discs! Don't forget to grease the seal and the surfaces it rides on.

7. Once the spindle nut has been torqued to spec, double check it for smooth operation. If any tight spots exist, remove the nut and double check the inner races, one or both may not have seated properly.

NOTE;
1. These bearings have NO adjustment so the installation procedure (outer bearing races square in the bore and properly seated), is CRITICAL. As well, the torque on the spindle nut is a factor. Too loose or too tight will result in premature failure of the wheel bearings.

2. Ford expects the lock nuts to be replaced during this R & R procedure. I doubt if these are still available at the parts counter. I would suggest using thread locking compound.

Hope it helps.
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

You're pretty spot on with the rebuild.
I've got a breaker bar about 6feet/2meters long to put them back together.
It's been suggested to park the car against a brick wall to tighten them.
I haven't done it yet, my car is up on jackstands still taken apart too much to roll.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Thanks for posting the step by step..
Specialization is for Insects
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Fresh Air Inspector wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:41 am 1. You will need 4 bearings (2 for each wheel), plus 2 grease seals (1 for each wheel). [For reference, bearings; SKF FW139, grease seal; SKF 20905]
Thanks for this detailed post. I'll add one tidbit... The Ford seal for the front is p/n E7RY-1190-A, so it basically cross-references to SKF or CR 20905. They look rather different but do the same job. At this point I'd probably opt for the 20905 as the Ford seal is likely a NOS which may have been sitting on the shelf for a couple decades. The one I have here is dated June 1998.

Note that both the front and rear seals are NOT shared between the XR4 and Scorpio. Four different seals between the two cars.
Brad
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Shortly after I bought my XR, I realized the left rear wasn't mounted correctly.

PO didn't realize -
"The large lock nut (41mm) behind the dust cover (below strut) is RH thread on the drivers side (blue Nylock nut), and LH thread on passenger side (yellow Nylock nut)"

Fortunately Herson sent me a carrier. And I was able to buy a bunch-a-nuts from a NE Pa dealer. One ad in MCA's classifieds and they were sold.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Bob Weir wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:37 pm Shortly after I bought my XR, I realized the left rear wasn't mounted correctly.

PO didn't realize -
"The large lock nut (41mm) behind the dust cover (below strut) is RH thread on the drivers side (blue Nylock nut), and LH thread on passenger side (yellow Nylock nut)"

Fortunately Herson sent me a carrier. And I was able to buy a bunch-a-nuts from a NE Pa dealer. One ad in MCA's classifieds and they were sold.
It sounds like most people don't realize that Bob, at least until it's too late.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Just in case anyone (including me) needs to know the orientation of that washer that goes under the nut...
ScorpioHubBack.jpg
(594.84 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Brad
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Fortunately, I didn't have to reassemble. I had my favorite [30+ yrs] maniac do it.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:10 pm Just in case anyone (including me) needs to know the orientation of that washer that goes under the nut...

ScorpioHubBack.jpg
Was this rebuild/photo taken when it was possible to get new bearings and seals for the Scorpio hubs?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

my8950 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:00 am Was this rebuild/photo taken when it was possible to get new bearings and seals for the Scorpio hubs?
The photo was taken yesterday. I already have the seals and I'm going to re-use the bearings. I've already cleaned them up and they look and roll fine. And yes, I've indicated with a Sharpie where each one came from so they go back to the same location.

I thought the bearings and seals are still readily available, no?
Brad
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:31 am I thought the bearings and seals are still readily available, no?
For Scorpio hubs, I don't believe they are.
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

Jeff Herson will have the seals if you need them. They are out there.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

My Scorpio bearings and seals cross reference...

Front bearings SKF FW139, NATIONAL A18,TIMKEN SET11
Front seals Ford USA p/n is E7RY-1190-A napa 20905,SKF 20905, national federal mogal pn 53x68x10, Corteco 12012561B

rear bearings are SKF FW141, BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0514082,TIMKEN SET721
rear seals Ford USA p/n is E7RY1175A; SKF p/n 22032, Ford of Europe p/n 85GB1175AA
SKF p/n 22038 is nearly the same seal, just a little deeper. Either can be used, but 22032 seems to be more widely available.
API 147645076,API 45076
CENTRIC 41742004 Rear Outer
CENTRIC 41710003 Rear Inner
SKF 16523 Rear Inner

Corrections welcomed
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Searching ebay for the ford part numbers yields many NOS seals available.