Scorpio Front Brake Calipers

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Scorpio Front Brake Calipers

Post by Fresh Air Inspector »

Hello All,

Next challenge, the right front caliper is missing the large spring clip that holds the outside of the caliper against the caliper bracket. I have a new hardware kit from Raybestos (H15806A) however, the spring clip is a totally different design. I'm not usually baffled by anything mechanical but I can not figure out how it should mount. I've searched for a picture of this clip installed but no luck. It is probably going to be something simple.

On the Rock Auto site all the brake hardware kits show the same design as does NAPA (NUP 83189A).

Hopefully someone out there can relieve me of my frustration. :-)
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Scorpio Front Brake Calipers

Post by merkurdriver »

Rock Auto, NAPA, and other big box parts retailers are not known to have the correct parts listed for the Scorpio and XR4Ti.
That caliper clip H15806 you reference is not going to fit your Scorpio front caliper.

Rock Auto and NAPA want to sell you this:

When the correct part is this:

Trust Merkur specific vendors to get you the right parts / advice; Merkur Depot, Merkur Midwest, Rapido
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fresh Air Inspector »

Hello Mike (aka merkurdriver),

Really appreciate the clarification. I can only recall one incident each where Rock Auto and NAPA sent me the wrong part (I buy a LOT from both), so this is quite a surprise. NAPA is local to me and Rock Auto is easy to work with for us Canadians as they are able to quote prices in Canadian Dollars and the customs / duty charges are included in the shipping costs. That said, it is a relief to know I wasn't losing my mechanical marbles. :-)

Thanks for the suggestion to use Merkur Depot - I couldn't find a 'disk brake hardware kit' on their site so I sent them an inquiry email. I plan to order a number of other bits from them to consolidate the shipping costs to Canada.
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring
asifahmed

Post by asifahmed »

If our Merkur vendors (Merkur Parts Midwest, Merkur Depot etc) don't have the wire type anti-rattle clips: Contact Brake Caliper Solutions (BCS) in the UK. They seem to have all the caliper related parts you will need. I was rebuilding the rear calipers for one of my Scorpios and I broke the locator plate (small part inside the parking brake mechanism) and BCS had it.
on facebook brakecalipersolutions
sarah@brakecalipersolutions.com
One drawback : cost of shipping...I bought some rear caliper repair kits w/ pistons and the 1st quote I got for DHL was $$ but I asked to ship my HRM Royal Mail and it was less

Steve
Parksville, BC
asifahmed

Post by asifahmed »

BTW some Scorpio front calipers have a larger hole for the anti-rattle clip, this type uses the Rock Auto part. While others will have a small hole for the wire type clip.

Steve
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

asifahmed wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:04 am BTW some Scorpio front calipers have a larger hole for the anti-rattle clip, this type uses the Rock Auto part. While others will have a small hole for the wire type clip.
1985 and some really early 1986 XR4Ti used the large hole caliper clips, everything 86 forward was the small hole wire clip. Scorpio and XR4Ti front calipers are the same, so in the mix the 1985 calipers were getting turned in as cores when buying rebuilt calipers. And eventually those 1985 calipers were rebuilt and sold. Fast forward a few decades later and (rebuilt) large clip style calipers could have made their way onto both models/any year.
Have rebuilt calipers of both styles available as well as new and used clips in both styles.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

asifahmed wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:01 am I was rebuilding the rear calipers for one of my Scorpios and I broke the locator plate (small part inside the parking brake mechanism) and BCS had it.
Have the Scorpio rear caliper parking brake locator plates here if it ever happens again and you need one.
NEW, NOS in Ford boxes ( part of a small parts kit ).