Replacement for factory Mini-spare tire (AKA Donut)

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Replacement for factory Mini-spare tire (AKA Donut)

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:26 pm So what you could do is replace the 125/90R16 tire on the Mercedes wheel with a 115/70R16 tire. I did a quick study and found several modern vehicles that could donate the requisite spare tire (only) which could then be mounted onto the Mercedes rim...

1999 - 2008 Saab 9-5
Some time since I last posted on this thread I stopped by the junkyard and picked up a spare from the aforementioned Saab 9-5. My experience with Saab spares is that they didn't cheap out on the tires like many others. I have one out in the garage from an early 80's Saab 900 that still looks new. Any way, as I suggested above, I took the Mercedes and Saab spares to my friendly mechanic and asked him to mount the tire from the Saab spare onto the Mercedes rim.

Not so fast... The valve stem on the Mercedes has failed - very common I come to find out - and it is not a common size at all! Some research and I find it's a TR438, which is available on-line (or from a Mercedes dealer for $15). One week later, I have the valve stem, back to my mechanic, and I now have a 16" spare for the Scorpio which snugly fits into the wheel well.
ScorpMercSaabSpare-1.JPG
ScorpMercSaabSpare-1.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 3128 times
ScorpMercSaabSpare-2.JPG
ScorpMercSaabSpare-2.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 3128 times
Bonus points for having a nice flat surface. If I wanted to skip that masonite panel that goes over the spare well, I could.
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Very cool!
Specialization is for Insects
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

My spare tire on the left. Never been on the car before. I found a newer car in the Pull-A-Part that had the same size spare and had it mounted on the original rim.
Spare Tire XR4Ti 4.jpg
Spare Tire XR4Ti 4.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 2951 times
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

DAReese wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:22 pmI found a newer car in the Pull-A-Part that had the same size spare and had it mounted on the original rim.
Years ago I did the same, using a spare tire from a Saab 900 I believe. Then I installed bigger brakes, which didn't clear the factory spare wheel. By then, word on the street was that some of the sportier Saab 9000s had a 16" spare which could be used as-is (4x108 bolt pattern).

As you can see, the process was a little more involved for the Scorpio.
Brad
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

I often thought about cutting out the "brace" at top rear of wheel well. If needed for structural rigidity, plates at each end with nuts & bolts to reattach it. The well is deep & wide enough for most standard tires