What Car Care Products Do You Use???

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

What Car Care Products Do You Use???

Post by Fresh Air Inspector »

Hello All,

Been wanting to post this for some time now … what car care products do you use???

1. Cleaning Alloy Wheels
I found that ceramic brake pads create significantly less dust than organic pads. This is a bonus on Scorpio alloys with the small 'dust pockets'. My current wheel cleaner (my 6th or 7th brand) is Simoniz. I use this along with a 25mm (1”), paint brush (metal part wrapped with Duct Tape), to clean the 'pockets'. Only removes about 85 – 90%, still need to use my finger tips (Latex or Nitrile gloves), to get at the remainder. I do the wheels before washing the car.

2. Car Wash Detergent
Currently using Autoglym Foaming Car Wash as it does a good job cleaning and leaves few if any residue or water spots.

3. Car Polish / Wax
I've used Meguiar's products for years; clay bar, compound, polish and wax. It's a LOT of work but the results are amazing. NOTE, I use their DA attachment on my electric drill along with the coloured pads for each of the three steps (compound, polish and wax).

4. Window Cleaner
Have yet to find a good one. Currently using Windex or windshield washer solution. I use Ammonia on the outside of the glass. Can't use it on the inside due to the tint film.

5. Tire Cleaner
I've tried at least 10 different brands, all provided the same result. Tire has a deep black colour, looks nice and shiny but turns a shade of brown after driving in the rain.

6. Vinyl Cleaner
I've been using Mother's Protectant on the dash pad and door caps. Other than being a bit too shiny, it appears to keep the Vinyl clean looking.

7. Leather Care
I'm currently using Leather Magic's products to touch up damage to the leather (my car was in California until 2015). They were able to mix up a dye to match the seats as well as the piping by using small samples I provided (cut from under a seat). They also have adhesive / patching material for tears as well as filler for cracks.

For cleaner and conditioner I use the Lexol products; #1 is the cleaner and #2 is the conditioner. The jury is still out on whether it is helping to soften the leather – I don't believe the previous owner (until 2015), ever treated the leather. BTW, when I had my first Scorpio (late '90s), I used Lexol Neatsfoot Oil, I found it didn't help other than make the leather feel 'waxy'. Pity as I know it always worked well on my baseball gloves. :-) I suspect it is because the Scorpio has 'coated' leather and ball gloves do not.

8. Fuel Injector Cleaner
I'm a big fan of Chevron Techron, unfortunately it is virtually impossible to find here in Canada unless you want to pay a serious amount of money.

9. Lubricant Additives
I like the Lucas products, it does what is says on the bottle. I've used their engine additive to quiet noisy lifters, their power steering additive for sticky or leaking rack and their transmission additive to improve shifting. All of these were added as part of a complete fluid and filter change.

10. Coolant
I try to avoid using 'flushing' solutions due to their caustic nature. Too many reports of coolant leakage in older vehicles as a result. The factory service manual for my Mercedes recommended a solution of Citric Acid powder and water as the best way to clean out a cooling system, worked well on my Merc but don't have any other corroborating feedback to share.

The most common coolants around today are called Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT), and Organic Acid Technology (OAT), whereas the 'old' stuff is Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) – Ethylene Glycol to you and me. The latter is recommended for vehicles manufactured before 1990. There is a great deal of information on the Internet on which coolants are best for older engines.

Looking forward to the feedback.
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: What Car Care Products Do You Use???

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Fresh Air Inspector wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:46 pm Hello All,

Been wanting to post this for some time now … what car care products do you use???

1. Cleaning Alloy Wheels
I found that ceramic brake pads create significantly less dust than organic pads. This is a bonus on Scorpio alloys with the small 'dust pockets'. My current wheel cleaner (my 6th or 7th brand) is Simoniz. I use this along with a 25mm (1”), paint brush (metal part wrapped with Duct Tape), to clean the 'pockets'. Only removes about 85 – 90%, still need to use my finger tips (Latex or Nitrile gloves), to get at the remainder. I do the wheels before washing the car.

For ~20 years I fought that battle with brushes and solutions and finger tips, only to ha e the pockets get filthy again after some driven miles. I gave up on that battle two years ago. Eff it/them. I'll live and drive better no longer caring about dirty wheel pockets, as long as the flat wheel surfaces stay decently clean after occasional waxing.

2. Car Wash Detergent
Currently using Autoglym Foaming Car Wash as it does a good job cleaning and leaves few if any residue or water spots.

Stopped using any/all cash wash solutions ~25 years ago because they all will remove some or all layers of "wax" on metal and produce fading on black trim and bumpers. I wash my cars using a soft bristle car wash brush with a long arm after hosing surfaces down with cool water.

3. Car Polish / Wax
I've used Meguiar's products for years; clay bar, compound, polish and wax. It's a LOT of work but the results are amazing. NOTE, I use their DA attachment on my electric drill along with the coloured pads for each of the three steps (compound, polish and wax).

I use Meguiars products (haven't use clay bar yet). I like Turtle Wax spray cleaner/wax for quick cleanups. Also Mother's which contains carnauba wax.

4. Window Cleaner
Have yet to find a good one. Currently using Windex or windshield washer solution. I use Ammonia on the outside of the glass. Can't use it on the inside due to the tint film.

Best I've found is an aerosol spray foam in a local car wash brand can. Not sure why it both cleans well and then wipes /drys easily without residue, but it does.

5. Tire Cleaner
I've tried at least 10 different brands, all provided the same result. Tire has a deep black colour, looks nice and shiny but turns a shade of brown after driving in the rain.

I don't wash/clean my tires (unless muddy) and just spray on a tire shine product (Mother's Tire Shine, currently).

6. Vinyl Cleaner
I've been using Mother's Protectant on the dash pad and door caps. Other than being a bit too shiny, it appears to keep the Vinyl clean looking.

I think every vinyl care product leaves a too shiny surface. I'll occasionally clean vinyl surfaces with Meguiars Tech Protect.

7. Leather Care
I'm currently using Leather Magic's products to touch up damage to the leather (my car was in California until 2015). They were able to mix up a dye to match the seats as well as the piping by using small samples I provided (cut from under a seat). They also have adhesive / patching material for tears as well as filler for cracks.

For cleaner and conditioner I use the Lexol products; #1 is the cleaner and #2 is the conditioner. The jury is still out on whether it is helping to soften the leather – I don't believe the previous owner (until 2015), ever treated the leather. BTW, when I had my first Scorpio (late '90s), I used Lexol Neatsfoot Oil, I found it didn't help other than make the leather feel 'waxy'. Pity as I know it always worked well on my baseball gloves. :-) I suspect it is because the Scorpio has 'coated' leather and ball gloves do not.

Still trying different lower cost leather care products; haven't found one yet that out performs others.

8. Fuel Injector Cleaner
I'm a big fan of Chevron Techron, unfortunately it is virtually impossible to find here in Canada unless you want to pay a serious amount of money.

I like Chevron Techron, but I'll buy any known brand name FI cleanercthst happens to be on sale, STP, Sea Foam, SuperTech, et al. I think the important think is to use a can/bottle with every thankful, so buying FI cleaners that are on sale works for me.

9. Lubricant Additives
I like the Lucas products, it does what is says on the bottle. I've used their engine additive to quiet noisy lifters, their power steering additive for sticky or leaking rack and their transmission additive to improve shifting. All of these were added as part of a complete fluid and filter change.

I use LubeGard products for the transmission and power steering.

10. Coolant
I try to avoid using 'flushing' solutions due to their caustic nature. Too many reports of coolant leakage in older vehicles as a result. The factory service manual for my Mercedes recommended a solution of Citric Acid powder and water as the best way to clean out a cooling system, worked well on my Merc but don't have any other corroborating feedback to share.

The most common coolants around today are called Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT), and Organic Acid Technology (OAT), whereas the 'old' stuff is Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) – Ethylene Glycol to you and me. The latter is recommended for vehicles manufactured before 1990. There is a great deal of information on the Internet on which coolants are best for older engines.

Looking forward to the feedback.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

I like Safelite's glass cleaner. It's foam, so nothing like runny Windex.
I'm sure it's just repackaged something, but I don't know what.

Otherwise I mostly use Adams stuff.
Mequiars Quik Detailer is ubiquitous at car shows.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I like the spray can of window cleaner but rarely buy it. I like the old green windex pro but never see it anymore. The Method spray bottles work great. The Orange is more for greasy surfaces, the pink and purple good all around, and the blue works the best for glass. It doesn't stink up the car like some products.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fresh Air Inspector »

Hello All,

Appreciate the feedback. Some of the products I have never heard of and will try them out in due course.

Stay safe!
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I also really really like the Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax. I don't use it on a dirty car however. I wash the car first. Then use the spray and some microfiber towels. It is so easy to apply and nearly as good as their synthetic wax. If there are any stains on the car, like from being parked under a tree, it is not the best. So then I use some other mothers or megs wax along with a healthy amount of elbow grease.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-G3 ... lsrc=aw.ds
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I am a big fan of "Project Farm" on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectFarm/videos

He did a big comparison of Ceramic (i.e., hydrophobic) car waxes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxKQwZah1s&t=18s

So I took his advise and bought a bottle of Turtlewax Hybrid Ceramic.

This stuff lasts a long time and it does not cost very much. Best car wax I have ever used.

I am pretty thrifty otherwise on car care products. If I can find car wash detergent cheap I'll buy it but otherwise I'll use dishwashing detergent for washing the car.

There is a store in the states call "Ollies" that has discounted auto care products. One time they had "Maguires Paint Protect". This stuff is silicone based, and initially looks great, but it's terminal phase after a few months is horrible and the paint acquires a "dirty haze" needs to be buffed out.
However, I have discovered that the stuff is fantastic on the cladding and rubber trim.

I have tried the plastic restorers, like "Wipe New". Again these work well initially, and they last a while, but they have bad terminal phases where they will erode away unevenly, so I don't use them anymore.

I also recommend a "fine cut" liquid compound to remove light scratches and other defects. There are many options. I happened to have picked up a large bottle at a car show a long time ago and it has lasted. Not sure of the brand. I think it was some guy trying to start a business.
Specialization is for Insects
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I should add, I like to use strong dishwashing detergent like Joy with very hot water to wash a newly purchased car. It strips off the wax very well and gets me down to a good start point. Also Krud Kutter or other similar products to remove any road tar or other junk. Sometimes you need to do these steps a couple of times.